Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/4/2016 11:50:53 PM EDT
Although I know all too well that spare parts turn into spare rifles, I have been working on getting my AR15 spare parts kit topped-off and squared-away.  Still want to add about ten more of each roll pin, but will look at bulk packs of pins from fastener suppliers.  Some other stuff is kept separate, like gas tubes and action springs, a well as accessories like slings, rail panels, furniture, and so on.  This kit is kept in my tool chest in the "AR tools" drawer.  It is portable and easy to pack up.  I became inspired after attending a Colt LE Armorers class last year and also because I wanted to get ahead of the coming political season and likely panic depletion of stuff.  I go to enough carbine classes and such that I wanted a kit that could keep my gun and others online.  It's hard to find the "perfect case" and this one sacrifices by not holding tools or the aforementioned items.  It is, however, a great builders kit and bench stock kit.  Labels are from P-Touch label maker I picked up years ago at Staples.  Case is available at Amazon (link in post below).  Anyway, here it is:

Top small parts compartment, using clear storage containers (like tic-tac boxes) and tubes found on Amazon.  I had to cut the tubes to fit, so they are a bit uneven and inconsistent in size.  It makes my OCD flare up, but works.  Included is an assortment of allen and torx screws from various mounts, rails, and so forth...handy for quick-fixes.

Bottom is the large parts compartment, including bags with FCG parts in matched sets.  I tend to keep the triggers, hammers, springs, and pins together when they come out of rifles or parts kits.  Mix and match with triggers and hammers can resulting random results, IME.

Close-up of mini “grab-n-go” tubes with pre-packed BCG rehab kit and a lower springs & pins kit.  I also have two with complete bolts.  These are super handy for jamming in range bag or tool bag.  The tubes were originally the shipping tubes for breaching rounds for EOD robots.

Lid is covered with SWAG stickers…because where else would you put them?

Edited to fix images!  If anyone has any suggestions or hints, or ics of your own set-up, show them off.  I know there are archived threads, but I also know that there are more than a handful of AR owners with similar or better kits, and only a few kits are posted in the older threads.  I want to continue to improve my kit, so the more ideas, the better.
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 12:48:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I've been contemplating throwing something like this together instead of having a junk drawer in my tool box filled with little baggies of parts.
Nice piece of kit OP.
How long did it take you to get all that together and about how much $?
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 1:37:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I've been building it since the sunset, as far as keeping extra parts here and there, and really started accumulating stuff after the '08 panic then the Sandy Hook panic. But I had a growth spurt in my safe, and built several rifles, depleting most of the "big parts" like bolts, carriers, extensions, etc. I really went after it the past few weeks on the EE and with vendors, selling, buying, trading to get ahead again.

Cost?  Well, I'd rather not know, but easily 800 in that kit. Easily, at current prices and from typical AR vendors. Maybe more. But it's good insurance and partially tax deductible with the armorer's certificate!

