BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 1:06:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Motor oil is fine and probably works very well. Me personally, I don't want that stinky crap all over my rifle. Not to mention I prefer less toxic chemicals in the house where the kids could easily get into while I'm cleaning the firearms.

Quoted:
It always cracks me up when people think their AR (or any firearm) is some kind of "special" tool that requires fairy dust to keep it running.
It's a tool, same as any other tool. It operates under heat, gets carbon fouling, and operates at high speeds. Hmm... same as a motor. But hey, if you want to keep buying the latest and greatest fairy dust.. have at it. For the non special ed crowd... Motor oil works just fine.
View Quote

Wait, so those of us who choose to use something other than your all mighty motor oil is special ed
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 1:07:03 PM EDT
[#2]
CLP does three things half ass..
Cleans half ass
Lubricates half ass
Protects half ass

Thats why the .Mil used it...

We had to use it when punching the gun tubes on our tanks after a gunner cycle... it sucked.... We would spent our own money, run to the Commissary and get a can of Easy off oven clean.... way easier.

I will never pay for gun lube ever again....
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 1:12:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Motor oil is fine and probably works very well. Me personally, I don't want that stinky crap all over my rifle. Not to mention I prefer less toxic chemicals in the house where the kids could easily get into while I'm cleaning the firearms.

Wait, so those of us who choose to use something other than your all mighty motor oil is special ed
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
It always cracks me up when people think their AR (or any firearm) is some kind of "special" tool that requires fairy dust to keep it running.
It's a tool, same as any other tool. It operates under heat, gets carbon fouling, and operates at high speeds. Hmm... same as a motor. But hey, if you want to keep buying the latest and greatest fairy dust.. have at it. For the non special ed crowd... Motor oil works just fine.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean it that way. I was being sarcastic at the uninformed. People generally think just because the military uses CLP that it must be good. It's not. It "does all" very crappy (as others have already said). As a do all, it is a POOR choice for any task. There is no magic solution. CLP was designed to do all things, to save weight/supplies, for FIELD use.
CLP is the SPORK of firearm lubes. It sucks at everything, but if looking to minimize supplies, fits a need. If you could choose either a spoon or fork... Would you pick a SPORK?
Well then there's you're answer.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 4:52:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

ehudbengera,

I've heard many people have used it in their rifles. Synthetic oil is what they use and they always spout Mobil 1 is the best. I admit I never tried it. With all the gun oils I've collected through out the years I have enough to last an easy 5 years!!!
For now I'll just stick to Breakfree.

Impala
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is there any reason not to lube your AR with motor oil? If you do it, is there any reason to pick certain weights or synthetic vs. conventional?

ehudbengera,

I've heard many people have used it in their rifles. Synthetic oil is what they use and they always spout Mobil 1 is the best. I admit I never tried it. With all the gun oils I've collected through out the years I have enough to last an easy 5 years!!!
For now I'll just stick to Breakfree.

Impala

Mobile One 10w30 75% to ATF Fluid 25%
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 5:20:20 PM EDT
[#5]
What's cleaning like when using Mobil 1 for lube? And what solvent do you prefer to use on it?
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 9:43:21 PM EDT
[#6]
How well does Mobil One prevent corrosion?

A SEAL Master Chief once yelled at me for using CLP and not Mobil One..

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 9:54:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 4:35:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thanks
View Quote

Rightly so, if your not in the "field" you have no business using CLP (since, as said over and over... it SUCKS at everything). If you HAVE any choice (or supply) at ALL... you will chose a proper cleaner, a proper lube, and proper protectant. There is no question of that. There is ZERO excuse to us a crappy, "do all" product when you have the option to use proper products.
I wish the myth of CLP would die already, and that people would start using their brains and understand WHY CLP exists (and that it's not a good thing).
CLP- NO. Stop.
Unless you HAVE to... use proper products.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 8:16:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Rightly so, if your not in the "field" you have no business using CLP (since, as said over and over... it SUCKS at everything). If you HAVE any choice (or supply) at ALL... you will chose a proper cleaner, a proper lube, and proper protectant. There is no question of that. There is ZERO excuse to us a crappy, "do all" product when you have the option to use proper products.
I wish the myth of CLP would die already, and that people would start using their brains and understand WHY CLP exists (and that it's not a good thing).
CLP- NO. Stop.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

CLP- NO. Stop.

As YOU said, that's it. It's not the Gospel or anything. Now I might agree with you on the old CLPs (like BF) but with lubes like Slip, G96, Weaponshield, etc. That's not the case. There's absolutely no need to use a stand alone cleaner every time ( note I said every time) on an AR. With modern lubes most everything just wipes off anyway, then just reapply the lube. Maybe you're looking for a white glove inspection clean, which that would be retarded if so.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 4:30:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It is easy to remove.  I just use WD-40 as a solvent, wipe and blow it off, and re lube with Mobile One.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's cleaning like when using Mobil 1 for lube? And what solvent do you prefer to use on it?

