Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/13/2015 6:04:36 PM EDT
Do you guys have any recommendations for any bore cleaners that, in your opinion, seem to work particularly well compared to others?  I'm not a big fan of Hoppes #9.  I've been using just regular CLP, M-Pro 7 cleaner, or Slip 750 cleaner and those have worked ok but I was just curious if there was a better product.  I've never used any foaming bore cleaners and have no knowledge or experience with them.  I clean indoors so I'd prefer the solution to be odor free and as safe as possible instead of caustic chemicals.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 6:39:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Highly recommend BoreTech Eliminator. It's the best bore cleaner you can buy.

Also, don't use a brass anything with it as it'll produce false positive. Instead use a nylon brush.
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 3:18:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I know a lot of guys like the foaming bore cleaner. Breakfree makes a good one

I use a mixture of Shooters Choice bore cleaner and Kroil.

I mix it equal parts of both. I also use the Royco brand CLP for quick clean ups. I'm pretty sure contains more solvent than the other brands of CLP. Lots of good choices these days
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 4:09:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Butches bore shine.  

All I use.  

Unless I am cleaning up a heavily used / ignored / unknown barrel, then sweets and JB bore paste.
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 7:11:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Butches bore shine.  

All I use.  

Unless I am cleaning up a heavily used / ignored / unknown barrel, then sweets and JB bore paste.
View Quote

This man has it right.  
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 11:24:23 AM EDT
[#5]
How is Hoppies bore cleaner ??
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 4:29:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
How is Hoppies bore cleaner ??
View Quote

It's ok.  Plenty mild.  Any bore cleaner you use, you should find out if there is ammonia, or assume there is.  Always make sure you run plenty of dry patches, and if storing, run a wet patch with just oil, then a few more dry patches to make sure you aren't leaving any ammonia trace in the bore.  You never leave a wet bore unless you are preserving for long term storage, even then it is questionable.
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 6:15:19 PM EDT
[#7]
For chrome lined barrels, honestly about anything, for what its worth, I use weapon shield solvent, and all I need to do is run a soaked tight patch through the  barrel. For non lined barrels, gunslick ultrakleinz works surprisingly well, but you could use almost anything if you are patient. For nasty mil surps, you want something toxic like sweets or bore shine though.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 9:54:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
For chrome lined barrels, honestly about anything, for what its worth, I use weapon shield solvent, and all I need to do is run a soaked tight patch through the  barrel. For non lined barrels, gunslick ultrakleinz works surprisingly well, but you could use almost anything if you are patient. For nasty mil surps, you want something toxic like sweets or bore shine though.
View Quote

Butches bore shine is not "toxic".  It contains a mild amount of ammonia which helps chemically remove copper fouling.  Sweets is very different and not in the same class, as sweets contains a large percentage of ammonia and works primarily at the chemical level to remove copper fouling.  Sweets can actually harm a barrel if you don't follow instructions.  Butches bore shine is far, far milder.  

If you are just removing powder fouling, it matters little what you use.  If you are removing copper fouling, it is good to use a mild chemical remover, so you aren't scrubbing it mechanically as much and risking damage to the bore.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 9:57:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Hoppe's old number 9 has served me well.

Link Posted: 11/16/2015 12:31:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Wipe Out, barrel soaking as I type. For the heavy stuff or neglected it can be left overnight. I really like the stuff.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 4:46:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I have used shooters choice for many years.
I also have some Sweets around that I have not needed to break the seal on yet.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 9:10:14 AM EDT
[#12]
http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Shot-8-Ounce-Copper-Solvent-IV/dp/B001F0M2WS

This stuff is great.  No ammonia and gets copper and powder fouling.

If you shoot with a QPQ/Melonite/Nitrided barrel - they tend to pull copper off the jacketks and get a lot of copper fouling until they wear in (which takes time since QPQ is so hard).  This stuff gets it out in a few minutes and at the same time, is not aggressive enough to harm the gun like Sweets 7.62 and ammonia based cleaners.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 9:32:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Highly recommend BoreTech Eliminator. It's the best bore cleaner you can buy.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/18/2015 7:37:58 PM EDT
[#14]
MIL-PRF-63460

MIL-PRF-372
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top