Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/2/2015 12:43:05 AM EDT
I'm looking for a grease or oil that I can store rubber O-rings in. I have several O-rings for bolt extractors, flashlights and a few others extras I need to protect. What kind of grease will work and can I get some locally? Thanks for the help!!!
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 12:53:05 AM EDT
[#1]
A high temp lithium will be perfect from an automotive center. And a tube of it will last you until your Grandkid's Grandkids marry.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 1:01:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A high temp lithium will be perfect from an automotive center. And a tube of it will last you until your Grandkid's Grandkids marry.
View Quote

Thanks! So lithium grease will preserve the rubber of all types of O-rings? Does it need to be high temp? Thanks again!
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 1:14:58 AM EDT
[#3]
If using it on the gas rings on the bolt, extractor or other firearms yes. I would also recommend it in many of the newer flashlights, I know the 500-1000 lumen flashlights using lithium batteries get incredibly hot, mine sure do and the high temp grease will prolong the o-rings.
You ill find yourself using it on every o-ring and gasket you own.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 3:06:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Industrial vacuum grease.

Makes them last for a LONG damn time.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 7:15:41 AM EDT
[#5]
As Joshie mentioned, Vacuum grease is best, but I use SuperLube.  Synthetic grease.  Fairly easy to find.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 8:11:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Silicone Grease, plumbers grease
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 1:10:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm looking for a grease or oil that I can store rubber O-rings in. I have several O-rings for bolt extractors, flashlights and a few others extras I need to protect. What kind of grease will work and can I get some locally? Thanks for the help!!!
View Quote

Dielectric silicon grease. Your local GM dealer should have some for sale, or, barring that, you can buy a little tub of "flashlight grease" from numerous sources online.

*I got a 2001 WS.6 Trans Am in 2006. The T-tops leaked pretty badly in the rain. I removed them, and washed the rubber seals with water. I then lubed them with dielectric silicon grease. I removed them a few times, but not often, afterward. In 2010 when I sold the car, it was still leak-free.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 2:08:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Silicone grease, I was always taught that petroleum based grease swells o rings.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 2:22:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1
Silicone grease is what I use on my flashlights rubber o'rings and threads.I have also used TW25B without issue.As far as the CRANE o'rings,they should be impervious to most all oils including CLP.If not I wouldn't use them in a rifle anyway.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 2:30:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Thanks! So lithium grease will preserve the rubber of all types of O-rings? Does it need to be high temp? Thanks again!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.Unless the o'rings are made from Buna-N, Nitrile, or silicone based keep petroleum lubes off.That said don't use silicone grease on silicone based o'rings either.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 8:11:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Nope.Unless the o'rings are made from Buna-N, Nitrile, or silicone based keep petroleum lubes off.That said don't use silicone grease on silicone based o'rings either.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you  clarify exactly what you're saying here? When you say no, are you saying no to the lithium grease needing to be high temp or no  lithium grease will not preserve O-rings?
Maybe I am misreading some of the posts but they seem to be contradicting each other at some say with the lithium will cause problems and some say it's good to go. What is Buna N? Thank you!
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 9:15:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
`

This , mentions right on the package it is for O-rings
Find it at Home Depot  in the plumbing aisle with the O-rings
Comes in a small package about the size of copenhagen

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 12:12:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
`

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
`

And it is good/preserves all types of O-rings? Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 2:16:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Can you  clarify exactly what you're saying here? When you say no, are you saying no to the lithium grease needing to be high temp or no  lithium grease will not preserve O-rings?
Maybe I am misreading some of the posts but they seem to be contradicting each other at some say with the lithium will cause problems and some say it's good to go. What is Buna N? Thank you!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Alright, you've gone full retard on this. You are thinking it to the nth degree. You have gone to 11.

I'm with you brother, and I've done the same thing.

You know who's a whore about O-rings and proper grease?

Flashlight nuts. Those guys are complete nerds about it. So just piggyback on them.

Nyogel 760G

It is the be-all, end-all, of lubing O-rings.
http://www.armytek.com/products/accessories/grease/

*Yes, I spent years on CPF trying to "build a better mousetrap" until Surefire got their ass in gear and started putting out their current WML's.*
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 4:07:22 AM EDT
[#15]
http://www.amazon.com/SILGLYDE-LUBE-COMPOUND-8-OZ/dp/B000KXLR5E

Napa used to carry that, works well, lasts forever.
Keeping the rubber away from UV does about as much as good goo for prolonging
life ime.

Side note, beware lubing up flashlight threads that need to make electrical
contact.  I've always been sparing with whatever I was using and not had
a problem, but it happens.

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 4:16:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Krytox

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 7:10:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Alright, you've gone full retard on this. You are thinking it to the nth degree. You have gone to 11.

Flashlight nuts. Those guys are complete nerds about it. So just piggyback on them.

Nyogel 760G

*Yes, I spent years on CPF trying to "build a better mousetrap" until Surefire got their ass in gear and started putting out their current WML's.*
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nyogel 760G

This.

Nyogel 760G is to O-rings what Aeroshell 33MS is to barrel threads.

It's how you do it right.

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 12:43:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ebay....   Plenty to choose from...free shipping with most.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=white+lithium+grease&_sop=15
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 3:07:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
`

Yes.

Petroleum based lubes can break down (swell) some types of O-Rings, but Silicone (grease) is safe for all types that I know of.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 4:31:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Your local SCUBA shop should have silicone grease.   That is where I got mine.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 5:02:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Industrial vacuum grease.

Makes them last for a LONG damn time.
View Quote

Krytox is usually in medical grade vacuum grease.  

https://www.chemours.com/Lubricants/en_US/sales_support/FAQs.html

I use a Krytox based drylube called Sailkote on my uppers.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 8:33:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks guys! I went with the Nyogel 760.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 2:46:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/11/2015 5:30:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't listen to this guy

Lithium greases typically contain a good amount of petroleum distillates. These will slowly degrade many O-rings.  Silicone based greases made specifically for this application is what you want.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 2:43:07 PM EDT
[#25]
A good number of flashlight nerds use Magnalube on the sealing o-rings. I use it as well on buna and nitrile o-rings, plus all of my firearms. Works splendidly- good lubricity and good corrosion resistance- and is cheap.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 4:17:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Krytox

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Krytox

Dont get any on your smokes....
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:28:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Go with the Nyogel. It's the most recommended for the threads and orings for flashlights on a forum that has even more tech geeks about lights than you'll find here about ARs.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 8:38:27 AM EDT
[#28]
and simple plumbers grease works for decades in your fixtures.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 3:28:37 AM EDT
[#29]
The only use I've ever found for Froglube paste is for a flashlight o-ring and thread lube.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 10:39:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Just so you know, Nyogel gums up over time but it does preserve the orings.  The absolute best oil I have ever used on my flashlights was a product called Nano-Oil, the 10 and 85 weight versions.  The stuff may be snake oil for all I know but I have put it on the orings of lights and they are still buttery smooth 4-5 years later.  If you have any type of twist on flashlight, this oil makes them a dream to operate.  The orings are still in tact and not coming apart or swelling.  I use it on the slides of my handguns as well and it stays there.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top