Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/2/2016 10:52:59 AM EDT
I began by getting two carbon steel allen wrenches. I sanded them down, and removed the bluing with Birchwood Casey's Rust/Blue remover and a brillo pad. I then de-greased them with MPRO7 cleaner, and then Dawn Dishwashing liquid. I thorougly dried them, and then applied the Weaponshield and LPX to each, washing and drying my hands in between. After liberally coating 100% of each wrench, I wiped each down with a blue shop towel (fresh for each), and then tied a noose around the crook with waxed dental floss, and taped them as you see here, to my shower wall opposite the shower head. This should provide them with temperature and humidity swings, and we can observe them every other day for corrosion. I have also included a control wrench, which was hung dry/untreated with anything. It was prepared with a brillo pad and bluing remover, followed by Acetone. It is on the far right. It got the acetone because I put a fingerprint on it while hanging it.

*Possible flaws:

-Shampoo could get on one or all of the samples.
-I could have errantly caused some form of contamination while placing them.
-My Maine Coon could destroy everything.

If either is the case, I strongly suspect the corrosion pattern will lend suspicion to error.

1/5/16: So, I got impatient on the 5th and splashed them with water that morning while showering.

The control is the only sample that showed corrosion.
1/7/16:
I am starting to see the first signs of a bit of corrosion on the WeaponShield sample.

1/9/16:
All samples have began to show corrosion at this point, with the Weaponshield showing the most, and the LPX showing the least, while the Control is completely pock-marked.

It's Jan 15, 2016, and we can easily see that the LPX and Weapon Shield are out-distancing the control significantly, with the LPX showing slightly better performance than the WS. They have been splashed at least 1x per day since the 5th. I splash them by slapping at the stream of warm water in the shower with my hand. They pretty much get equally hosed.

Jan 20, and I have concluded the test. Results are self explanatory:

Now, I am testing Lucas CLP against Weaponshield. The test began just now, January 21, 2016:

Control is looking rough on day 1... 1/22/16

WS is showing some rust: 1/23/16

Lucas is killin' it! 1/25/16:
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 11:01:57 AM EDT
[#1]
If you really want to do a corrosion test, hang them outside at my house.  I live in the 2nd saltiest place on earth.  Everything metal rusts here!!!
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 11:07:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you really want to do a corrosion test, hang them outside at my house.  I live in the 2nd saltiest place on earth.  Everything metal rusts here!!!
View Quote

Is that an invite?
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 2:41:31 PM EDT
[#3]
In  on this, from my own testing and reading, both seem to be pretty decent, curious which wins out.

Technically, neither might not rust for months or years, if not actually gotten wet, I have a stripped ka-bar coated in ballistol sitting in a root cellar going on 5 months now, last I checked its still as shiny as when I left it there.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 12:12:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
In  on this, from my own testing and reading, both seem to be pretty decent, curious which wins out.

Technically, neither might not rust for months or years, if not actually gotten wet, I have a stripped ka-bar coated in ballistol sitting in a root cellar going on 5 months now, last I checked its still as shiny as when I left it there.
View Quote

Visible condensation forms during each use of the shower.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 5:45:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Got impatient. Splashed them with water.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 10:22:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Noticed the first bit of corrosion on the WS sample, today.
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 11:49:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Updated
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 11:11:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Anything new so far? Not surprised the lucas is doing well,I'm starting to suspect viscosity is the driving factor with water resistance.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 10:31:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Anything new so far? Not surprised the lucas is doing well,I'm starting to suspect viscosity is the driving factor with water resistance.
View Quote

Lucas is one of the thinnest clps I've used.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 7:09:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Is it the lucas red oil, the lucas extreme duty oil, or the extreme duty CLP?
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 4:09:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Is it the lucas red oil, the lucas extreme duty oil, or the extreme duty CLP?
View Quote

Extreme Duty CLP
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 12:03:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Have you been able to use the Lucas Extreme Duty CLP on any firearms or other tests? I am very interested in its performance.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 12:22:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Have you been able to use the Lucas Extreme Duty CLP on any firearms or other tests? I am very interested in its performance.
View Quote

I have not. I recently began playing with slip 2000 ewl. The lucas extreme clp didn't list the add pack and on BITOG it was presumed to be kerosene pretty much. The slip 2000 ewl has done excellent so far on my rifle, though. It does about 90 to 95 percent as well as fireclean, but without the risk of gumming up or polymerizing during long term storage.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 5:21:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I have used Fireclean and Rand CLP and had both of them to get gummy/sticky in just a few months of storage.  They both work great as long as you are using them.  I am looking for something different.  I have been looking at Weapon Shield, Lucas, and the Slip2000 products.  Any suggestions would be great. Thank you in advance.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 8:41:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Glad to see the LPX held up pretty good, it seems to be up there as one of the better lubes based on other various extensive tests I've seen(regarding corrosion resistance). MPro7 LPX and Tetra gun grease is all I've been using. Good work so far with your experiment.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:01:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Glad to see the LPX held up pretty good, it seems to be up there as one of the better lubes based on other various extensive tests I've seen(regarding corrosion resistance). MPro7 LPX and Tetra gun grease is all I've been using. Good work so far with your experiment.
View Quote

LPX is a very good CLP, my issue with it is that it does nothing to mitigate carbon build-up/sticking. Fireclean was amazing at that. SLIP2000 EWL seems to be about 90%-95% as good as FIREClean, which is why I switched to it. from FC.
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 8:43:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Looks to me like the LPX only corroded where water would stand: around the dental floss (as the floss would stay wet longer than bare metal form being splashed) and where it rested against the wall (would also hold water).  I would say that if you didn't allow water to stand, the LPX would not have corroded at all (?).
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top