Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/25/2015 3:08:03 PM EDT
I'm an armorer for an agency that mounts ARs in a vertical vehicle mount.  The weapon comes out of the locked mount for inspection whenever the vehicle changes hands or when the weapon is used on a call.  Otherwise, the guns stay in the locked vertical mounts.  I'm having troubles with the lubricant running down the inside the gun and simply pooling in the bottom of the buffer tube.  We are in a four-season climate with temperatures that dip into -20 F in the winter and up to 100 F in the summer, occasionally.  I hesitated to switch to some sort of grease/paste like Froglube for that reason.  Any suggestions?  Budgetary considerations could be a factor, but I would appreciate any and all ideas.  Thanks much.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 4:05:02 PM EDT
[#1]
NSN: 9150-01-053-6688
or equiv and a pms
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 4:16:09 PM EDT
[#2]
What oil are you using now?
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 5:26:36 PM EDT
[#3]
What lubricant are you using now, plus how long are your firearms in the field between armory checks?

There's bound to be some migration of oil, especially in warm weather, but due to your cold weather requirements it would preclude many of the thicker wax and bio based products out there.

FP-10 or Weaponshield might be your best bet, even if the oil comes off the surface you still have a lubricating film left behind. (Plus, you can simply change over to the new product, no need to completely degrease the firearms first)
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 5:48:35 PM EDT
[#4]
There is a lubricant that would seem to perfectly match your application.

TW25b

It's one of four winners from a (now dated) RCMP test of firearms lubricants in arctic temperatures. It's a light grease that doesn't generally flow. It doesn't dry out. And it works great. It performs well in hot temperatures also so should be no issues in hot summertime conditions.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 6:24:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Slip 2000 EWL30 doesn't freeze until -110 F and shouldn't run down the side.  If you go with Slip 2000, make sure it's EWL30 and not just EWL.  Standard EWL will run everywhere.  You don't need to chemically strip the weapon first.

Also, FrogLube will freeze if there is any excess lube left on the surface.

Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:26:49 PM EDT
[#6]
We are currently using Militec.  We have had, aside from this issue, absolutely positive results, especially with our guns that see a lot of rounds put through them.  However, I have been watching the discussion of Militec on this forum and was already looking for something else when this issue came up.  The chlorine in Militec really got my attention.  I have had the Slip2000 suggested to me by another professional in the area.  

I am currently trying to establish a regular inspection policy, but I usually get a look at each of the rifles at least once every 6-8 weeks as it is right now.  CLP has been suggested to me as well, but only in combination with a monthly inspection.  I don't care for CLP, but it makes sense when buying in bulk and having a regular inspection policy.  I personally re-zero the guns once a year as well.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 10:20:33 PM EDT
[#7]
When you say "CLP," do you mean "Break-Free CLP" or all formulas that clean, lubricate and protect/preserve?
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 10:51:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Slip 2000 EWL30 doesn't freeze until -110 F and shouldn't run down the side.  If you go with Slip 2000, make sure it's EWL30 and not just EWL.  Standard EWL will run everywhere.  You don't need to chemically strip the weapon first.

View Quote

This would be my suggestion too.  Only issue you might have with it would be cost.  That's my issue with it.  Love the stuff but it's pricey.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 10:47:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Second vote for slip 2000 ewl 30 .

I live in Maine so same temps .Fwiw last year I took my ar on a sled run temps were down to -20 not counting wind chill .

After riding around for 10 hours my gun was covered in ice . When I stoped to shoot I knocked of the ice.and snow racked the slide and let fly no problem .

All the slip products are great try some !!!
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 4:36:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Tetra lube is thicker than most and won't run off, even after several months. They also make a grease that would work well.
SLIP 2000 comes in thicker versions the 30, and even a 50. As well as their grease.
TW25-B used to just come in a grease, but they also have a thick oil.

