Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/6/2015 2:02:01 AM EDT
I wonder how to protect my brass type bore brushes from copper bore cleaners, as well as bore snakes.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 2:30:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Define damage? Wear and tear? Bore brushes are expendable wear items, like tires on a car. Buy new cleaning stuff as needed.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 8:09:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Pretty certain you can't as the chemicals will attack it.

Use nylon brushes with the copper remover, and then use your bronze/brass brushes for any cleaning without the copper solvent.  90-95% of the time I clean with just Hoppes #9 and then use a copper remover occasionally.  If you always use copper remover, you should convert to nylon brushes.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 8:38:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Brushes are disposable.

I know that isn't the kind of answer you're looking for but you can buy brushes in 10 packs for cheap enough.

And they last a reasonable amount of time even with solvents.

Brushes are cheap and guns are expensive.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 8:57:29 AM EDT
[#4]
You cannot have it both ways.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 9:16:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes they are disposable, but because I clean guns near the laundry tub it's easy to hit them with hot water, then compressed air. Gets a little more life out of them.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 10:03:27 AM EDT
[#6]
A squirt with NCBC will remover the copper solvent.

Best way is what says on the bottle to use in your bore, just apply it to your brush.

eta

Don't use a bore snake to apply a copper remover. A simple patch with a plastic loop will work.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 11:28:01 AM EDT
[#7]
yep, don't use the bore snake with it, unless you're ready to toss it in the washing machine right off.

+1 to all that was said
- bore brushes are expendable items
- use nylon for solvent application and let the solvent do the work, not the brush
- if you do use your bronze brush you can give it some relief by hitting it with some kind of solvent; water, brake cleaner, or even a jar of kero to dip rinse it.

I do hear what you're saying though, copper solvents do eat up brushes fast.  I buy the heavy duty ones from brownells in bulk packs

ETA- I often use wipeout on my rifles,  spray in bore, let it foam out, let sit the time and patch it out.  No brush needed.  It is very good stuff and bore safe.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 3:19:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Use nylon brushes...
View Quote

...and aluminum jags.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 4:16:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes , disposable but they last longer if you rinse them .

We all do it but buying brushes one at a time at the local gun store is sort of like buying laundry detergent in a single load box .

Brownells has 10 packs of several different grade brushes for a reasonable price.

They also have stainless brushes and nylon brushes
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 8:31:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Use nylon brushes when using solvents.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 8:53:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
A squirt with NCBC will remover the copper solvent.
View Quote

This.

B
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 11:49:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I wonder how to protect my brass type bore brushes from copper bore cleaners, as well as bore snakes.
View Quote

Use nylon brushes?
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 11:59:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Swab your bore with hoppes.  Then shoot it full of wipe out foaming bite cleaner.  Let it sit for a while, then patch/swab it out.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 12:41:40 PM EDT
[#14]
i spray them off with WD-40 after scrubbing with bore solvent

then blast them clean with the air compressor

Link Posted: 11/7/2015 7:53:30 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't use brushes but use Jags that are coated with a copper remover resistant coating.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 10:52:12 PM EDT
[#16]
After use, I was out my bronze brushes with denatured alcohol.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 4:28:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

...and aluminum jags.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Use nylon brushes...

...and aluminum jags.

You can also use nickle-plated jags (Midway sell them in sets.)
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 4:33:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Rinse them in water when you're done cleaning to remove th copper solvent. It won't stop it, but will extend the life of your brushes a little.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 10:52:00 AM EDT
[#19]
I shoot several calibers.  When a brush for a larger caliber is eaten away by the cleaning chemicals (mostly those with ammonia to eat the copper), I simply start using it on a smaller caliber.  Saves a few sheckles.

I also use electrical component cleaner in a spray can (from Walmart auto section) to wash off my guns after cleaning and the brushes and cleaning tampons (or whatever those things are called).  Brake cleaning fluid works well for washing off the oil and grease as well.  Air dry then lube.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 11:20:38 AM EDT
[#20]
I clean the bore with CLP only.

You do NOT need to use aggressive chemical agents in the bore of 99.999% of firearms.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 9:52:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Most bore solvents contain ammonia, to remove copper fouling, which also attacks your bore brush.
Good old rubbing alcohol neutralizes ammonia. Non Chlorinated brake parts cleaner also works great
for cleaning your brushes of bore solvent. Just make sure it's NON chlorinated, because chloride + ammonia =
ammonium chloride, which can corrode barrel steel. I realize that bore brushes are a disposable item,
but you can use them several times if you clean them after using them.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 9:08:30 PM EDT
[#22]
I see a lot of people suggesting you should just use a brush not made of copper.  I'd suggest you don't use a copper solvent.  It's unnecessary.  Once the copper in the bore reaches a certain level (only a few rounds, really), a bullet will strip some of the old copper, depositing an equal amount of new copper.  Spending your time removing that copper is like pissing in the wind.

If you insist on using a copper solvent, don't do it often. Over cleaning will wear your bore out more quickly than occasional cleaning, and copper solvents attack the barrel steel as readily as the copper fouling.  They don't discriminate.

Keep in mind my advice may be seen as controversial, so  take it as my Opinion.    

Link Posted: 2/1/2016 9:26:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 11:01:39 PM EDT
[#24]
A lot of copper solvents are water based, run the brushes under the tap after you finish, and at least they won't continue to be eaten in storage. I would highly recommend using a non copper solvent particularly for your boresnakes though, I put them in plastic ziplocks, spray some weapon shield solvent, which CLP would also work. and that way they are stored ready to go with no mess.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 2:05:52 PM EDT
[#25]
I spray mine off with brake cleaner after each use and have never had an issue with the solvents attacking them.
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 6:29:21 PM EDT
[#26]
You can't stop it, but you can slow it down.

First, brush them with lube before storage.  I use an issued green nylon toothbrush, but any stiff-bristle brush will do.

Second, store them individually.  Preferably in their original packaging.

Quoted:
I spray mine off with brake cleaner after each use and have never had an issue with the solvents attacking them.
View Quote

I'm trying this.  I hadn't thought of it before, but it should be fine.  Newer non-chlorinated stuff should be fine, quick-drying, shit... I hadn't thought of it before because I keep brake-cleaner so far away from  my weapons, for obvious reasons.
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 6:36:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

...and aluminum jags.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Use nylon brushes...

...and aluminum jags.

Yep, that's what I use when using aggressive copper solvents.

Gun Kleen is one of many who makes em, A177N is the PN.
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 6:59:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 6:47:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've been doing this for years and it works very well.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 12:57:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Soap and water also works fine.
View Quote

Same here.  Brushes are cheap.  Give them a rinse to cut down solvents attacking them, but if they do wear out, just replace them.
If it bugs you that much, use nylon ones.  I use those for aggressive solvents.

There's really no need to over-think this.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top