Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/1/2016 10:16:32 AM EDT
Has anyone ever used these? Typically moly has a cof of <1 and Tungsten Disulfide has a cof of 0.03. So are there any benefits or drawbacks of these tpe of dry lubes? To my knowledge, Tungsten Disulfide bonds to other metals and plastics and is better mechanically .

Can anyone shed light on these dry lubes for use in firearms?
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:51:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I've used the Archoil Line and I like it. I don't really have a favorite of any lube. I use a bunch. (Whatever is in arms reach.)

Link = http://www.archoil.com/ar4000-gun-oil/  

AR4200  & the AR4400

The 4200 is a dry lube (CLP), once the carrier evaporates, but the 4400 stays wet it Lasts a LONG TIME too, in the safe)

EDIT:  Wanted to note that I don't use any "Dry Lube" on my BCG. I like wet oils on my AR.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:59:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've used the Archoil Line and I like it. I don't really have a favorite of any lube. I use a bunch. (Whatever is in arms reach.)

Link = http://www.archoil.com/ar4000-gun-oil/  

AR4200  & the AR4400

The 4200 is a dry lube (CLP), once the carrier evaporates, but the 4400 stays wet it Lasts a LONG TIME too, in the safe)

EDIT:  Wanted to note that I don't use any "Dry Lube" on my BCG. I like wet oils on my AR.
View Quote

Thank you. I was asking because I'm thinking about adding a little to my current lube.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:43:02 PM EDT
[#3]

Thank you. I was asking because I'm thinking about adding a little to my current lube.
View Quote

I've mixed some Hexagonal Boron Nitride (hBN) Powder to some Mobil 1 and some Amsoil and it's fine. I had to drop 2 steel bearings in it as well, as it needs to be shaken before applied to mix with the oil.
I've also mixed up some Tungsten Disulfide (WS2) but threw it out, because it makes everything it touches BLACK.  (Messy as hell, in my opinion, and not worth it.)

Anyway - experiment away!  
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 2:15:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I've mixed some Hexagonal Boron Nitride (hBN) Powder to some Mobil 1 and some Amsoil and it's fine. I had to drop 2 steel bearings in it as well, as it needs to be shaken before applied to mix with the oil.
I've also mixed up some Tungsten Disulfide (WS2) but threw it out, because it makes everything it touches BLACK.  (Messy as hell, in my opinion, and not worth it.)

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I don't really care about black, but the fact that it bonds to nearly everything including all metal alloys and plastics, and is literally the most lubricious material on earth with a coefficient of friction being 0.03, I'll try it. Hows HBN?
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 9:20:54 PM EDT
[#5]

I don't really care about black, but the fact that it bonds to nearly everything including all metal alloys and plastics, and is literally the most lubricious material on earth with a coefficient of friction being 0.03, I'll try it. Hows HBN?
View Quote

I actually prefer the hBN. It's white and turns the oil a creamy FDE color.  But it lubricity is also low but its only at 0.15 and 0.70. But yes - the WS2 beats it.

If you are going to mix WS2 I'd suggest doing so in RemOil - or something that dries up quick. If you mix it in motor oil, like Mobil one, it stays liquid and can lift the WS2 from the surface. I think that's why they leave it or mix it with Drying "liquid" lubricant as the carrier. (hope I am saying it right so I can be understood). But basically the liquid carries the WS2 to the nooks and crevices and then dries so it leaves the dry WS2 for Lube. If it stays wet, it can migrate and move.

Maybe try to test it as a dry powder applying with a model paint brush, my only concern is in micro powder form, it can't be healthy to inhale. (I'm sure)  
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 8:53:33 AM EDT
[#6]
I picked up a can of dry lube airisol at Walmart, Can't remember the brand.   I shoot suppressed most of the time and CLP will give the occasional splash the the eye.  Used it yesterday on a prairie dog town for 100 rounds with no stoppages. I know 100 rds isn't much of a test, but so far so good. Going to give it another workout in about 2 hours
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 11:07:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I picked up a can of dry lube airisol at Walmart, Can't remember the brand.   I shoot suppressed most of the time and CLP will give the occasional splash the the eye.  Used it yesterday on a prairie dog town for 100 rounds with no stoppages. I know 100 rds isn't much of a test, but so far so good. Going to give it another workout in about 2 hours
View Quote

Don't use graphite. Mix it with aluminum and salt water/humidity and you'll corode the aluminum.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 11:09:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I actually prefer the hBN. It's white and turns the oil a creamy FDE color.  But it lubricity is also low but its only at 0.15 and 0.70. But yes - the WS2 beats it.

If you are going to mix WS2 I'd suggest doing so in RemOil - or something that dries up quick. If you mix it in motor oil, like Mobil one, it stays liquid and can lift the WS2 from the surface. I think that's why they leave it or mix it with Drying "liquid" lubricant as the carrier. (hope I am saying it right so I can be understood). But basically the liquid carries the WS2 to the nooks and crevices and then dries so it leaves the dry WS2 for Lube. If it stays wet, it can migrate and move.

Maybe try to test it as a dry powder applying with a model paint brush, my only concern is in micro powder form, it can't be healthy to inhale. (I'm sure)  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I was reading something on this an WS2, but apparently that myth has been debunked by several researchers. WS2 is slightly soluable, but whatever moving parts it touches in oil or dry it will bond to.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 12:02:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Cerakoating your upper receiver interior helps lower the friction coefficient.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top