Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/8/2016 8:24:45 AM EDT
So, I picked up a bottle of Hoppes #9 to try cleaning the cylinder face of my  GP100 Match Champion and I am really impressed with it. Does Hoppes make #9 in a spray? The bottle is a PITA. I want to switch from Break Free CLP to Hoppes on my non-blued guns. (I've read Hoppes removes bluing, not sure how true this is.)
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 8:44:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I use Hoppes #9 (bottle) and CLP both when cleaning.

Hoppes #9 has been in my cleaning kit since I was knee-high to a coke bottle.

Yes, Hoppes comes in a spray can:
http://www.amazon.com/Hoppes-905-Parent-No-9-Solvent/dp/B017VF8CUG

Never had it remove any bluing......
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 9:21:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Hoppes will not touch bluing, but can remove bright nickle or any finish that uses a copper layer on top of the base material before application of the final platting.

read the bottle.
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 9:27:48 AM EDT
[#3]
OK cool. I don't know where I read that it removed bluing; the internets obviously.

Thanks for the input, I'll be picking up a can of spray.
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 11:16:07 AM EDT
[#4]
I use the lead away cleaning cloths to clean the cylinder faces of my stainless revolvers.  Much easier.  They WILL, however, remove bluing from a gun.
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 11:24:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use the lead away cleaning cloths to clean the cylinder faces of my stainless revolvers.  Much easier.  They WILL, however, remove bluing from a gun.
View Quote

Yeah, I looked at them and that was one of the reasons why I didn't buy them.
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 3:19:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
OK cool. I don't know where I read that it removed bluing; the internets obviously.

View Quote

The Hoppes #9 car air fresheners were nice, but I do not think they are available anymore - unless you find NOS
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 6:22:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The Hoppes #9 car air fresheners were nice, but I do not think they are available anymore - unless you find NOS
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It does smell good.
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 6:49:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Hoppes 9 is kind of like the WD 40 of powder solvents, people even soak bores overnight in the stuff to remove severe fouling. There's better / faster chemicals out there, but it's cheap and gets the job done.

CLP also works as a lubricant and anti-corrosion coating however; Hoppes 9 can actually cause rust if you don't apply an actual oil later on of some sort.
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 6:51:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Hoppes 9 is kind of like the WD 40 of powder solvents, people even soak bores overnight in the stuff to remove severe fouling. There's better / faster chemicals out there, but it's cheap and gets the job done.

CLP also works as a lubricant and anti-corrosion coating however; Hoppes 9 can actually cause rust if you don't apply an actual oil later on of some sort.
View Quote

That's good to know. I did coat my GP 100 with Break Free LP after I cleaned it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 4:02:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Hoppes 9 is the best bore cleaner I have found!
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 8:13:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have tried a couple other cleaners. In my unscientific testing Hoppes works as good or better than any other stuff. I used the other stuff because I got it somewhere along the lines as a sample or packaged with something else I bought.

Maybe Hoppes needs to package the stuff in a 2oz bottles and sell it for $20. Then everyone will say how it is better than everything else.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 8:23:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 11:45:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I have tried a couple other cleaners. In my unscientific testing Hoppes works as good or better than any other stuff. I used the other stuff because I got it somewhere along the lines as a sample or packaged with something else I bought.

Maybe Hoppes needs to package the stuff in a 2oz bottles and sell it for $20. Then everyone will say how it is better than everything else.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have a point.

People always seem to be looking for something "new and improved", when there is no need to.

ETA:
I was happy to finally see that my son is becoming  disillusioned with Frog Lube.
After months of trying to get me to switch.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 12:22:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Hoppes will remove the bluing on newer s&w revolvers.  They had to change formulas due to new rules. They have talked about it on the s&w forums. The new no.9 synthetic hoppes is OK to use, or so they say. I have not tried it .
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 12:48:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Been a Hoppes guy forever, works great.  Clean with Hoppes then treat / protect with CLP or Ballistol
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 3:18:35 PM EDT
[#16]
I recommend getting a dropper bottle of some sort. Otherwise be sure to only put in clean patches into the bottle. Use the soaked patches on brass brushes and so forth.

It acts as a mild rust protection so you don't have to stress leaving it in the barrel or anything. I do recommend using a clp of some sort.

It smells nice but I am moving away from toxic stuff. They have a synthetic formula but I never picked up on it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 11:00:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Any harm in using Hoppes #9 on BCGs?
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 4:54:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

No
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 9:14:16 PM EDT
[#19]
I only use Hoppes #9 for cleaning. Have for the last 7 years.  For all guns., Even a nickle plated Beretta. Never had a problem.
They do come in a small spay bottle I bought one time. I have BIG bottles of Hoppes #9 & just fill the little spray bottle for use.
Hoppes will remove the bluing on newer s&w revolvers.
View Quote

Been using it on my 442. Never seen a problem.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 1:12:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Hoppes #9 and CLP have different uses.  I use Hoppes to clean the chamber and bore. Once they are clean I go over them with CLP for rust preventive.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 12:05:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Hoppes #9 and CLP have different uses.  I use Hoppes to clean the chamber and bore. Once they are clean I go over them with CLP for rust preventive.
View Quote

That's what I've been doing.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 4:19:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are much better products on the market then Hoppes #9. Not only do they work better, they are safer and have very little(if any) odor. You have unscientifically tested the wrong products.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 4:34:54 PM EDT
[#23]
I gave a quart bottle of Hoppes 9 and a gallon of Kroil to my neighbor.  

MPRO-7 does anything those items do while being scent free and without any inhalation or absorption hazards.  

Every one is trying to invent the wheel these days.  Hoppes is stone age.

If you want your cylinder face to appear unfired, try some nevr-dull or duraglit wad.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 6:32:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

No
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No

I would avoid using it on NiB BCGs, or anything that is nickel coated.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 9:03:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Nothing wrong with #9, lubes also, thin is good up here in the frozen north.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 9:16:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Fun fact:  The original Hoppe's smell comes from banana oil.

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:03:12 PM EDT
[#27]
I even use Hoppe's #9 for cologne...

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top