It is easy to remove.  I just use WD-40 as a solvent, wipe and blow it off, and re lube with Mobile One.

Do things just wipe clean using the WD-40 as solvent?

I've been using CLP because I didn't know any better, and I always have to break out the plastic picks and old toothbrushes to clean. Then I relube with more CLP. Looking for better products now.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 5:04:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 3:40:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

As YOU said, that's it. It's not the Gospel or anything. Now I might agree with you on the old CLPs (like BF) but with lubes like Slip, G96, Weaponshield, etc. That's not the case. There's absolutely no need to use a stand alone cleaner every time ( note I said every time) on an AR. With modern lubes most everything just wipes off anyway, then just reapply the lube. Maybe you're looking for a white glove inspection clean, which that would be retarded if so.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

CLP- NO. Stop.

It's not just "as I've said", there have been MANY posters in here that have said so. Believe or not, don't care. It's your rifle, so do so as you see fit. I was just trying to offer an explanation as to WHY clp sucks (do you REALLY believe there is a "do all" product that excels at everything??). C'mon now... let's be grown ups here. CLP has gained popularity by two reasons: 1) .Gov uses it (which has already been explained as to why), and 2) pure laziness (for those that are too lazy to use TWO, that's right... a whopping TWO pruducts!..) to do the job that two products would do BETTER (and for what? it's not like their limited to just one product).
To each their own... but I think anyone worth their salt will tell you CLP is garbage, when other options are available to you, and that motor oil is the superior lubricant for your AR (since it DOES operate the same as a motor after all.. it's not a unicorn mystery machine that requires a special "lube).
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 6:58:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Any evidence as to how well Mobil 1 or synthetic motor oil does for corrosion prevention?  I live near the ocean so that is a concern for me.
Thanks
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 8:37:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It's not just "as I've said", there have been MANY posters in here that have said so. Believe or not, don't care. It's your rifle, so do so as you see fit. I was just trying to offer an explanation as to WHY clp sucks (do you REALLY believe there is a "do all" product that excels at everything??). C'mon now... let's be grown ups here. CLP has gained popularity by two reasons: 1) .Gov uses it (which has already been explained as to why), and 2) pure laziness (for those that are too lazy to use TWO, that's right... a whopping TWO pruducts!..) to do the job that two products would do BETTER (and for what? it's not like their limited to just one product).
To each their own... but I think anyone worth their salt will tell you CLP is garbage, when other options are available to you, and that motor oil is the superior lubricant for your AR (since it DOES operate the same as a motor after all.. it's not a unicorn mystery machine that requires a special "lube).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

CLP- NO. Stop.

This "garbage, do all" product did pretty well if I do say so myself. If CLP was such garbage as you say how did this happen?

Fact is most "CLPs" these days are really LPs in that they don't contain a solvent, only lube, and they rely on keeping carbon from sticking and wiping clean rather than needing a solvent. I'm not saying the AR requires a special lube, I'm saying that CLP does just fine whether you think so our not as proved by previous link. Would motor oil have done as good, or better? Maybe, maybe not. If so, by how much? Would it even be measurable? You said it yourself, "it's not a unicorn mystery machine that requires a special lube" so CLP will work just fine
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 9:01:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 9:57:30 AM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

Very good article, I forgot about that one. I actually tried the Lubriplate oil and grease from his site but for some reason I didn't care for it. Not really sure why.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 10:38:13 AM EDT
[#17]

Originally Posted By
<g class="gr_ gr_16 gr-alert gr_spell gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" id="16" data-gr-id="16">socommatthews</g>:

Very good article, I forgot about that one. I actually tried the Lubriplate oil and grease from his site but for some
<g class="gr_ gr_15 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_run_anim Punctuation only-ins replaceWithoutSep" id="15" data-gr-id="15">reason</g> I didn't care for it. Not really sure why.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By
<g class="gr_ gr_16 gr-alert gr_spell gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" id="16" data-gr-id="16">socommatthews</g>:

Quoted:

<g class="gr_ gr_12 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_run_anim Grammar multiReplace" id="12" data-gr-id="12">Nobody posted</g> this yet?

http://www.grantcunningham.com/2006/05/lubrication-101/

Very good article, I forgot about that one. I actually tried the Lubriplate oil and grease from his site but for some
<g class="gr_ gr_15 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_run_anim Punctuation only-ins replaceWithoutSep" id="15" data-gr-id="15">reason</g> I didn't care for it. Not really sure why.

I got the Nyoil that he mentions in that article, it is really good.

Link Posted: 7/13/2016 11:02:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Anyone ever try Super Lube 51004 ?
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 12:54:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This "garbage, do all" product did pretty well if I do say so myself. If CLP was such garbage as you say how did this happen?