Hints? Buy when opportunity arises, trade out for small parts, buy bulk packs of pins and small parts from eBay and even Amazon. Recently found a 100 count bag of 1/16x1/4 roll pins (charging handle, rear sights) for $2.70 at local Fastenall, so I snagged them. Also had the 3/32x1/2 for bolt catch, 100 for $4. Beats the buck-a-pin prices everywhere else. The EE has gems frequently, but you have to watch like a hawk and be aggressive.  The ARFcom store is a great resource, too, with great prices on known good stuff. Damage Industries has good prices if you catch a sale, they seem to have improved their shipping prices, too. Brownells and WOA are good. A good way to start it to grab the WOA spare parts kit, a couple of LPKs, and bolt rebuild kits from BCM. Strike Industries catalogs super nice springs and pins kits, but they are hard to find in stock. Some sources offer off-line bulk pricing, so see if you can get a group buy going. I like good quality stuff, but some of the small parts can be found on Amazon from unknown origin...really, for getting a gun running a Chinese pin, spring, or bolt ring will be better than nothing. I have no idea where some of the Amazon eBay parts are made, but I assume the worst and decide accordingly what is probably worth buying. Bigger parts (selectors, TD pins, bolt catches, FCGs) are bought from the big name sources. Gun shows can also be a good source, but look for quality stuff and straight-shooting vendors. Don't forget to consider ticket cost in determining the true cost of fun show finds. Lastly, better surplus stores can be a place to find AR parts cheaply, including older used stuff.
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 1:47:25 AM EDT
[#3]
I really appreciate all the tips you gave. I definitely agree with landing quality stuff as it will likely prevent future headaches later. However, just like you mentioned, it absolutely does not hurt to have some unknown origin parts just for the sake of getting rifles back up and running quickly. It also doesn't piss you off as bad when you misplace no-name parts
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 9:38:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Pretty nice setup!  I'm new to this but have been trying to stock up on spare parts too.  I've been finding a lot of stuff on Amazon.
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 11:06:14 AM EDT
[#5]
That is sweet op.where to get that case for parts at.
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 11:23:49 AM EDT
[#6]
http://www.amazon.com/Plano-Molding-5231-Organizer-Porsche/dp/B000HJ9514/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1457191257&sr=8-8&keywords=parts+organizer

Showing $5.99 today, for the exact one I have, as an add-on purchase.  I think Amazon's about to run out of them...LOL.

Note, original post edited with more info.
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 11:49:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Can you post up a link for your spring storage tubes you said you got from amazon?

I can't seem to find them.

Your kit looks awesome! You have inspired me :)
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 12:25:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Awesome, thanks for the links.
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 12:31:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Although I know all too well that spare parts turn into spare rifles, I have been working on getting my AR15 spare parts kit topped-off and squared-away.  Still want to add about ten more of each roll pin, but will look at bulk packs of pins from fastener suppliers.  Some other stuff is kept separate, like gas tubes and action springs, a well as accessories like slings, rail panels, furniture, and so on.  This kit is kept in my tool chest in the "AR tools" drawer.  It is portable and easy to pack up.  I became inspired after attending a Colt LE Armorers class last year and also because I wanted to get ahead of the coming political season and likely panic depletion of stuff.  I go to enough carbine classes and such that I wanted a kit that could keep my gun and others online.  It's hard to find the "perfect case" and this one sacrifices by not holding tools or the aforementioned items.  It is, however, a great builders kit and bench stock kit.  Labels are from P-Touch label maker I picked up years ago at Staples.  Case is available at Amazon (link in post below).  Anyway, here it is:

Top small parts compartment, using clear storage containers (like tic-tac boxes) and tubes found on Amazon.  I had to cut the tubes to fit, so they are a bit uneven and inconsistent in size.  It makes my OCD flare up, but works.  Included is an assortment of allen and torx screws from various mounts, rails, and so forth...handy for quick-fixes.

<a href="http://s499.photobucket.com/user/C2Installs/media/IMG_9929_zpsrvb66heh.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr351/C2Installs/IMG_9929_zpsrvb66heh.jpg</a>

Bottom is the large parts compartment, including bags with FCG parts in matched sets.  I tend to keep the triggers, hammers, springs, and pins together when they come out of rifles or parts kits.  Mix and match with triggers and hammers can resulting random results, IME.

<a href="http://s499.photobucket.com/user/C2Installs/media/IMG_9931_zpsd81tboll.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr351/C2Installs/IMG_9931_zpsd81tboll.jpg</a>

Close-up of mini “grab-n-go” tubes with pre-packed BCG rehab kit and a lower springs & pins kit.  I also have two with complete bolts.  These are super handy for jamming in range bag or tool bag.  The tubes were originally the shipping tubes for breaching rounds for EOD robots.

<a href="http://s499.photobucket.com/user/C2Installs/media/IMG_9932_zpsvckkduuy.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr351/C2Installs/IMG_9932_zpsvckkduuy.jpg</a>

Lid is covered with SWAG stickers…because where else would you put them?