Any of those would work for your needs, and are vastly superior to Militec-1.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 4:44:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm an armorer for an agency that mounts ARs in a vertical vehicle mount.  The weapon comes out of the locked mount for inspection whenever the vehicle changes hands or when the weapon is used on a call.  Otherwise, the guns stay in the locked vertical mounts.  I'm having troubles with the lubricant running down the inside the gun and simply pooling in the bottom of the buffer tube.  We are in a four-season climate with temperatures that dip into -20 F in the winter and up to 100 F in the summer, occasionally.  I hesitated to switch to some sort of grease/paste like Froglube for that reason.  Any suggestions?  Budgetary considerations could be a factor, but I would appreciate any and all ideas.  Thanks much.
View Quote

We are in identical locations.  Slip EWL works wonderfully.  Although a little will migrate, more than enough stays in place.  I've never had it pooling at the bottom of the buffer tube.  I've heard good things about EWL30, except that it's easy to apply too much (that's an actual "thing" with EWL30, as opposed to typical oils).

Any lubricant worth its name will migrate a bit.  You don't want a paste or a grease.  And any weapon will require periodic inspection, cleaning, and re-lubing.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:10:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

TW25b

It's one of four winners from a (now dated) RCMP test of firearms lubricants in arctic temperatures. It's a light grease that doesn't generally flow. It doesn't dry out. And it works great. It performs well in hot temperatures also so should be no issues in hot summertime conditions.
View Quote

Unfortunately with the price of the lube I doubt a lot of people on this forum would be recommending this since they wouldn't exactly buy it. The Milcomm products are some of the best I ever seen and in the military it is used primarily in heavy weapons and aircraft weapons.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:43:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Got a few bottles of CLP from when I was in the Army, one has the NSN on it, i'll check and post it if it's any different than what someone already posted, but I doubt it. Probably the same stuff. I figure if it worked fine for my M16A2 it will work fine for my 20" AR15.

I will say my BCM upper came with a small bottle of Slip 2000 I think. Seems to work just as well as the stuff I got from Uncle Sam, but then I don't do mag dumps out of my rifle. I shoot maybe 90 rounds or so, go home, clean it the next day and lube, back in the safe until I get another chance to go shoot.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:54:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
We are currently using Militec.  We have had, aside from this issue, absolutely positive results, especially with our guns that see a lot of rounds put through them.  However, I have been watching the discussion of Militec on this forum and was already looking for something else when this issue came up.  The chlorine in Militec really got my attention.  I have had the Slip2000 suggested to me by another professional in the area.  

I am currently trying to establish a regular inspection policy, but I usually get a look at each of the rifles at least once every 6-8 weeks as it is right now.  CLP has been suggested to me as well, but only in combination with a monthly inspection.  I don't care for CLP, but it makes sense when buying in bulk and having a regular inspection policy.  I personally re-zero the guns once a year as well.
View Quote

When I was an armorer for my last department, I purchased CLP.  It does everything well enough that it's a good single product for multi uses.

I've used plenty of Militec and in spite of bad internet rumors and half facts, it works fine.  Currently using SlipEWL and it works fine.

If you have a lot of lube running down into the buffer tubes....the officers are using too much lube.  Not that there's anything wrong with that but that much lube isn't needed.  A light coat on the bolt carrier, a couple drops on the bolt rings, a light coat on the entire bolt, and a light coat on the trigger mechanism is all that's needed.

For a general purpose issue product, CLP is hard to beat.  That's what I would pick as a general issue product.  I don't use CLP on my weapons because I use specific cleaners and lubes but for a one size fits all product, CLP is hard to beat.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 5:26:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Unfortunately with the price of the lube I doubt a lot of people on this forum would be recommending this since they wouldn't exactly buy it. The Milcomm products are some of the best I ever seen and in the military it is used primarily in heavy weapons and aircraft weapons.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TW25b

