Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/1/2015 11:09:35 PM EDT
I  am working a build right now ..My problem is that I don't have a work bench to service my rifle ...So I need to keep everything portable for me .. I am looking for a kit to fit into my back pack for the range or home  .. I would like a coated multi piece cleaning rod but I am up for suggestion here .. I was looking a bore snake but I here alot of bad things about them and never tried Otis cable snake ..
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 8:15:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 9:07:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Here is what I was looking at but it has a heavy price tag for me

COYOTE TACTICAL POUCH
6 QTY. COYOTE COATED ROD SECTIONS WITH A 32.5" COMBINED WORKING LENGTH
BLACK SWIVEL ALUMINUM  T-HANDLE WITH CHAMBER LOCK END **New Design Handle for 2014
DOUBLE END NYLON UTILITY BRUSH
BORE BRUSH
SPEAR POINT JAG
PATCH HOLDER, CHAMBER BRUSH
CHAMBER MOP
1 STEP NEEDLE OILER
CLEANING PATCHES
PRO GOLD LUBRICANT
SILICONE CLOTH

Item#  COY-AR223   -  $69.99

I also saw this for pretty cheap and it has both a cable and rod for cleaning .

Multi-function handle can be used with traditional rods and pull cords and also functions as a screwdriver handle
One 32" pull cord rod
One phosphor bronze brush
One mop
One plastic slot tip
25 cleaning patches
One set of 6 driver bits
Custom molded tray in a clear top dual bond molded TPR locking case
$9.97
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:48:22 AM EDT
[#3]
The boresnake is okay so long as you don't buy that "Viper" model for .223 (every other caliber Viper snakes are okay). The reason why is that the Viper has a thinner cord attached to it and it will break off when you pull it through the barrel. Yes I had that happen to me. It has a brass brush on it and the cord snapped off in the middle of the barrel. It was a pain in the ass to change directions in the barrel with a brass brush.

The other snake models are fine.

Now, who said you needed a workbench to clean your rifle? I never heard of that. The reason to get a workbench is to avoid splashing everything with oil and creating a mess.

Since it is your first rifle, I recommend buying something from the store that you can see and feel. Perhaps a Kleenbore kit that you can pretty much buy at any store. Get that plus some extra patches. Some rags from the auto shop, and you're pretty much ready to rock and roll.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 10:47:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The boresnake is okay so long as you don't buy that "Viper" model for .223 (every other caliber Viper snakes are okay). The reason why is that the Viper has a thinner cord attached to it and it will break off when you pull it through the barrel. Yes I had that happen to me. It has a brass brush on it and the cord snapped off in the middle of the barrel. It was a pain in the ass to change directions in the barrel with a brass brush.

The other snake models are fine.

Now, who said you needed a workbench to clean your rifle? I never heard of that. The reason to get a workbench is to avoid splashing everything with oil and creating a mess.

Since it is your first rifle, I recommend buying something from the store that you can see and feel. Perhaps a Kleenbore kit that you can pretty much buy at any store. Get that plus some extra patches. Some rags from the auto shop, and you're pretty much ready to rock and roll.
View Quote

Oh ok and thanks for the great info there .. I have been working on guns since I was a kid and this is nothing new to me ... I  was looking for a kit that I can use on the range or home .. My cleaning area is my kitchen or living room ...I found a kit that looks the best to fit my needs right here for about $40.00 shipped
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 8:48:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I am trying to figure out why you would not just choose the old school military kit:
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

It is basically the same as the kit you are buying, but in a nylon (non-breakable/non-crackable) pouch.

https://oldsargesdropzone.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=89_19&products_id=451&zenid=tsmhudeodtbc9oofto60fambc2

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top