<a href="http://s499.photobucket.com/user/C2Installs/media/IMG_9930_zpsq61wxfzg.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr351/C2Installs/IMG_9930_zpsq61wxfzg.jpg</a>

Edited to fix images!  If anyone has any suggestions or hints, or ics of your own set-up, show them off.  I know there are archived threads, but I also know that there are more than a handful of AR owners with similar or better kits, and only a few kits are posted in the older threads.  I want to continue to improve my kit, so the more ideas, the better.
View Quote

Wow, I like that. I may have to build a kit like that.
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 12:36:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 2:28:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

You and me both. It sure beats the hell out of a bunch of sharpy labeled sandwich bags tossed in your miscellaneous tool box drawer
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 4:42:41 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd have to say that you've inspired me...all my stuff is tossed haphazardly into a drawer and not 10 feet away I have a pile of Plano tackle StowAways sitting unused that could be repurposed. Something for the to-do list!
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 8:22:12 PM EDT
[#15]
FYI, Northern Tool had those Plano cases on stock locally this weekend.  They were about $13 there, for those who might not have Prime or otherwise patronize Amazon.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 3:40:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Wow So cool! I am going to steal your idea if you do not mind!! I have a whole bunch of spare parts just in 1 box and looking for a detent or detent spring is a PIA. Beautiful organization and I thank you for the pics!
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 11:26:18 AM EDT
[#17]
ehh.....my system, which is no system, I have parts all over. Keeps the brain fresh and I'm always pleasantly surprised when I go directly to a given drawer or box and find what I need

Great job OP, I seriously need to do this.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 11:34:25 AM EDT
[#18]
I started accumulating multiple spares of everything minus receivers, barrels and handguards, I only keep one spare of each of those. I sure do wish mine was organized like yours. I just bought a bunch of the small ziplock bags(1"X1", 2"X2", 4"X6" etc) and put my parts in those and included a small handwritten label inside each one with part name, manufacturer, date purchased etc. Then I just put them in a 12"X5"X6" locking bin. I don't often need to use any of my spares but when I do it often ends up with the whole bin dumped out because I can't find the selector detent and spring(my most often replaced parts by FAR).

I feel inspired by your pics and organization.....hopefully I don't lose it before I get to it!
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 12:19:09 AM EDT
[#19]
I organized all my parts about 5 months ago.  I was going to use the lower cost organizers like the OP but I have had the little plastic locking tabs or the plastic hinges break and the contents go everywhere.  I opted for the Millwaukee small parts organizers.  They are really nice, very strong (I can stand on them), the individual bins come out and the cases lock together as you can see in the picture.  You can remove any individual bin to make room for larger items. The lid has tabs that will hold all the other trays in place once it's closed if you leave any bins out.  They cost $25 each but are well worth it.  The cases are 18inx14inx4in.  

The top case holds all my LPK parts minus the triggers.  I have all the individual springs, pins, safeties, castle nuts, QD end played and etc.. in those plastic tube/ canister containers.  I bought them off EBay.  They are actually nice little containers, seal up tight (screw on caps) and low cost.  I then labeled each canister with its contents.  

The second case has mostly triggers, muzzle devices and some buffer tubes. I obviously have a sickness as you can see.

The third case which I did not show has more buffer tubes, BCG's, muzzle devices and other misc. items.  

Link Posted: 3/19/2016 8:41:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Whoa ! Now that's what i call a good spare parts collection.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 9:09:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Nice.  I've got all my small parts in little plastic tackle boxes.  Four of them fit nicely in a 50 cal. Ammo can.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 4:51:59 PM EDT
[#22]
QtrHorse,

Do you have a link for the containers you purchased from Ebay?

From looking at your photos, those are three individual Milwaukee Organizers stacked on top of each other; correct?

You clowns on this site just keep costing me money.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 5:36:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
QtrHorse,

Do you have a link for the containers you purchased from Ebay?

From looking at your photos, those are three individual Milwaukee Organizers stacked on top of each other; correct?

