Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/11/2015 12:18:51 AM EDT
I just realized something.  The only reason I use Q-tips to clean my AR-15 is because the Marine Corps told me to.

Is there a more efficient way to do this?
P.S.  Happy birthday to all the fellow Marines out there.  Semper Fidelis.

Link Posted: 11/11/2015 2:17:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I just realized something.  The only reason I use Q-tips to clean my AR-15 is because the Marine Corps told me to.

View Quote

These are great.  Cotton Q-tips of every size on long bamboo handles.  I use them for all things AR cleaning.  325 for about 8 bucks.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Innovative-Products-Of-America-9010-325-Piece-Swab-eez-Industrial-Strength-Swabs-/391314357607?hash=item5b1c273d67:g:BKYAAOxy3zNSocw5
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 2:49:49 AM EDT
[#2]
pipe cleaners
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 3:04:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Why?

And, the Marien Corps never told you to. Idiots in the Marine Corps told you to.

I challenge you to find one official Marien Corps publication that says you need to clean a rifle with cotton swabs.

Learn where the carbon builds up, remove it.

Identify mud and outside nastiness, clean it.

Lube it.

One of the bigger challenges in making weapons military proof is making them durable enough to handle military "maintenance."

One of the endless challenges of those in the weapons fielding and sustainment biz is fighting the persistent cultural derp that comes up with things like cleaning weapons with cotton swabs - because its a symptom of a larger problem that often leads to flat-out damage.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 12:17:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I find that hard to believe Q-tips will damage an AR-15.  Especially seeing as how my armory issued them out for that very purpose.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 4:19:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 8:02:04 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
^

I use these and regular cotton swabs all the time on my firearms.

Link Posted: 11/11/2015 8:16:06 PM EDT
[#7]

This for the chamber
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 8:22:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Johnson & Johnson swabs are way better than Q-tip.

J&J has much firmer cotton, and the stem is PLASTIC, whereas Q-tip is paper.

You can bend the J&J plastic stem to a 90-degree angle to get into the barrel extension, where all the crud likes to hide.
Try bending a Q-tip like that, and the stem will snap.
I get the J&J's at CVS.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 8:30:25 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Johnson & Johnson swabs are way better than Q-tip.

J&J has much firmer cotton, and the stem is PLASTIC, whereas Q-tip is paper.

You can bend the J&J plastic stem to a 90-degree angle to get into the barrel extension, where all the crud likes to hide.

Try bending a Q-tip like that, and the stem will snap.

I get the J&J's at CVS.
View Quote

Now THAT is what I'm looking for!

Link Posted: 11/11/2015 8:30:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

I do the same thing and never served, it just makes good sense.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 10:34:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Hmmm, all I ever see at the local stores are Q-Tips.  No CVS closeby.  I do bend my q-tips without issues.  90 degrees and a little bit beyond.  

Searching RiteAid's site, I see they have some plastic version.  Since it's the store brand, not sure how good quality the cotton is.....
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 12:10:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

yes.  Spray it out with non chlorinated brake cleaner every few hundred, thousands rounds or so.  Relube.  Punch barrel when accuracy drops off.  

Happy birthday to you as well, Marine.
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 6:40:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I use a little dental pic sometimes moving a patch along the surface.

However gunscrubber seems to be the best item to use. Just blast everything out. Be sure to wear eye goggles.
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 8:57:56 PM EDT
[#14]
I cut the tips off short and use forceps to hold them two or three together to clean the locking lug area by the chamber.  Speeds things up a bit.  
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 10:18:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
pipe cleaners
View Quote

I like pipe cleaners too.  But I do use Q-Tips.
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 12:09:35 PM EDT
[#16]
IMO, Q-tips (regardless of brand) are outdated and a waste. While fairly cheap, and they do work, I prefer Swab-Its. Just like a q-tip, but instead of cotton it is a semi-firm foam head that you can wash and reuse. I got a pack at Midway USA that had a couple different sizes, and they make the same thing for the bore too if you're interested. I haven't noticed any degradation from using CLP (I use the break-free stuff from Safariland). I've only had them for about a year, so take it for what you want.
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 12:50:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
IMO, Q-tips (regardless of brand) are outdated and a waste. While fairly cheap, and they do work, I prefer Swab-Its. Just like a q-tip, but instead of cotton it is a semi-firm foam head that you can wash and reuse. I got a pack at Midway USA that had a couple different sizes, and they make the same thing for the bore too if you're interested. I haven't noticed any degradation from using CLP (I use the break-free stuff from Safariland). I've only had them for about a year, so take it for what you want.
View Quote

