Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/30/2015 9:57:45 AM EDT
I made the plunge into Frog Lube world and picked up some of their clp. When I look at their information, it seems like they are strongly advocating using just their products for clp AND cleaning and that using other cleaning products will interfere with the clp application reaching maximum effectiveness.

I currently am a big fan of break free foaming bore cleaner because I feel that it does a great job of saturating the entire barrel/chamber. I don't feel like they have an equivalent product that does this.

My question is, have any of you guys seen any difference in running exclusively FrogLube clp and cleaning products vs running FrogCLP and OTHER cleaning products? I'm curious if the whole cleaning system makes a difference or if it's just a way to rake in more frog profits.
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 10:15:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I made the plunge into Frog Lube world and picked up some of their clp. When I look at their information, it seems like they are strongly advocating using just their products for clp AND cleaning and that using other cleaning products will interfere with the clp application reaching maximum effectiveness.

I currently am a big fan of break free foaming bore cleaner because I feel that it does a great job of saturating the entire barrel/chamber. I don't feel like they have an equivalent product that does this.

My question is, have any of you guys seen any difference in running exclusively FrogLube clp and cleaning products vs running FrogCLP and OTHER cleaning products? I'm curious if the whole cleaning system makes a difference or if it's just a way to rake in more frog profits.
View Quote

I bought the de-greaser when it first came out. I actually works really really well. It also went rancid in a few weeks/month or so, and smelled like laundry left in the washer wet for a few days. I ultimately threw it out because of this. I did not notice any difference in how the Froglube performed as a CLP/Paste, so long as I removed ALL traces of other products. It did, still have a massive shift in color, as well as a very significant thickening when I applied it thick. When I applied it thin, my weapon rusted inside a day or two. I discontinued it and went back to MPRO 7 LPX at that point in time.
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 10:17:48 AM EDT
[#2]
I threw my froglube away after multiple ARs and a handgun became non-functional due to froglube turning  adhesive like after 4 months of non-use.

The AR could not even be cycled by hand.

YMMV
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 10:25:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
I did not notice any difference in how the Froglube performed as a CLP/Paste, so long as I removed ALL traces of other products.
View Quote

Do you mean that you didn't see a difference between the 2 clp products? Or did you mean that neither of them changed effectiveness when you switched back to the non frog products?
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 10:32:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I threw my froglube away after multiple ARs and a handgun became non-functional due to froglube turning  adhesive like after 4 months of non-use.

YMMV
View Quote

Well Damn. did you follow up with them about it? If so, how did they explain that?!
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 10:35:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Go by some slip 2000 or motor oil

If your lube has instructions, that should tell you all you need to know
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 10:46:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well I mean everything has instructions nowadays....including every other products I've used....breakfree, mpro7, ewl, gunslick....I've heard very positive things about it and this is the first I've heard of any bad stuff. If it does offer an enhancement over the status quo, isn't that worth looking into?
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 8:40:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I used froglube for a year. You cannot use it with anything containing petrol as it will eat it up.

As far as my review I found froglube makes everything slick feeling and for all intent seems to live up. However issues were not apparent at first. I found that froglube doesn't seem to stay on the gun and burns up quicker than clp. Take for example you clean your gun a week before and you go to the range a week later. The bolt feels bone dry and I am able to only shoot like 100 rounds before I notice it short stroke, bolt lock ack failure, etc. Now if I apply fresh coating of froglube like the night before the range it works flawlessly. I think froglube is meant for frequent cleaning. Doesn't seem like it works if it sits even for a short time.

Also when you shoot the minty smells go and it smells horrible. That's a minor issue though compared to above.
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 8:44:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Well I mean everything has instructions nowadays....including every other products I've used....breakfree, mpro7, ewl, gunslick....I've heard very positive things about it and this is the first I've heard of any bad stuff. If it does offer an enhancement over the status quo, isn't that worth looking into?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It molds.

I'm not sure how you feel about that, but I would say that's a negative for me.
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 9:27:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I used froglube for a year. You cannot use it with anything containing petrol as it will eat it up.

As far as my review I found froglube makes everything slick feeling and for all intent seems to live up. However issues were not apparent at first. I found that froglube doesn't seem to stay on the gun and burns up quicker than clp. Take for example you clean your gun a week before and you go to the range a week later. The bolt feels bone dry and I am able to only shoot like 100 rounds before I notice it short stroke, bolt lock ack failure, etc. Now if I apply fresh coating of froglube like the night before the range it works flawlessly. I think froglube is meant for frequent cleaning. Doesn't seem like it works if it sits even for a short time.

Also when you shoot the minty smells go and it smells horrible. That's a minor issue though compared to above.
View Quote

Did you use it the same way as you did the CLP? From my research it seems like it's supposed to appear as it's not there.
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 9:28:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It molds.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It molds.

I heard about an issue with "legacy" formulations that they since changed to add an anti mold agent-has there been mold in newer stuff?

I want so bad for this stuff to be legit but something seems weird about it
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 10:08:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Did you use it the same way as you did the CLP? From my research it seems like it's supposed to appear as it's not there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I used a hairdryer to heat the parts then applied froglube as per instructions. If I do it a night before I shoot it runs flawlessly the next day. Anytime it sits for more than a few days, it doesn't function as well as a fresh application.
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 11:54:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I heard about an issue with "legacy" formulations that they since changed to add an anti mold agent-has there been mold in newer stuff?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It molds.