You clowns on this site just keep costing me money.
View Quote

The business on Ebay is called decojars.  She sells lots of different sizes and lot sizes.  I emailed her and asked if she would sell me 10 of 7 different sizes so I could see what worked best for my parts.  The containers were cheap and she is great to work with.  She will only sell through EBay though.  I think she sells on Etsy but I don't have an account there.  You can Google decojars and all her links come up.  Below is s link to one size of containers.

If you want the part numbers from any of the little containers I have, let me know. You can search for specific parts numbers on her EBay store.

Yes, three separate Milwaukee organizers.  Each case latches to the next easily and securely in the sides.  I did not post any pictures of the sides.

Small Containers (Decojars)
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 12:39:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Where did you get the label maker?
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 8:08:42 PM EDT
[#25]
QtrHrse:  Looks good, that's a big kit and a lot of high-end "extras."  I have a large organizer put away with a number of odds and ends and larger components.  The kit shown in the OP was designed to be very portable and also fit in my tool chest, as shown below.

That's a Milwaukee combo chest that's pretty big.  Got it at Home Depot late last year.  The drawer shown is all my armorer tools, minus socket wrenches and torque wrenches.  The spare parts kit fits to within a 1/4" of the drawer's depth.  This way I only have one spot to go to for most gun tasks.

UPDATE:

I figured out a way to cheat and save money on H2 & H3 buffers...Damage had a sale on standard carbine buffers for $6.50 each a couple of weeks ago.  I bought a couple and then ordered a half dozen tungsten weights from KAK.  I made a H2 and H3, and still have a weight left to make a H1 or adjust weight in another (I now have a small selection of standard weights, too, from swapping out).  I used a metal die stamp kit that I've had for ages to mark them appropriately.  I figure I saved about $30 bucks or so, and it was a fun learning experience.  So , now the kit has one each of standard through H3-weighted buffers.

Changed the lower half around a bit, as I really wanted to get some carbine action springs in there.  So I notched/cut out the rear-most compartment's molded divider to make a larger compartment.

Now I'm going to get my mags organized...
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 8:15:27 PM EDT
[#26]
I use a tackle box for my small parts, I actually need a few more.
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 8:27:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Impressive to say the least. Cool for sharing OP.  
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 9:29:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Where did you get the label maker?
View Quote

It's a Brother PT-D600.  I bought it at Office Depot for $50.  Regular price is $100, it's typically on sale for $59 1-2 weeks per month there and sometimes goes on sale for $50.  It's a really good label maker.  You can download images and print them on labels.  Lots of different size and colors of tape and different types of tape.
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 9:40:53 PM EDT
[#29]
C2Installs.....

I have a large Gladiator 7 drawer roll around chest that I store a lot more parts and my firearms tools in.  I will try to get some pictures of that up as well.  I keep the Mileaukee parts organizers under my workbench and the roll around Gladiator chest next to it.  I mainly use the workbench for gun work or working on electronics.

Those Mileaukee roll around chests are very nice.  

Your cheap buffer idea is what I tell people often.  You can buy those low cost buffers and then make any weight buffer you want.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 2:52:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Very impressive, you must be a serious shooter.  I usually make do with two of everything, LOL.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 12:37:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Well, thanks to C2Installs and his thread my wallet is now $30 lighter.

I went to Home Depot last night looking for one of the Milwaukee containers QtrHorse posted, but I couldn't find that exact container however they had numerous containers that would satisfy the most OCD ARFCOM member's desire, so I went from this:
" />

to this:
" />
" />
" />
" />
" />
" />
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 12:39:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Now off to Ebay to acquire some of the small containers QtrHorse uses.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 12:53:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Nice...fill it up.  LOL.  I like that it's made in Israel...seems fitting somehow.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 1:27:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Nice...fill it up.  LOL.  I like that it's made in Israel...seems fitting somehow.
View Quote

Yep, that's a big box for so few parts.....that'll change. I've focused more on rifles and optics then I have parts.

I'm particular about the country of origin, seen it was made in Israel and I told my daughter "this is good to go."
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 2:10:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Very nice!  I have smaller parts bins, tackle box inserts, from wally mart.  Most of my spare parts are in rifles.  

