Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/24/2015 12:30:08 PM EDT
They got some wild claims here on their website. They say the product been rejected by DoD since it failed 9 of 11 tests. Yet they claim the product is sworn by many people. The one claim that they made was that multiple battles were won in Iraq thanks to Militec-1's product.

Is this true at all?

It looks like you have to "heat" your product for it to work. I already been tricked by Froglube which seems to burn off after a small number of rounds fired. Can militec actually hold up to their claim?

Edit: For those interested, here's a interesting article on Militec-1. Apparently there was enough controversies for the Army to re-review Militec-1 and concluded that it was just as bad as they first thought. http://www.gao.gov/products/GAO-09-735R
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 2:10:01 AM EDT
[#1]
If you read the directions it says that the heat and pressure from firing are enough, and that if you can't go to the range soon you can use a heatgun or oven or sun or whatever instead. It's fanbois of course claim that unless you heat it (which remember is the alternate) you didn't apply it correctly.

The first time it was rejected was when it was submitted to the Marines as an engine oil additive. And it's the "same stuff in the bottle," according the the "technician" I spoke to when I called and asked if the oil additive and the gun lube were the same. The Marines rejected it because they sent out a spec that called for no chlorine. Testing showed that Militec-1 did have chlorine.

That explains two other things.
The only test that Militec shows their product doing well is the spinning rod test. It's a great test of extreme pressure additives and not much else. Chlorine is a great extreme pressure additive. Unfortunately it has some pretty big negatives. Household bleach would do well on this test.

It also seems to have an issue with extremely poor rust prevention properties and in some tests seemed to cause more rust than even bare steel. Chlorine is corrosive...

Militec claims to prevent fouling. I've tested it and it doesn't work so well for that. They claim that you don't need any other solvent or CLP type cleaner for cleaning. Yeah, no. Not so much.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 3:18:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Go buy something else
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 3:23:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Snake oil.  Their website list one MSDS for Militec-1.  The same product is sold as firearm lubricant and as an additive for engine oils, radiator coolants, differentials, transfer cases, power steering pumps, and wheel bearings. They even recommend you add it to the refrigerant in air conditioners.

Information on the Test and Evaluation and Assignment and Cancellation of National Stock Numbers as It Relates to MILITEC-1
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 8:14:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Save your cash.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 8:34:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Is it better than Crisco?
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 1:11:59 PM EDT
[#6]
lol
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 5:12:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Had a small bottle of it on my self for a couple of years, you should have seen the shit floating around in it and I should have taken a picture before I tossed it.  I swear it made some of guns rust.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 11:20:41 AM EDT
[#8]
It also has chlorine in it. Chlorine and steel that is subjected to 59,000PSI is not a good mix.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 7:44:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Snake oil.  Their website list one MSDS for Militec-1.  The same product is sold as firearm lubricant and as an additive for engine oils, radiator coolants, differentials, transfer cases, power steering pumps, and wheel bearings. They even recommend you add it to the refrigerant in air conditioners.

Information on the Test and Evaluation and Assignment and Cancellation of National Stock Numbers as It Relates to MILITEC-1
View Quote

Yeah I read the article as well. The thing that bothers me the most is that Militec-1 claims that soldiers are dying because of CLP and that the entire battle of Fallujah was won thanks in part to Militec-1. They make a bold claim yet can't explain exactly what it is that they improve. According to the military article, Militec-1 can't even tell the government WHY their product is good (and they can't even explain why it is failing military tests) other than hearing reports from soldiers that their product "worked" but can't show proof that CLP is causing any problems. They even found that Militec-1 claim that CLP was bad was due to the fact that soldiers aren't cleaning their weapons daily which has to be done regardless of using MIlitec-1 or CLP.

Overall I'm sadden that Militec is using dead soldiers as a basis for their marketing.
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 7:45:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Is it better than Crisco?
View Quote

NO!!
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 7:53:20 AM EDT
[#11]
It does nothing for corrosion protection.
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 5:19:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It does nothing for corrosion protection.
View Quote

Yeah it seems to be piss poor for nearly everything. What I don't understand is why Militec-1 keeps insisting the Army use it? And it doesn't just end there but Militec-1 is actually absorbing the cost to supply troops with their products. Could it be that troops who get Militec-1 are also cleaning it more often than a normal soldier and thereby giving the illusion that it is working better? I also don't understand why they claim it is better than CLP but can't explain exactly what part is better.

From my experience with Froglube, I notice that if you use and clean it everyday or before you shoot, it works like a charm. If you let it sit, it seems like it dries off really fast and your weapon jams sooner and faster than if you simply used other products out there in the same time frame. I'd imagine the same thing can be said about Militec-1.
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 3:39:27 AM EDT
[#13]
It's cheap advertising, and they might hope to change the minds of the future leaders.

They give away some of their crap to Joe. Joe thinks it's awesome shit, tells all his buddies back home who buy it for personal use.
Then that Joe becomes a higher ranked NCO who might have some influence over the officers in charge, or that new LT is now in charge of purchasing. Hey, maybe he'll try getting that stuff he got for free back into the supply line.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 8:56:21 PM EDT
[#14]
I used it on my M-60's and 240's and it was a great grease, for oil I used CLP and my favorite EEZOX.  But I'm only a retired 19D40.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 8:56:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Dupe
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 10:53:29 PM EDT
[#16]
No, it's not.  Failed military testing.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 7:34:55 AM EDT
[#17]
well damn, time to empty out the bottle and refill with Mobil 1 0w40 which I buy in 5qt jugs for the kombiwagens.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 7:43:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Well it does not work as they claim it works and numerous engineers can explain why not; but part of their claims are true.

It was used extensively by units in Iraq because many bought into the claim that it was superior to CLP.   Using any lube being better than no lube, so the fact that their marketing hype meant it was used meant numerous guns worked in Iraq.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 10:08:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
 Using any lube being better than no lube, so the fact that their marketing hype meant it was used meant numerous guns worked in Iraq.
View Quote

Precisely.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 4:31:10 AM EDT
[#20]
I've used it a lot in a lot of climates....and I like it.  Worked fine for me and I found it doesn't attract dirt as much.  

I ran out of it but had a lot of Slip EWL and Slip 2000 that I got for free so I've been using that lately.  Both work fine.  

There's a lot of bad rumors out there about it.  Some have even been posted in this thread.  Bottom line....it works fine as a lube.  I really haven't tried to test it as a rust preventative...but the rifles I used it on didn't rust.  Doesn't prove anything but it worked fine when I was using it.  I used it for probably 8 years on my military issue rifles as well as my personal rifles before I ran out.  I'd use it again if I had some.  However, I have probably a 10 year supply of Slip left so I'll just keep using that.  

I don't get too excited about the latest and greatest gun lubes.  They all work to one extent or another.  

I never bought into the heat it up concept though.  I just cleaned it, lubed it, and shot it.  Nothing high-tech for me.  If your lube method requires a "system of application" then I have no reason to use it....hence the reason I have never bought into the Froglube silliness.  I just squirted Militec on the appropriate areas and fired the weapons.

Most people get too emotionally attached to lubricants.  It gets pretty silly sometimes.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top