Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2016 7:13:05 PM EDT
Ever since I can remember I have always liked the shiny blued finish on all my guns. The last 2 AR's I acquired have the parkerised look. Is there anything I can wipe on to give me a semi blued barrel and receivers?
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:30:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Short answer......PAINT.
There's nothing at all you can just wipe on.

Longer answer:
The steel "could" be polished and blued but that's going to cost at least $200 to get all the steel parts done.
There's no use doing the bolt and carrier since you can't see them much anyway, but the barrel, front sight assembly, ejection port cover and small parts can be blued.

The aluminum parts are anodized.  You can't blue aluminum like you can steel.
Stripping the anodized finish off, polishing the aluminum and re-anodizing to a dark shiny blue color is going to be VERY expensive, and will take a top aluminum firearms refinisher who knows his stuff.
Also, when anodizing is redone there is a certain amount of aluminum eroded off the parts, which could be a problem.

So, if you want a shiny blue AR, the most practical and by far the cheapest is going to be an epoxy gun paint like Lauer Duracoat who do sell a paint that "resembles" shiny blued steel.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 8:29:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I've gotten several parkerized barrels cerakoted graphite black and they have held up great. The ceramic finish is tough as hell and takes a lot to mar up, almost as good as a melonite treatment. No need to ever oil and won't rust under the harshest conditions. I think I paid $70 per bbl. I believe there are nearly a hundred or more colors, blue titanium may have the look you're after. If you go that route, go with cerakote H which is the high heat oven cure with hardener. I've tried Duracoat as well and can tell you Cerakote H pretty much blows ALL other finishes out of the water.

http://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/testing/*I'm not affiliated with any Cerakote company
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 9:22:20 AM EDT
[#3]
As stated above.  Not wipe on, but not bad for a painted surface:

GLOSSY BLACK -Very glossy black that looks like a black "blue-job" wet with oil.

Link Posted: 5/17/2016 10:52:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Bluing sucks.  You need to keep the natural hydrated with oil.

Moly resin makes good finished that protect very well.  Look into that.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top