Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/17/2016 7:31:13 PM EDT
Every now & then I'll get a scratch in my black phosphate lower. They're always small & I've used a fine point Sharpie before but it's usually a bit shiny. I have Casey's bluing touch-up pen - does anyone make one for the black phosphate?
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 11:00:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Tie a rope on it and drag it up and down the driveway a few times.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 11:19:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Scratches are like scars and should tell a story.  Don't worry about it.  A weapon is supposed to be used.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 11:38:07 PM EDT
[#3]
While the two responses are apparently witty and amusing they don't answer my question.

I found a Birchwood Casey blackening pen on Youtube so I'll order one & the problem is solved.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 5:07:56 PM EDT
[#4]
It's an AR for the most part you will learn to just embrace the scratches.

For the most part I've never found anything that does a good job of covering up scratches. I recommend looking into cerakote.

This is a battle rifle not some super grade Winchester or collectible M1 Garand.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 5:10:04 PM EDT
[#5]
it isn't phosphate or bluing it is anodizing. They make a pen or jar called alumablack that will be the closest match you will find to the anodizing. Degrease the spot first with brake cleaner or a strong degreaser. make sure it is completely cleaned and dry then apply. Let sit for a few minutes then wipe with clp. It will be like it never existed.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 7:06:57 PM EDT
[#6]
The alumablack or a sharpie would be your best bet. scratches don't mean you've abused or neglected the gun though, They're just scars of a well loved rifle. I've seen rifles with the black nearly stripped off still in use.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 7:35:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Dicropan t-4 from Brownells has worked good for me.It makes some parts look new , others close.  Its touchy on Aluminum, meaning it doesnt ALWAYS work.I have used on delta rings, handguards, and sight posts with good results. Also on pivot  pin heads.Amazing on carbon steel.Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 6:14:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Use a birch wood Casey aluminum black touch up with a qtip.

Then take some testers flat black hobby paint and cover it up.

Or do what I did, take the gun apart, throughly decrease your parts, heat in oven at 250 degrees for 30 min, if no oil grease is left, sand blast your parts with 100grit aluminum oxide, air blast the blast media off and then spray on your cerakote. Bake in oven at 250 degrees for 2 hours.

Voila! Scratch is gone!
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 5:00:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 5:14:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

We used mnu in the marines.Not very durable at all.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 8:34:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah we used it in the army too, it's not supposed to survive low crawling through sand and gravel, just make it flat black long enough to pass an inspection, which as the OP's title is about how to hide a scratch, it should work just fine.  I don't think sewing on a patch of cloth with a rank insignia on it would work very well for an ar, but those didn't get all scratched off down to metal either, so if that's what he's really looking for then maybe a canvas ar cozy would work well.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top