Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/5/2015 1:49:04 AM EDT

I'm currently a die-hard EWL user.  But I'm noticing that there's this other kid on the block called Weapon Shield.  Now according to their YouTube channel, this stuff excels incredibly well at wear prevention, but that's just one part of the story.  I can't find any information on these other areas that EWL excels at:

1. Low temperature operation.

2. Not evaporating under fire.

3. Corrosion prevention.

4. Ability to dissolve carbon residue.

Can anyone who regularly uses Weapon Shield comment on these other areas?
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 9:42:25 AM EDT
[#1]
I've used both.  Prefer Slip2k.  Neither is a miracle worker.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 9:45:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm currently a die-hard EWL user.  But I'm noticing that there's this other kid on the block called Weapon Shield.  Now according to their YouTube channel, this stuff excels incredibly well at wear prevention, but that's just one part of the story.  I can't find any information on these other areas that EWL excels at:

2. Not evaporating under fire.
3. Corrosion prevention.
4. Ability to dissolve carbon residue.

Can anyone who regularly uses Weapon Shield comment on these other areas?
View Quote

I don't know if you've heard of it...but there's another GREAT one called fireclean...it's supposed to be the ****.  

Link Posted: 11/5/2015 11:48:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Right, that means the big four are FrogLube, EWL, Weapon Shield, and canola oil.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 2:41:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Right, that means the big four are FrogLube, EWL, Weapon Shield, and canola oil.
View Quote

Try the slip 2000 ewl

Granted the regular slip 2000 is great  but try a sample of 2000ewl or better yet try the ewl 30

And your welcome
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 5:09:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Try the slip 2000 ewl

Granted the regular slip 2000 is great  but try a sample of 2000ewl or better yet try the ewl 30
And your welcome
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Try the slip 2000 ewl

And your welcome

I'm...wow...  I'm just going to step back and let you figure this one out.

Link Posted: 11/5/2015 7:19:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try the slip 2000 ewl

And your welcome

Ok sorry I did not read as.Carefully as I should have.

If you're already a slip 2000 EWL User try the EWL 30 weight It's like butter!
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 7:53:29 PM EDT
[#7]

I'm getting a Glock 19 soon, so I'm thinking:

1. Detail strip and treat everything with EWL.

2. Wipe everything down really good.

3. Reassemble the weapon.

4. Use EWL30 on the recommended lube points.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 10:12:52 AM EDT
[#8]
-5 deg f was as cold as I have used it for USPSA matches Cortland NY 1911s
2. Not evaporating under fire
never added more lube during matches rifle or pistol max round count pistol 400 (180 gr lead reloads sti 40 cal) for rifle maybe 360+
3. Corrosion prevention.
better than FP-10 never any signs of rust while I use it
4. Ability to dissolve carbon residue
IMHOP better than BF CLP, G96, and Fp-10, only CLP type cleaners I can recall using

WS is all I use anymore, they do have a cleaner, but with a qt of WS in Stock I don't see me trying it for another decade.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 8:13:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
-5 deg f was as cold as I have used it for USPSA matches Cortland NY 1911s
2. Not evaporating under fire
never added more lube during matches rifle or pistol max round count pistol 400 (180 gr lead reloads sti 40 cal) for rifle maybe 360+
3. Corrosion prevention.
better than FP-10 never any signs of rust while I use it
4. Ability to dissolve carbon residue
IMHOP better than BF CLP, G96, and Fp-10, only CLP type cleaners I can recall using

WS is all I use anymore, they do have a cleaner, but with a qt of WS in Stock I don't see me trying it for another decade.
View Quote

I never tried it that cold, but it performs as Mr. Fennell says, except I find that it is a bit less effective than some other lubricants in the carbon department. It is better with corrosion than FP-10.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 2:28:27 AM EDT
[#10]
If it's anything like EWL, it gets absorbed into the porous surface of the steel.  Once it's in there, carbon simply won't stick.  This started happening to me after a few trips to the range.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 2:49:45 AM EDT
[#11]
The best part about WS is the cost. Can get a quart for like $25 and it works just as well if not better than the FOTM $20 for 2 oz oils.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 3:27:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Not a fan of the Weapon Shield cinnamon smell. It works well but the smell lingers a long time. Slip2000 is odor free and works fine in all of my applications.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 8:26:52 PM EDT
[#13]
I can attest that as long as the metal stays wet, carbon will not stick with weaponshield. Seems to clean better than CLP actually, if given a bit of time.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 3:37:09 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I can attest that as long as the metal stays wet, carbon will not stick with weaponshield. Seems to clean better than CLP actually, if given a bit of time.
View Quote

...WS actually gets better the more you use it.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 5:19:54 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm wondering if WS and EWL don't use different amounts of the same ingredients.  WS seems to be better at wear while EWL seems to do better against corrosion.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 5:55:12 PM EDT
[#16]
I found an old article on that other site we don't mention where someone did a corrosion test on a lot of different gun oils/ cleaners.  The Weapons Shield product did not do very well at all.  This was what I would consider an accelerated corrosion test because the sample pcs were sprayed with salt water.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 6:13:40 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I found an old article on that other site we don't mention where someone did a corrosion test on a lot of different gun oils/ cleaners.  The Weapons Shield product did not do very well at all.  This was what I would consider an accelerated corrosion test because the sample pcs were sprayed with salt water.
View Quote

I think I've seen that.  The EWL block was virtually corrosion-free.