Can you relube in the middle of things, or do you have to do the voodoo again?
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 5:34:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Well Damn. did you follow up with them about it? If so, how did they explain that?!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

YMMV

No.

I don't care or have time for that. I just stopped using it and went back to mobile 1.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 5:39:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I used a hairdryer to heat the parts then applied froglube as per instructions. If I do it a night before I shoot it runs flawlessly the next day. Anytime it sits for more than a few days, it doesn't function as well as a fresh application.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you wait several months and take a cotton patch to the BCG, the little cotton fibers will stick to it because it like it is adhesive.

Link Posted: 10/31/2015 6:28:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Sounds like it's polymerizing and turning into a wax or varnish.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 1:24:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Well thanks for all the info guys. Sadly I already have some on the way-I probably will try one one or two of my guns...one long term and one more frequently. I will keep it off of my defensive guns however-thanks for the heads up!
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 1:29:46 PM EDT
[#17]
I use it for all my guns, dint have the experience like yours. I just shot a rifle I've had in long term storage, I was really happy with the results
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 7:29:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Well thanks for all the info guys. Sadly I already have some on the way-I probably will try one one or two of my guns...one long term and one more frequently. I will keep it off of my defensive guns however-thanks for the heads up!
View Quote

Yeah I'm guessing maybe you'll have better luck with it. Afterall with so many people buying it, it has to work somehow, right?

Overall good luck with it and do report back on your success or failure. I remember for me I was ecstatic at first with the results but as I said later decided against it after some problems. Hopefully you won't run into those issues.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 7:51:59 PM EDT
[#19]
I would like to know why the difference in performance of froglube.

I wonder if it has to do with a wet or dry climate.

A small sampling seems to point to dry climate people not having problems.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 8:26:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

You own a hair dryer?  And you use it on your guns?

Holy crap. That could be 2 reasons to have your man card revoked!

M
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 8:02:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Last night I stripped my Glock 26 down, used  the degreaser per their instructions and used a hair dryer to apply the frog paste. I can see how this stuff could cause issues like were mentioned earlier. The paste, once dried from the heat will turn into a wax-like consistency-if this made it's way to the firing pin I could see this causing an issue. I will update as I go.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 8:16:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

M
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

M

I wrote a hairdryer, not necessarily mine.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 10:12:50 PM EDT
[#23]
After reading about issues with Froglube, I now just use it on my knife blades, cause cold and non-use, ain't gonna bother them.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 6:51:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Using Frog Lube for about a year now and no issues.  Have had a few times where I haven't cleaned between shooting days that were weeks apart and still no issues in any of my weapons, both rifles and handguns.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 5:39:10 PM EDT
[#25]
I've been using frog lube for over a year in one of my rifles. Followed the instructions and have zero issues. My rifle is cleaned about every 500-700 rounds or so and I shoot about 120-200 through it almost every weekend so it doesn't sit for long. As for basic cleaning I use the wet lube, scrub everything down with a nylon brush or patch then wipe it clean. I lube it with a thin layer of paste. No need to heat it up for every application. Wipe off the excess and my gun goes bang every time. There are a lot of haters of frog lube but I am not one of them. To each his own.

I've just finished another build and will be using frog lube on it as well. If I have any problems I'll report back.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 7:58:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Honest question. What do all these new lubes claim to offer over your run of the mill, PROVEN lubes such as CLP and ordinary petroleum gun oils?. Why the push for Bio-degradable oils? I'll take reliable over environmentally friendly any day. Especially when you absolutely need your firearm to function no matter what. Be a hell of a thing to get shot because of your gun oil didn't work.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 2:48:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

YMMV
View Quote

I noticed my 1911 was pretty sluggish after sitting in the safe for a few months with froglube....   only because of over-application.  You learn pretty quickly, especially if you live in a cold climate not to use too much.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 2:55:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

I use a foaming bore cleaner along with froglube in my rifles.  I foam the barrels as directed by the manufacturer then a patch of the liquid FL CLP, followed by a dry patches until dry.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 12:32:31 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Honest question. What do all these new lubes claim to offer over your run of the mill, PROVEN lubes such as CLP and ordinary petroleum gun oils?. Why the push for Bio-degradable oils? I'll take reliable over environmentally friendly any day. Especially when you absolutely need your firearm to function no matter what. Be a hell of a thing to get shot because of your gun oil didn't work.
View Quote

Slip 2000 EWL does a really good job of getting into all the moving parts.  Once there, it bonds with the surface and prevents carbon from sticking to the insides.  It also stays wet and doesn't evaporate very easily.

You should try it sometime.  Go buy a little bottle of EWL and use it just like CLP.  Once you've cleaned your gun with it, go out and shoot it again.  Then clean it again.  Then shoot it again.

You'll notice each time that the gun gets easier and easier to clean.  By the third cycle, you should simply be able to wipe the carbon off the bolt with a rag.  But you'll need to wipe it down with EWL again once you do that.

Link Posted: 11/25/2015 10:28:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I noticed my 1911 was pretty sluggish after sitting in the safe for a few months with froglube....   only because of over-application.  You learn pretty quickly, especially if you live in a cold climate not to use too much.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

YMMV

I will stick with a lube that I don't have to be concerned with putting too much on.

My firearms are tools meant for reliable use. So I will use a reliable lube too.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 1:27:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

that's insane if you ask me, a hairdryer before application?  Go buy Mobil 1 and you are set for life
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top