It doesn't take much, and it will sit there indefinitely through any climatic condition and work when needed. The mil uses it on aircraft weapons for the same reason I'm recommending it for this application - stays where it is needed and works in extreme temperatures (especially cold).
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 7:58:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Some of the lubes mentioned and grease will be too thick in the colder weather.
Any standard CLP like Breakfree or Slip EWL will be fine. use very little and some will run down to the buffer tube. but the moving parts will still have enough lube.
I think a wipe of the excess by the buffer tube a reapplication would be in order monthly.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:50:53 AM EDT
[#17]
I've had good luck with Slip 2000 EWG. I wanted to try a grease for the same reasons you mentioned about oil running down into the buffer. Worked slick. A couple of years ago I made it through a couple of 500rnd classes without a hiccup. I have not tested it in the extreme cold though. Manufacturer claims it's good to -100°F.

B
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 12:00:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Super Lube Synthetic Grease and Super Lube Synthetic Oil.  Stable from -45 to +450, oil is on the thicker side so it stays put better than many products.  Very tenacious once applied to a surface, won't burn or fly off.  USDA approved for use in food processing machinery.  Widely available.  Cost effective. No odor. Standard Super Lube oil and grease do not contain silicone.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 12:29:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Super Lube Synthetic Grease and Super Lube Synthetic Oil.  Stable from -45 to +450, oil is on the thicker side so it stays put better than many products.  Very tenacious once applied to a surface, won't burn or fly off.  USDA approved for use in food processing machinery.  Widely available.  Cost effective. No odor. Standard Super Lube oil and grease do not contain silicone.
View Quote

I use superlube a lot, particularly on handguns, but it does seem to get pretty sluggish at zero degrees F and below. I use something else on ARs in the winter.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 3:21:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Fireclean is the only lube I've found that doesn't run all over, but it likely doesn't fit your budget equation if you're going to try to slip it past bean counters.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 7:38:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Honestly, I think the benefit of having super high tech wonder lubes is that you don't have to constantly reapply. You can oil, wipe it down with a dry rag, and still have better protection than if it was dripping rem oil. Unless you grease it, anything will drip given heat and enough time, better off using something that not even a light coat of will burn off.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 12:47:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Although not as ideal as an oil that remains fluid, have you tried Eezox? It goes on wet, and dries to a film. It has superior rust resistance to CLP, and has shown to work GREAT for lube and cleaner (although not as well as CLP for cleaning). I've had great success with it, but I don't do any high round counts between cleanings, so I don't know how long it is good for under fire. May want to check it out though.
ETA: for my AR's that run Mobile 1, after I apply it, I store those rifles barrel down for a few days, than can flip them barrel up and have much less migration of the oil rearward (where it serves no purpose) for weeks.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 3:16:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Although not as ideal as an oil that remains fluid, have you tried Eezox? It goes on wet, and dries to a film. It has superior rust resistance to CLP, and has shown to work GREAT for lube and cleaner (although not as well as CLP for cleaning). I've had great success with it, but I don't do any high round counts between cleanings, so I don't know how long it is good for under fire. May want to check it out though.
ETA: for my AR's that run Mobile 1, after I apply it, I store those rifles barrel down for a few days, than can flip them barrel up and have much less migration of the oil rearward (where it serves no purpose) for weeks.
View Quote

EEzox is another lube that passed the RCMP arctic temperature test.

EEzox has a toxic solvent however and they probably don't want to deal with that in a workplace environment. The solvent does evaporate though so it's only a problem during application and "curing" time.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 1:26:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Guys,

Thanks much for all the responses.  Apologies for not re-posting sooner.  Looks like its down to Slip2000 and Break Free CLP.  We can get both in bulk for cheap.  Money drives everything  And a new inspection policy looks like a go.  Waiting on the new year for a supervisor change and some SOP improvement.  Stay Safe.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 2:11:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

This would be my suggestion too.  Only issue you might have with it would be cost.  That's my issue with it.  Love the stuff but it's pricey.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 on this as well
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 4:12:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Guys,

Thanks much for all the responses.  Apologies for not re-posting sooner.  Looks like its down to Slip2000 and Break Free CLP.  We can get both in bulk for cheap.  Money drives everything  And a new inspection policy looks like a go.  Waiting on the new year for a supervisor change and some SOP improvement.  Stay Safe.
View Quote

Neither of those will have any significant improvement to your situation.

