Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2016 10:39:59 PM EDT
I put a little CLP in an small Rem Oil container because it has a long straw that makes it easy to drip oil on parts. The container is clear and for some reason the CLP turns green after awhile. I suspect that the light causes this greening. Does anyone know what is going on and if it changes the oil?
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 11:49:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Is it Breakfree? I thought it has a greenish tint to it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 2:49:45 PM EDT
[#2]
The light proof CLP bottle is on the left. The center glass jar has oil just poured out of the bottle (it is brown). The clear container on the right shows that the CLP in it has turned green over time.
" />
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 3:46:04 PM EDT
[#3]
That has to be some weird reaction to the plastic that bottle is made of.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 4:24:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I have some really old CLP in the original container that is still normal.  

I have a bunch of mini bottles with CLP that have been around at least two years and they are normal.  These are lab grade inert plastic containers.

Your rem oil bottle is probably pregnanted with some rem factory green spooge.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 9:34:33 PM EDT
[#5]
It has to be contaminated with Rem-Oil or a reaction with the plastic bottle.

I have some CLP Breakfree in a small plastic bottle with a needle tip and it's still amber colored after a year.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 8:17:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I've found USGI BF CLP to turn green when left out in the air on certain metals. IIRC on brushes it will turn green, which is likely a chemical reaction in the copper.

I'm pretty sure it turns green on dried out patches. However, it's never turned green on a gun for me. Just thick yellow gunk.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 8:28:36 PM EDT
[#7]
This is a technical forum - Andrewphillipf
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 8:45:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 9:49:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a concern and you laugh about it without saying why. Where is a moderator when you need one?
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 1:16:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 10:58:00 PM EDT
[#11]
It might be a reaction to some rem oil residue. I bought a few needler bottles that were new and have one with breakfree clp. It has never turned a different color.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 11:08:27 PM EDT
[#12]
As stated, probably because of the remoil bottle.  I have clp in original semi transparent bottles thats more than 10 years old, and aside from all the teflon becoming a wad on the bottom, same color.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 5:45:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Order some of the small USGI CLP/LSA squeeze bottles.  I find them for about $1 at knob creek and online too.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:10:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That has to be some weird reaction to the plastic that bottle is made of.
View Quote

I have to concur with this. The CLP contains a solvent in it that is probably reacting with the plastic. Probably combining with air or some such, it turns green.

The question is if you can still use it. I believe it will still protect and lube but I doubt it would work as a solvent very well.

I recommend storing in lab approved containers. It would ensure that the content isn't affected in anyway.

For the record, I never had CLP or anything change color on me. I have heard of Hoppe changing color in light and it is why they come in a brown bottle.

I use a brown glass lab bottle with a eye dropper in it to store my mc2500 oil in it. Hasn't caused me any problems.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 6:15:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Breakfree doesn't play nice with other oils.
I once lube my revolvers with Breakfree and then later on used Baristol and a year later the actions were all gummed up.
Had to Gunscrubber the insides and relube with Breakfree.
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 6:26:19 PM EDT
[#16]
You probably have it mixed with another product.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:07:06 AM EDT
[#17]
I was in a LGS last week and they were selling BF CLP in transparent bottles.  The green color of the liquid was identical to that of ColePC's pic.

They had factory BF CLP labels on them, but I had never seen CLP sold in transparent bottles before.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top