Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2015 6:27:01 PM EDT
I bought one of DSAs blem upper receivers at Knob creek this weekend that won't fit a forward assist without modification. I'm not sure how to go about fixing it, it appears that the hole for the roll pin is slightly forward of where it should be, causing the FA to set slightly forward and not allowing the carrier to move freely.

I have a few options I think, modify the upper and ruin the anodizing,  modify the FA and it won't be usable with any other upper or don't use a forward assist and utilize a plug of some type.

What are my best options here?
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 10:40:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I would not modify a thing. If you are sure it's out-of-spec, send it back.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 6:15:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would not modify a thing. If you are sure it's out-of-spec, send it back.
View Quote

It was sold as a blem and marked as such.

I knew when I bought it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 1:48:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Blem does not generally mean unusable unless they stated such a thing was possible.
The FA is a fairly cheap part, I can’t see a problem with it only fitting that upper.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 4:27:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Blem does not generally mean unusable unless they stated such a thing was possible.
The FA is a fairly cheap part, I can’t see a problem with it only fitting that upper.
View Quote

I installed one to be sure and they were correct, unmodified it won't work.

I think the hole for the roll pin is slightly too far forward.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 1:48:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I bought one of DSAs blem upper receivers at Knob creek this weekend that won't fit a forward assist without modification. I'm not sure how to go about fixing it, it appears that the hole for the roll pin is slightly forward of where it should be, causing the FA to set slightly forward and not allowing the carrier to move freely.

I have a few options I think, modify the upper and ruin the anodizing,  modify the FA and it won't be usable with any other upper or don't use a forward assist and utilize a plug of some type.

View Quote

How often to you switch the forward assist between uppers?

Just move the notch on the FA forward enough to allow the pawl to retract out of the carrier path...
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 1:32:06 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Just move the notch on the FA forward enough to allow the pawl to retract out of the carrier path...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.  If you can even mod the inside portion of the claw where it rotates in the FA body...I bet you can make the needed room without weakening the part overly.  You should never BANG on an FA anyhow, just thumb it.  If you need to push any harder...you actually need to clear that case out of the system anyway.

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top