Non chlorinated brake cleaner.
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 1:45:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I cut the tips off short and use forceps to hold them two or three together to clean the locking lug area by the chamber.  Speeds things up a bit.  
View Quote

same for me
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 10:27:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 12:47:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Used them for over 20 years in both civilian and military weapons. Reading this I must have been real lucky not to fuck something up or break my weapon using q tips.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 2:30:34 PM EDT
[#21]
"because its a symptom of a larger problem that often leads to flat-out damage"

Not "it leads directly to flat-out damage."

Reading comprehension, folks.

Q-tip cleaning is related to other, more damaging "tips" that get passed on from Joe to Joe, and for which there is good reason they aren't in any manuals.

Worst I've ever seen with Q-tips is getting a cotton swap stuck in the gas key - a simple fix if noticed and not left unaddressed.

Link Posted: 11/22/2015 4:07:03 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

That's a little harsh.

I've yet to see Q-tips damage a weapon.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why?

And, the Marien Corps never told you to. Idiots in the Marine Corps told you to.

One of the endless challenges of those in the weapons fielding and sustainment biz is fighting the persistent cultural derp that comes up with things like cleaning weapons with cotton swabs - because its a symptom of a larger problem that often leads to flat-out damage.

That's a little harsh.

And I'm still trying to figure out why our armory gave them to us.

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:05:03 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View Quote

I just placed an order for Bore Tips and Swab Its from Midway.  I guess I'll find out if Slip 2000 Carbon Killer degrades them.

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 5:54:18 AM EDT
[#24]
http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/patches-mops/cleaning-swabs/cotton-tipped-applicators-prod13150.aspx

I buy these from Brownells. The head is a bit fatter than other brands and the price is very cost effective for the amount.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 6:54:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why?

That's a little harsh.

Because the Armory wanted the things super duper white glove clean. I've seen armories give out much worse - I've seen all purpose cleaner used on rifles.

But the "Marine Corps" only officially says to do what's in here: http://www.ar15.com/content/webPDF/TM9-1005-319-10.pdf
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:26:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Because the Armory wanted the things super duper white glove clean. I've seen armories give out much worse - I've seen all purpose cleaner used on rifles.

But the "Marine Corps" only officially says to do what's in here: http://www.ar15.com/content/webPDF/TM9-1005-319-10.pdf
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why?

That's a little harsh.

TM 9-1005-319-10, dated June 2010, Work Package (WP) 0014, "Cleaning Instructions", page 00-2:

You do also realize that the TM 9-1005-319-10 also lists CLOTH, ABRASIVE, (50 sheets), (81348), P-C-458, NSN 5350-00-221-0872, as one of the expendable service items.  And, you serious think that a cotton swab will hurt the rifle?
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:55:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

TM 9-1005-319-10, dated June 2010, Work Package (WP) 0014, "Cleaning Instructions", page 00-2:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y9/lysanderxiii/Untitled_zpssdgbdmw7.png

You do also realize that the TM 9-1005-319-10 also lists CLOTH, ABRASIVE, (50 sheets), (81348), P-C-458, NSN 5350-00-221-0872, as one of the expendable service items.  And, you serious think that a cotton swab will hurt the rifle?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why?

That's a little harsh.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y9/lysanderxiii/Untitled_zpssdgbdmw7.png

I have never once said a cotton swab will hurt a rifle.

That's absurd.

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 1:51:35 PM EDT
[#28]
It is times like these when I question my decision to get out of bed in the morning.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 5:52:20 PM EDT
[#29]
I got the Swab-Its in the mail.  First thing I did was take the Glock 43 apart and use them to clean up all excess EWL.  They're really good at getting into the hard-to-reach areas.  I was able to use the pointed tip to clean inside the slide rail and then I used the second pointed tip to precisely apply EWG inside the rail.  So they allow for precise cleaning and application of grease.

Very happy so far, and very good advise to get them.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 11:52:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Free time.  Too much of it.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top