Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2016 8:57:14 AM EDT
Im sorry Im pretty sure this might be a redundant thread that shows up but I completed my build, Great.
Now im looking into what to clean and lube it with.
Ive read pretty much all of it. Fireclean, froglube, clp, slip2000, breakthrough, motor oil, anti seize etc etc.

Just asking for some simple feedback and opinions.
A really good buddy of mine uses breakthrough cleaner to simply spray and clean his weapons and then he uses the breakthrough oil to lube em?  
So is that simply gtg?

I got another buddy I know that uses Anti seize to lube the bcg and all that good stuff.
The anti seize seems like something (in my not so knowleagable opinion) that might lube the bcg longer??

But then I start wondering since it seems thick, wont the carbon stick more on it? gunk up?

Help give this new jack some general info

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 8:18:15 PM EDT
[#1]
You get the best/fastest results by using a dedicated bore clean to clean the bore and the parts.
This will remove carbon and copper fouling better and much faster then using a multi-purpose product like CLP.
CLP has little effect on copper fouling, but can keep it down in a hard chrome lined barrel.
It's just slow acting.

To lubricate, use a lubricant.  
For this CLP Breakfree is excellent both as a lube and to prevent corrosion.
In the field, you can also use it as a general purpose cleaner and lube, just like the military do to eliminate having to carry several bottles of maintenance products.
However, back at home use a bore cleaner to clean.

As for a thick product causing fouling to stick to the parts, a lot of experienced shooters are using grease as a lubricant on many parts.
Unlike liquid lubes, grease stays put and won't run off or dry out.
It doesn't "attract" fouling any more then a liquid lube does.

What counts is not what you lube with, what matters is that you DO lube.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 10:38:32 AM EDT
[#2]
FPNI.  Dedicated products for dedicated jobs.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 1:24:14 AM EDT
[#3]
This is something that is far too easy to overthink and complicate. Keep it simple for now with something like Breakfree CLP and Hoppes #9 and shoot the hell out of your new rifle.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 2:02:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is something that is far too easy to overthink and complicate. Keep it simple for now with something like Breakfree CLP and Hoppes #9 and shoot the hell out of your new rifle.
View Quote

I'm in this camp too.  But I skip the Hoppes unless the bore is really filthy.  Which it never is.  

.mil habits die hard.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 6:04:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Never Never use anti seize as a lubricate. It is not .. It will eat up metal . I know from experience from several million plus dollar equipment that I maintain. mANY GOOD PRODUCTS .   Honestly order yourself a Gallon jug of Breakfree CLP  and your done for a very very long time. WarDawg
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:46:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Never Never use anti seize as a lubricate. It is not .. It will eat up metal . I know from experience from several million plus dollar equipment that I maintain. mANY GOOD PRODUCTS .   Honestly order yourself a Gallon jug of Breakfree CLP  and your done for a very very long time. WarDawg
View Quote

Some antiseize can be used as a lube, just not On a AR.  Had more than one manufacture call out C-5A for some chain drives on power feeders for the wood working industry.

Glock put/puts what looks like c-5a on the slides from the factory.

op stick with breakfree or better for lube on the ar as posted.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:27:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I can't call out to what particular spec anti seize used but a rebuild company on several pieces of equipment   lubed the gear rack and gears with anti seize and they got ate up quick. maybe 6 months that should have lasted 8-10 years .   Only till we started to get slop in the movement  of certain  areas was when it was discovered.They had to foot the bill of $20,000 to go through and replace all the gear train  infected .  German company with pricey equipment  to up keep. I'll put it on high heat bolts and such. But not as a lube. WD
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top