Link Posted: 11/23/2015 3:09:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The best part about WS is the cost. Can get a quart for like $25 .
View Quote
where?
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 5:56:44 PM EDT
[#19]
But in my testing, and in others, weapon shield did much better than slip 2000 ewl which tends to do towards the bottom. There seems to be a large margin of error if you don't look at multiple tests.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 6:10:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 6:42:13 PM EDT
[#21]
There is no way Slip 2000 EWL comes in towards the bottom.  The stuff doesn't freeze until -110 F and it doesn't evaporate until 1,250 F.  The corrosion tests that I've seen consistently place it at the top.

In what way is EWL "near the bottom?"
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 6:49:37 PM EDT
[#22]
[double post removed]

Link Posted: 11/23/2015 7:14:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
But in my testing, and in others, weapon shield did much better than slip 2000 ewl which tends to do towards the bottom. There seems to be a large margin of error if you don't look at multiple tests.
View Quote

The test/ home brewed test I saw had a large sample and seemed to be well controlled.  What kind of testing did you do?  

Link Posted: 11/24/2015 7:55:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
There is no way Slip 2000 EWL comes in towards the bottom.  The stuff doesn't freeze until -110 F and it doesn't evaporate until 1,250 F.  The corrosion tests that I've seen consistently place it at the top.

In what way is EWL "near the bottom?"
View Quote

In corrosion resistance, not as a product in general.

I'm not claiming it actually is either, just saying the tests vary quite a bit.

As for my tests, I sanded several steel plates, degreased with brake cleaner, applied oil and left them out in the rain, but I freely admit it wasn't very controlled.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 1:06:15 PM EDT
[#25]
I found another test comparing 46 different lubricants.  From those results, Slip 2000 and Weapon Shield are both "meh" products while FrogLube is the cat's meow.  Except that Slip 2000 lubes don't burn off that easily while blocking carbon build-up and FrogLube freezes in the cold.  So maybe that test isn't worth so much.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 7:06:09 PM EDT
[#26]
The best test, is the tests that you do yourself while trying out the different lubes with your firearms in different situations that you experience.

To me, this is what puts some of the fun in the shooting sports. Trying out different things to see whether they work for you or not.

I think people here sometimes get a little bit to worked up over lubes.

Purchase it, use it and if it doesn't work, give it away or throw it out and move on to the next or go back to what has been always working for you. It's as simple as that and nothing that anyone should get worked up over.

I have tried all the lubes mentioned in this thread, and for me the slip 2000 ewl30 has been the best option so far. This doesn't mean that it will work as well for others. YMMV.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 8:01:30 PM EDT
[#27]
My experience lies with Break-Free and Slip 2000.  Between them, Slip 2000 is the decisive winner, but I would be an idiot to assume there isn't anything better.  And I'm always looking for better stuff.  It's a mental disorder, I suppose.

Anyway, I guess I'll just stick with Slip since they are performing above and beyond expectations.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 8:10:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
My experience lies with Break-Free and Slip 2000.  Between them, Slip 2000 is the decisive winner, but I would be an idiot to assume there isn't anything better.  And I'm always looking for better stuff.  It's a mental disorder, I suppose.

Anyway, I guess I'll just stick with Slip since they are performing above and beyond expectations.
View Quote

The thing that turned me off from weapon shield a few years ago was when I had a busy winter so my ARs sat in my safe after the last time I shot them and thoroughly cleaned them. After taking them out just for an inspection I noticed the trigger group parts had a light coating of rust on all of them.

I just simply wiped it off but that kind of bothered me so I got rid of the stuff.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 10:43:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The thing that turned me off from weapon shield a few years ago was when I had a busy winter so my ARs sat in my safe after the last time I shot them and thoroughly cleaned them. After taking them out just for an inspection I noticed the trigger group parts had a light coating of rust on all of them.

I just simply wiped it off but that kind of bothered me so I got rid of the stuff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting, if they are aftermarket, I know S7 rusts before your eyes, but still, with oil on it it should not have rusted no matter what.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:54:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Interesting, if they are aftermarket, I know S7 rusts before your eyes, but still, with oil on it it should not have rusted no matter what.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes it was very interesting to say the least.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top