Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2016 1:04:03 PM EDT
I recently purchased a new Daniel Defense V11 SLW and I love it. The problem is all my friends love it too. They all come over and look at it and they want to pull the charging handle back and then pull the trigger. I have told everyone one of them not to do it but it still seems to happen far to much. Once the charging handle is pulled back and the trigger is engaged I there anyway to disengage the trigger without pulling the trigger resulting in a dry fire?
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 1:07:44 PM EDT
[#1]
You could remove the upper and slowly release the hammer.
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 1:15:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Like he said above.

Or you could just chill out a little. You are not going to hurt it.
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 1:15:28 PM EDT
[#3]
What are the concerns when the rifle is dry fired?
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 1:19:34 PM EDT
[#4]
It's ok to dry fire an AR.

At least that's what my Uncle taught me.

When I was 18, Sam made me dry fire it for a few day straight before he gave me any ammo.

But it's your gun, your rules.
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 7:52:55 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

That it be pointed in a safe direction in case someone messed up and it happened to be loaded.

As far as damage to the rifle from dry firing, there will be none, so long as it is done with the rifle assembled.  Dry firing the hammer on the lower with no upper installed may result in breaking the bolt catch, as the hammer can travel fully forward and possibly hit it.  With the upper installed, the hammer will come to rest on the rear of the BCG and firing pin, which is perfectly fine.

Link Posted: 1/11/2016 10:02:56 PM EDT
[#6]
If you insist on lowering the hammer without dry firing, simple pull the operating handle and bolt carrier to the rear about 1/4 way open and pull the trigger.
The hammer will only fall slightly and you can ease it the rest of the way closed.

Link Posted: 1/12/2016 12:16:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

None

Link Posted: 1/12/2016 10:14:45 AM EDT
[#8]
dont show them your dd ar.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 12:44:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Dry fire only after verifying the gun is unloaded and no round is in the chamber.

edit: personally I wouldn't let my friends dry fire it regardless if it was safe to do or not.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 8:36:42 AM EDT
[#10]
I have always been under the impression it's completely harmless to dry fire an AR....I sure hope it is, I've done it hundreds and hundreds of times.

Just in case you weren't aware, the charging handle only needs to be pulled back an inch or two to cock the hammer and allow a dry fire. I do it this way. I cringe when the majority of my buddies handle my AR or firearms in general. Anytime they pick up a semi-auto, they drop the mag, pull the slide/charging handle the whole way back and let it fly. Whether it's damaging or not (I've been told NOT to do that), it just pisses me off.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 3:53:36 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

dont show them your dd ar.
View Quote

LOL, sage wisdom right there!

That's exactly what I tell my kids if they want to bring something they really like in for show-and-tell. I say "don't show anyone anything unless your willing to have it pawed, scratched, broken, lost, abused or otherwise oopsied."

Just the reality. People will never value your shit like you will.

-Stooxie

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:28:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

In bootcamp we had a few days of "snapping in" before live fire. There is no harm
in dry firing your rifle.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:45:25 PM EDT
[#13]
If dry firing hurt id hate to know what wet firing would do
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 2:16:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Dry fire only after verifying the gun is unloaded and no round is in the chamber.

edit: personally I wouldn't let my friends dry fire it regardless if it was safe to do or not.
View Quote

Personally, I don't play with my guns and I especially don't let my friends play with them.

Unless I am cleaning one they stay where they belong in my safe.

They are not toys or amusement.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 6:06:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Personally, I don't play with my guns and I especially don't let my friends play with them.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dry firing is an effective and proven practice technique.  I would not call dry firing your AR or pistol "playing with your gun"
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 6:26:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I recently purchased a new Daniel Defense V11 SLW and I love it. The problem is all my friends love it too. They all come over and look at it and they want to pull the charging handle back and then pull the trigger. I have told everyone one of them not to do it but it still seems to happen far to much. Once the charging handle is pulled back and the trigger is engaged I there anyway to disengage the trigger without pulling the trigger resulting in a dry fire?
View Quote

It's very unfortunate but many burglary stories start this way. Friends tell friends and before you know it there's a rediculous myth of a 12k dollar machine gun in your home and bam. You've just made yourself a target. This does happen. You're better off just keeping that stuff put away. However. It would take many many thousands of dry fires to damage the ar. Slamming the bolt home with the release on an empty rifle causes more stress.

On a side note. After checking the rifle clear dry fire is the first thing I do when inspecting an ar. I want to feel the break and creep, and reset length of the trigger.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:10:39 PM EDT
[#17]
I make my son dry fire his AR fifty times or so before hunting season starts.  It's very good practice.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:29:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

The noise could wake a sleeping child. Thats a worst case scenario, though.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 3:54:46 AM EDT
[#19]
So long as the rifle is verified empty/safe... dry fire away. No harm to the AR.
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 10:25:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Dry firing is an effective and proven practice technique.  I would not call dry firing your AR or pistol "playing with your gun"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This I understand and there is a time for that.  I consider letting your friends fondle your guns for no other reason than to point them around the room and pull the trigger is...."playing with your gun"
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 10:32:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Relax. As long as the rifle is fully assembled and there isn't anything in the chamber the only thing you have to worry about is possibly replacing a firing pin a few weeks/month early.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:31:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1
We did dime drills at basic. Theyre not toys, true, theyre purpose builts tools and being able to handle them confidently is a must. They belong out of your safe for more than cleaning if you ask me. We had to sleep with our rifles in basic. Maybe you should give yours a stripper name..
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 6:13:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Says the person with 3,814 posts on a community dedicated to the AR-15? Seems like a pretty big amusement/hobby/interest of yours, or do you just go out to the range and are like "God I hate this! So terrible BANG BANG BANG. What a letdown BANG BANG BANG".

You can keep your guns in your safe and they can STILL provide amusement and be considered adult "toys".
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 7:53:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
This I understand and there is a time for that.  I consider letting your friends fondle your guns for no other reason than to point them around the room and pull the trigger is...."playing with your gun"

being a bit uppity, aren't ya?
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 12:52:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

+1
We did dime drills at basic. Theyre not toys, true, theyre purpose builts tools and being able to handle them confidently is a must. They belong out of your safe for more than cleaning if you ask me. We had to sleep with our rifles in basic. Maybe you should give yours a stripper name..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Mine is named shamiqua.

Link Posted: 3/15/2016 6:44:48 PM EDT
[#26]
that's a terrible stripper name..

try cinnamon...

or butter (she spreads easy)
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 7:13:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

13rs never disappoint...
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 7:47:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

13rs never disappoint...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

13rs never disappoint...

hey, I resent the generalization, I attribute it to location.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top