My MBT spare parts are still on back order at Larue.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 2:26:09 PM EDT
[#36]
View Quote

The Husky cantilever small parts organizers are nicely made as well and have a lot of little compartments.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 2:31:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Very nice!  I have smaller parts bins, tackle box inserts, from wally mart.  Most of my spare parts are in rifles.  

Sadly or happily, not sure which is more appropriate.... Spare parts tend to turn into more rifles for me.

My MBT spare parts are still on back order at Larue.  

LOL.... I tend to give Mark a lot of crap about anything I can such as long lead times.  I think it's just because he rubbed me really wrong (like a bad high school jock strap) in the beginning.  He does put out great items and the little things he does like all the freebies/ donations to people is awesome.

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/24/2016 2:46:01 PM EDT
[#38]
The top and bottom "compartments" are removable so you may store longer parts that a single compartment will handle. The Husky is like the Milwaukee container, they are made to stack on top of each other.

Not sure what happened to my pics above.......I logged back in and see they've turned sideways, lol.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 11:21:51 AM EDT
[#39]
This site makes me buy stuff lol

I guess this weekend I'll be upgrading from a cardboard box full of Sharpie labeled baggies to something better.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 10:03:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Nice I have two boxes like that full of small parts.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 10:37:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I organized all my parts about 5 months ago.  I was going to use the lower cost organizers like the OP but I have had the little plastic locking tabs or the plastic hinges break and the contents go everywhere.  I opted for the Millwaukee small parts organizers.  They are really nice, very strong (I can stand on them), the individual bins come out and the cases lock together as you can see in the picture.  You can remove any individual bin to make room for larger items. The lid has tabs that will hold all the other trays in place once it's closed if you leave any bins out.  They cost $25 each but are well worth it.  The cases are 18inx14inx4in.  

The top case holds all my LPK parts minus the triggers.  I have all the individual springs, pins, safeties, castle nuts, QD end played and etc.. in those plastic tube/ canister containers.  I bought them off EBay.  They are actually nice little containers, seal up tight (screw on caps) and low cost.  I then labeled each canister with its contents.  

The second case has mostly triggers, muzzle devices and some buffer tubes. I obviously have a sickness as you can see.

The third case which I did not show has more buffer tubes, BCG's, muzzle devices and other misc. items.  

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg153/qtrhorse13/Firearms/image.jpg1_4.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg153/qtrhorse13/Firearms/image.jpg2_3.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg153/qtrhorse13/Firearms/image.jpg9.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg153/qtrhorse13/Firearms/image.jpg8_1.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg153/qtrhorse13/Firearms/image.jpg4_2.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg153/qtrhorse13/Firearms/image.jpg5_1.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg153/qtrhorse13/Firearms/image.jpg6_1.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg153/qtrhorse13/Firearms/image.jpg11.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg153/qtrhorse13/Firearms/image.jpg13.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg153/qtrhorse13/Firearms/image.jpg12.jpg
View Quote

HOLY SHIT. AMAZING.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 9:05:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg153/qtrhorse13/Firearms/image.jpg1_4.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg153/qtrhorse13/Firearms/image.jpg2_3.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg153/qtrhorse13/Firearms/image.jpg9.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg153/qtrhorse13/Firearms/image.jpg8_1.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg153/qtrhorse13/Firearms/image.jpg4_2.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg153/qtrhorse13/Firearms/image.jpg5_1.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg153/qtrhorse13/Firearms/image.jpg6_1.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg153/qtrhorse13/Firearms/image.jpg11.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg153/qtrhorse13/Firearms/image.jpg13.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg153/qtrhorse13/Firearms/image.jpg12.jpg
View Quote

Very professionally done. You've inspired me to organize my parts and tools.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 9:35:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Nice set up.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 10:00:09 AM EDT
[#44]
That is a sweet setup.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 2:25:55 AM EDT
[#45]
Bump
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 3:28:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Very cool
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top