Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2016 12:32:33 AM EDT
Looking to store toys in a tube buried in the ground long term (years). I've done a lot of research of rust preventatives but not in this application.

I understand Ezox and RIG are great for normal storage. Will they work in this application. What about Mil-Spec Cosmoline?

Toys will be stored in a plastic bag made for this then put in another vacuum sealed bad then sealed tight in a waterproof air tight pre bought or homemade PVC container.

Any input is appreciated and thanks!
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 2:07:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Looking to store toys in a tube buried in the ground long term (years). I've done a lot of research of rust preventatives but not in this application.

I understand Ezox and RIG are great for normal storage. Will they work in this application. What about Mil-Spec Cosmoline?

Toys will be stored in a plastic bag made for this then put in another vacuum sealed bad then sealed tight in a waterproof air tight pre bought or homemade PVC container.

Any input is appreciated and thanks!
View Quote

Vacuum seal weather tite storage. Maybe throw some silicon packets in there just in case.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 4:04:03 AM EDT
[#2]

So if I was looking for long term, unattended underground storage of firearms this is what I would do:

I would put a nice coat of oil on all the metal surfaces of rifle, a real good CLP.

Then I would put them in a Bore Store long term storage case.

Then I would put in a couple of desiccant packs and a few of the rust preventative vapor tabs (I think you can get them at Brownells along with the Bore Store cases).

I would then vacuum seal them in a bag and then do that again.

Then put them into the sealed PVC tubes and bury them.

If I was looking to bury guns that is what I would do. However if I got to the point that I feel I had to bury them then I have already lost.

Just Sayin'...

Link Posted: 5/10/2016 6:23:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Personally I'd use VCI bags, you don't even need to oil them and you'll get 20+ years of corrosion protection once sealed. Then throw them in a PVC tube or just bury em. I'm talking about 8mil thick bags, it's all I've ever used with great results.

http://www.polygunbag.com/
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 11:33:00 AM EDT
[#4]
55 gallon of cosmoline heated to liquid.

place rifle in pvc container, fill container with hot cosmoline, cap and forget about ever using the rifle again.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top