Fact is most "CLPs" these days are really LPs in that they don't contain a solvent, only lube, and they rely on keeping carbon from sticking and wiping clean rather than needing a solvent. I'm not saying the AR requires a special lube, I'm saying that CLP does just fine whether you think so our not as proved by previous link. Would motor oil have done as good, or better? Maybe, maybe not. If so, by how much? Would it even be measurable? You said it yourself, "it's not a unicorn mystery machine that requires a special lube" so CLP will work just fine
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

CLP- NO. Stop.

You could piss on it and it would probably  "do pretty well". Does that mean piss is a great choice? No. Sporks do "pretty well" as a fork and spoon. Does that make it a great product as either? No. "Cross training" sneakers do "pretty well" at a few things, does that make them great at ANY sport? No. Shall I go on?
Choose whatever you want, but don't try to convince us (yes, not just me. Check the replies in here) that a "do all" actuall does ALL great. It does not.
People need to get past this "well the military uses it!". It's already been stated why they do. It is a compromise product that reduces the bulk/weight/complexity of carrying each separate proper product.
I'm a civi, and I CAN (and do) chose a PROPER product, since I have the choice. IF I could only have ONE product to take with me... sure, CLP it is. But I'm not in combat, so there is absolutely ZERO reason for me to use a subpar "compromise" product.
That's all I have to say on this matter. To each their own. It's your rifle to do with what you please.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 3:40:39 AM EDT
[#20]
LOL whatever man. I'm not trying to convince anyone, you are. I say they both work and there's no proof that your method works any better than mine (unless I missed it, did you post something?). I think the most important thing is that you use something to lube with.  Your rifle will work just fine on motor oil or CLP.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 1:10:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
LOL whatever man. I'm not trying to convince anyone, you are. I say they both work and there's no proof that your method works any better than mine (unless I missed it, did you post something?). I think the most important thing is that you use something to lube with.  Your rifle will work just fine on motor oil or CLP.
View Quote

Umm... There is plenty "proof" that CLP (the magic "does all, yet nothing great") lacks compared to other products. Have you researched cook off point? Evaporative points (did you ever think that any cleaner evaporates? Well it does).
But hey, I guess CLP is so great I'll use it in my motor! No, that would be silly, just as it is for the AR (a machine), unless there were better options. Like, I don't know, maybe motor oil? ;-)
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 8:00:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Umm... There is plenty "proof" that CLP (the magic "does all, yet nothing great") lacks compared to other products. Have you researched cook off point? Evaporative points (did you ever think that any cleaner evaporates? Well it does).
But hey, I guess CLP is so great I'll use it in my motor! No, that would be silly, just as it is for the AR (a machine), unless there were better options. Like, I don't know, maybe motor oil? ;-)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well if you've actually been reading post instead of talking out of... well anyway, the vast majority of CLPs today (Slip, Weaponshield, etc) DOES NOT CONTAIN SOLVENT. They're just lube/preservative. t think you're just using Breakfree as your only comparison and in that respect I agree. It's mediocre. Cook off? I don't have a select fire lower so I highly doubt I'll get my AR to the 500*+ Slip burns off at, even in this Texas sun. Everyone has their own opinion on what works. Believe it or not there are some who still think RemOil is good.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 10:19:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Is CLP the best? Of course not but if the military uses it it has to be "good enough". One product that does everything is going to be a compromise and I don't think anyone will argue otherwise.

I tried CLP and don't really think it saves me any time over separate products. I could argue it actually takes longer to thoroughly clean my gun. There is some in my bug out bag along with an OTIS kit.

I enjoy cleaning guns so I do not mind separate products. If you hate it and are looking for a cheap and quick way to get a good enough cleaning and lube than CLP is your product.

For me I have found that SLIP2000 works well. It does not dry up, carbon cleans off real easy and it does not get gummy if the gun sits for months. Yes the stuff cost like $40 for a quart sized bottle. In the big picture $40 is nothing compared to what I paid for my guns and all the ammo that goes downrange.

I may try motor oil on one gun to compare to Slip2000. Cooked carbon was a problem when I was using the Hoppe's oil that I have bottles of. Now I use that oil only on my old mil-surp bolt actions.

The key is to find a product that works for you.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:52:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Is CLP the best? Of course not but if the military uses it it has to be "good enough". One product that does everything is going to be a compromise and I don't think anyone will argue otherwise.

I tried CLP and don't really think it saves me any time over separate products. I could argue it actually takes longer to thoroughly clean my gun. There is some in my bug out bag along with an OTIS kit.

I enjoy cleaning guns so I do not mind separate products. If you hate it and are looking for a cheap and quick way to get a good enough cleaning and lube than CLP is your product.

