Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2016 12:02:25 AM EDT
Since early November, i've been running a rust test of various gun oils, and other commonly used products on guns.

The test media is an uncoated steel plate scribed into regions, degreased using acetone, and then heated with a hair dryer to drive off any excess moisture. While the plate was still warm, products were applied using a fresh q-tip for each box, and excess removed with another clean swab.

All of these were stored in an unheated garage here in central PA, which has a dryer exhaust pointing into it. humidity levels range from 40-90% depending on time of day and season. It's also not in direct sunlight, as UV will break down most light hydrocarbon based oils, something many other product corrosion tests haven't taken into account.

From left to right:

1 - Control
2 - Weapon Shield CLP
3 - FP-10
4 - Break Free CLP (Aerosol)
5 - Break Free CLP (Liquid)
6 - G96 Gun Treatment (Aerosol)
7 - Gunslick Gun-Seal Rust Preventative
8 - Super lube Synthetic Lubricant with PTFE (Aerosol)
9 - M-Pro 7 LPX
10 - Royal Purple Gun Oil
11 - G96 CLP (Current Mil Spec CLP)

12 - Control
13 - Corrosion X Red Can (Aerosol)
14 - 3 in 1 oil
15 - Superlube Oil with PTFE
16 - Marvel Mystery Oil
17 - Ballistol
18 - Hoppe's 9 Bore Cleaner
19 - Super Lube Synthetic Grease
20 - Zoom Spout Oiler ( Turbine Oil )
21 - Facial Oil / Nose Grease
22 - empty area

11/1

11/6

11/20

01/07/16

Link Posted: 1/9/2016 12:02:55 AM EDT
[#1]
For future use / errata

I should also note, I only checked this plate about once a week, and didn't take a photo unless corrosion was observed.

Image's are refusing to directly embed, for some reason.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 4:01:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Interesting, keep us posted!
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 6:37:54 PM EDT
[#3]
good job, keep us up to date.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 12:19:17 PM EDT
[#4]
These tests are cool, but my guns aren't unfinished steel. I've used tons of different oils and lubes and lived an humid climates and guns have sit in the safe for months at a time and have had no issues.

I'd like to see these tests, long term, with actual AR parts.

Not crapping on you OP.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 1:32:35 PM EDT
[#5]
About the only thing on an AR that will rust is an BCG or a barrel, which would make this kinda expensive, I suppose you could use flash hiders.

Rust can and will take hold on anything not oiled in humid environments, I've seen light rust covering an ak47 and ruger 10/22 that was sprayed with rem oil and then not checked for 3 years.

For that matter my dad also has a an AR with a stainless steel barrel that is often with him when he works on the farm, neither of us thought stainless steel would need to be oiled but a few months later the barrel was starting to get spots of rust, and the inside of the muzzle brake was a rusted mess.
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 3:17:20 PM EDT
[#6]
no mobil 1?
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 10:08:39 PM EDT
[#7]
The problem with these rust tests is that even done under virtually laboratory conditions and protocols the results vary so wildly as to be useless.

Just as an example, CLP Breakfree is well known as being an excellent rust proofing lube with very good field results.
However in various posters tests I've seen CLP range from #one to absolutely dead last of over a dozen products.
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 10:55:41 PM EDT
[#8]
similar test at marlinowners from 2012. This one convinced me to get some WD40 Corrosion Inhibitor ( different than regular WD40). Also convinced me to quit buy Rem Oil, it's crap.

Edit: pics start on post #39

Link Posted: 1/21/2016 5:41:48 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't understand your numbering of the plates. If top left is number one, how is bottom left number 18? Just can't tell what's what.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 12:42:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 2:26:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm surprised fireclean and frog lube isn't in there. Especially frog lube because every gun shop and their owner's mother carriers that
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 3:30:07 AM EDT
[#12]
My Remington 870 express matte finished shotgun and 700 hunting rifles are rust-o-matics unless kept well lubed. I use Breakfree, Mpro7, Rem-oil wipes, USGI CLP and Slip 2000 EWL.
They all work if I keep them applied but your test is bare metal so looks like everything worked except the Hoppes bore cleaner. I think the Rem oil will evaporate over time so anything I store gets a liberal dose of something heavier. Sand blast that same piece of steel and do the tests again. You might be surprised at the results. Good job and keep us posted!
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 7:27:22 PM EDT
[#13]
You forgot Hoppes gun oil, & Tetra gun lube.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 8:34:34 PM EDT
[#14]
I like these test, thank you for your efforts!
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top