If cheap and bulk are your primary motivations there are probably other options to explore.
This product was recommended in another thread:
https://www.lubriplate.com/Products/Food-Grade-Lubricants/SFL-Series-Food-Grade-Grease.html
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/379954/lubriplate-sfl-0-gun-grease-14-oz-can
The 0 weight is probably what you are looking for.

$13 would get you a 14 ounce can which would probably last you a year. Give it a try in a couple months in the cold.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 5:19:06 PM EDT
[#27]

My go-to lube, for just about everything.

Stuff is amazing.

Link Posted: 12/8/2015 8:43:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Neither of those will have any significant improvement to your situation.
View Quote

A decent inspection SOP, properly followed, will absolutely improve the problem...if we define the problem as dumping a bucket of lube on the bolt carrier to compensate for only inspecting the gun very infrequently.  Inspected on a regular basis, you can lube appropriately without having to resort to uncommon lubes or even grease.  CLP, though not my preference, works fine when accompanied with a routine maintenance schedule. And I'm certain slip EWL does, as that's exactly what I use in identical circumstances.

Stay away from the grease recommendations.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 3:16:11 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm using EWL30 on my BCG, but I'm wondering why grease is a bad idea?  What I've heard is, "Use oil on things that rotate, and use grease on things that slide."
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 2:33:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'm using EWL30 on my BCG, but I'm wondering why grease is a bad idea?  What I've heard is, "Use oil on things that rotate, and use grease on things that slide."
View Quote

Some others swear by it, but my experience with synthetic grease is not good. I tried it on a NiB bolt carrier and after only about 100 rounds, 3 days later to clean it, it was gummed up and VERY sticky (to the point it would not lock unless fully pulled back and let fly). I've NEVER had an issue with synthetic oil, so that's my go to.
YMMV.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 6:59:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
What I've heard is, "Use oil on things that rotate, and use grease on things that slide."
View Quote

Which ar-15 manufacturer says that?    As a law enforcement agency that will be sued following any shooting, and have your agency's rifle maintenance logs scrutinized (along with training, policies, qualifications, weapon modifications, etc.), you'll want to follow manufacturer/industry standards.  Especially since grease is a solution to a non-existent problem, if the rifle is being properly inspected and maintained.
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 9:38:58 AM EDT
[#32]
I am in the same situation as you and we just use CLP.  Never been an issue in 15 years.  I also like to keep things as simple as possible.
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 1:28:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Some others swear by it, but my experience with synthetic grease is not good. I tried it on a NiB bolt carrier and after only about 100 rounds, 3 days later to clean it, it was gummed up and VERY sticky (to the point it would not lock unless fully pulled back and let fly). I've NEVER had an issue with synthetic oil, so that's my go to.
YMMV.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

YMMV.

That's been a problem with the NiB carriers even with oil. One of the company reps stated he had problems with his if he let it sit after shooting.
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 2:45:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

That's been a problem with the NiB carriers even with oil. One of the company reps stated he had problems with his if he let it sit after shooting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

YMMV.

Thank you for that info! Since that issue, I only run nitride BCG's now (and have not had that issue again) with mobile 1 synthetic oil (10w30).
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 2:51:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Second vote for slip 2000 ewl 30 .

I live in Maine so same temps .Fwiw last year I took my ar on a sled run temps were down to -20 not counting wind chill .

After riding around for 10 hours my gun was covered in ice . When I stoped to shoot I knocked of the ice.and snow racked the slide and let fly no problem .

All the slip products are great try some !!!
View Quote

Third vote.

Link Posted: 12/13/2015 3:01:48 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

TW25b

View Quote

This is the answer you seek.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 12:38:16 PM EDT
[#37]
There are two solid answers emerging:  TW25B and EWL30.

Go half-and-half and see which one you like best.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top