For me I have found that SLIP2000 works well. It does not dry up, carbon cleans off real easy and it does not get gummy if the gun sits for months. Yes the stuff cost like $40 for a quart sized bottle. In the big picture $40 is nothing compared to what I paid for my guns and all the ammo that goes downrange.

I may try motor oil on one gun to compare to Slip2000. Cooked carbon was a problem when I was using the Hoppe's oil that I have bottles of. Now I use that oil only on my old mil-surp bolt actions.

The key is to find a product that works for you.
View Quote

Exactly. Nothing is the best in reality, it's each user's preference. For one it's Mobil 1, for another it's Slip 2000. As long as it's lubed with something chances are you'll be alright.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:58:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 5:25:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Sorry, but that is not correct.  There is a "best" for each service.  Or at least a "better".  And synthetic motor oil is "better" than CLP or other light oils.  See my earlier post in this thread.

That is basically correct.  Any lube is better than no lube.  But some lubes are "better" then others, and it has nothing to do with "what someone likes".

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly. Nothing is the best in reality, it's each user's preference.

Sorry, but that is not correct.  There is a "best" for each service.  Or at least a "better".  And synthetic motor oil is "better" than CLP or other light oils.  See my earlier post in this thread.

As long as it's lubed with something chances are you'll be alright.

That is basically correct.  Any lube is better than no lube.  But some lubes are "better" then others, and it has nothing to do with "what someone likes".

I've read your post and it was nothing but your opinion as is the whole rest of this thread. I've also read a lot of your blog post and have really enjoyed them. Grant Cunningham is also well respected and he disagrees with what you've stated (poor corrosion resistance and often contain benzine compounds). Look, I'm not against using motor oil but I have still yet to see any hard evidence that it will lube better than Slip, WS, MPro7 or the like in a Semi auto AR. I can't compare to a select fire as I don't have one
In the case of Filthy 14, how much better would motor oil have done? Would it be a measurable difference?

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 6:54:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 7:53:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

A slight correction.  It wasn't "my opinion".  It was the considered opinion of a guy with a PHD in this field and a whole career in lubricant use, design, and selection.

If you think you know more than him about this subject, then do as you please.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly. Nothing is the best in reality, it's each user's preference.

As long as it's lubed with something chances are you'll be alright.

I've read your post and it was nothing but your opinion as is the whole rest of this thread. I've also read a lot of your blog post and have really enjoyed them. Grant Cunningham is also well respected and he disagrees with what you've stated (poor corrosion resistance and often contain benzine compounds). Look, I'm not against using motor oil but I have still yet to see any hard evidence that it will lube better than Slip, WS, MPro7 or the like in a Semi auto AR. I can't compare to a select fire as I don't have one
In the case of Filthy 14, how much better would motor oil have done? Would it be a measurable difference?

A slight correction.  It wasn't "my opinion".  It was the considered opinion of a guy with a PHD in this field and a whole career in lubricant use, design, and selection.

If you think you know more than him about this subject, then do as you please.

I definitely am no professional but to say that motor oil is so much better than Slip needs some backing up. Engineers have opinions to :)
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 7:27:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I have used mobil 1 synthetic for years and love it.
View Quote

This. I first read of using it here, many years ago and because I was unhappy with CLP decided to give it a try. I would use it even if it came in a small, expensive bottle. It just works better for me as a lubricant.

My biggest issue with CLP was applying the lube, and it would run and if you lubed the gun and put it into a safe, the next time you got it out, bone dry. You can lube with Mobil 1, it stays wet for along time, and the lube mostly stays where you put it.

Also, using it makes cleaning easier. It seems to hold the carbon more in suspension, much easier to wipe off with a rag.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 7:29:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I have gallons of CLP.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is there any reason not to lube your AR with motor oil? If you do it, is there any reason to pick certain weights or synthetic vs. conventional?

I have gallons of CLP.

I have a large container of Breakfree I hardly use. It is a superior protector against rust than motor oil from all the tests I have seen.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 8:07:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Lol, I always get a chuckle from the non toxic lube people. Guns spew heavy metal particles all over the place. It doesn't matter if you can eat the lube the heavy metals make it toxic in short order.

Quoted:

Keep in mind that motor oil is highly toxic and usually contain additives in it that make it highly toxic to a human. It is not meant to be touched but poured into an engine and kept inside of an engine. While a lot of people will stand by motor oil, there's no telling what the long term effects are especially if you are a frequent shooter. Would you put your lips around a muffler and inhale the gas?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Keep in mind that motor oil is highly toxic and usually contain additives in it that make it highly toxic to a human. It is not meant to be touched but poured into an engine and kept inside of an engine. While a lot of people will stand by motor oil, there's no telling what the long term effects are especially if you are a frequent shooter. Would you put your lips around a muffler and inhale the gas?

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top