Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/17/2016 10:07:01 PM EDT
As a general notion (I realize there maybe brand to brand differences),
which is BCG easier to clean, nickel boron or Nitride?

Link Posted: 2/18/2016 8:02:10 AM EDT
[#1]
In my opinion, the black nitride is easier to clean and is a better overall. Since it's not a coating you get added lubricity, case hardening, and better corrosion protection based on my experience. I say this because I have had a Rubber City Armory M16 black nitride BCG and a Fail Zero nickel boron coated BCG for some time now, the RCA BCG seems to be much easier to clean after a few hundred down the pipe(I hardly even oil it). Nickel Boron is just coating, it can flake off, and I notice wears more easily, in my experience. Whereas the nitride is chemically part of the metal several microns deep(.004-.008" IIRC). Nitride is similar to Melonite/tenifer/Ferritic Nitrocarburizing, which also blows chrome lined out of the water in  every category(wear, lubricity, corrosion protection, etc.), and I own chrome lined and melonite qpq barrels. Also providing the base metal is a better steel with higher carbon content. Just my take...
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 11:33:51 AM EDT
[#2]
NiB is a fad. Nitride/Melonite QPQ is seems to do the job better.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 1:13:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a NiB and have had experience with melonited/nitrided bolts.

I'd say that melonite BCGs are easier to clean and that the darker color helps you to ignore cosmetic carbon and focus on cleaning the critical areas of the bolt.

Link Posted: 2/19/2016 4:15:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Nitride/QPQ/melonite .....I have 3 all from different mfg's and they all look like the day I bought them.  They are really slick and carbon comes right off.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 5:33:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I like my nickel boron bcg's better just because they are easier to see when cleaning them, you can actually see if you got them super clean.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 5:35:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I have 3 nitride bcg's and they all look brand new after thousands of rounds.  Very easy to clean.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 6:55:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I like my NIB-X BCG as well.  But know that once you fire it. (400 rds or so) it will be stained (darker color). Do not stress it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 8:22:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Hard chrome.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 1:37:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Hard chrome and np3 are the easiest by far
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 10:34:23 PM EDT
[#10]
My black nitride just wipes clean, I don't know how it could be any easier.
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 5:30:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Has anyone here ever tried Z-Max.
I was told its a micro lubricant and will soak into the metal at between 150 - 200 degrees F.  
This should make the part semi permanently lubed and super easy to clean.
Does this sound logical or just wishful thinking.
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 8:49:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hard chrome.
View Quote

This..Chrome FTW cause I said.
Link Posted: 3/17/2016 10:12:33 PM EDT
[#13]
gonna throw np3 coating in the ring. carbon just slides off
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 1:44:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
gonna throw np3 coating in the ring. carbon just slides off
View Quote

My bolt is NP3 Plus and I can confirm that.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 11:19:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Appearance or cosmetic issues aside, nickel-boron has a lower coefficient of friction (more slippery) and greater lubricity that nitride.   Believe it or not, it is harder, too.  It just stains over time.

I absolutely favor and use nitride -- for barrels.  But,  where lubricity is desired, NiB is better.
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 8:58:51 PM EDT
[#16]
hard chrome then nib

have all and to be honest, I clean them all the same so rarely notice but hard chrome and nib are....
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 10:52:13 PM EDT
[#17]
I think ANY of the above mentioned are worlds better than phosphate. I refuse to use phosphate. There is absolutely zero reason to run it when there are FAR better coatings/treatments these days. I used to use NiB, but after having one chip, I only use nitride now. IMHO, they are BOTH easily cleaned.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 3:02:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I think ANY of the above mentioned are worlds better than phosphate. I refuse to use phosphate. There is absolutely zero reason to run it when there are FAR better coatings/treatments these days. I used to use NiB, but after having one chip, I only use nitride now. IMHO, they are BOTH easily cleaned.
View Quote

respectfully this is one of the dumber comments ever posted here.  Phosphate has proven itself over time and works lubed, dry and as intended and in all theaters.  What's even more funny about your statement is that now retailers are seeing much higher returns on nitride bcgs as the temp treatment needs to be just right and many bolts with +500 round counts are seeing abnormal wear

some of you guys are too much
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 3:12:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't even.

I can wipe my phosphate down with a dry rag and it's 85% done. A little bit of solvent and it all comes off easily. I've never spent more than a couple minutes trying to clean a BCG
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 8:32:51 PM EDT
[#20]
I am a fan of a plain 'ol phosphated BCG. All the NiB bolts I see looked stained. Most of my customers buy them because they look cool and then complain because they stain.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 11:23:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I am a fan of a plain 'ol phosphated BCG. All the NiB bolts I see looked stained. Most of my customers buy them because they look cool and then complain because they stain.
View Quote

They do stain really quick, but they are also slicker than phosphated.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:02:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Chrome #1 then nitride. Nib 3 maybe even 4?
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:11:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:59:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Nickle boron coated BCG + Cerakoated interior = low friction coefficient

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 4:55:58 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a rifle with a nitride BCG and one with a NiB BCG....I find the nitride BCG easier to clean.  It also seems like the carbon doesn't like to stick to it as much so there is usually less to be cleaned off to begin with.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:20:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Chrome #1 then nitride. Nib 3 maybe even 4?
View Quote

I've been using chrome BCG's for a long time from Young's manufacturing and I have never had one chip or wear out prematurely and they wipe right off every time. I don't even use a cleaner. I usually just take them apart wipe them down with a cleaning patch and put them back into the upper.

Once in awhile when I've put a lot of rounds downrange they can get a little caked in the usual spots but it still comes right off with a little bit of CLP and done.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top