Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/16/2015 7:16:51 PM EDT
After years of just peeing on my AR to clean, lube, cool, etc., I'm thinking of other products.  JUST KIDDING!  But reading about favorite lube ideas is like finding the best BBQ recipe.  

I saw an interesting article on the web the other day about a machinegun rental place in Nevada that cleans with Simple Green and water, primarily to avoid issues with the EPA.  Makes sense.  But for lube, they use Slip2000, which I never heard of before.  They had 2 reasons.  First, it worked, with some machineguns into the 200k round count.  Second, it didn't "mist" like the all liquid lubes.  They have customers who come in neatly dressed and it's not good for business if they leave sprayed down with CLP or motor oil.

Who's had a fair amount of experience with Slip2000?  Today I picked up a small bottle, along with their cleaner and fouling remover, just to try.  But it may be awhile before I get around to a fair test.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 7:27:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Henderson defense is on this forum, maybe others.

Ive been using slip for a good while now, and i like it, i prefer normal over EWL though
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 7:32:34 PM EDT
[#2]
It has been around for at least 20 years.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 11:03:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Been using EWL for a few years, its the only oil I now use.  You will not be disappointed.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 10:00:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Slip is all I've used on my ARs for several years.  

Good shit.

Doesn't gum up, everything wipes off easy, doesn't smell, doesn't stain clothes.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 10:05:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Been using EWL for a few years, its the only oil I now use.  You will not be disappointed.
View Quote

This.

Its a bit pricey but worth it
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 10:14:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I use Slip 2000 on regular, EWL on suppressed guns.  It lasts a long time and does a pretty good job of protecting from water.

Their degreaser and cleaner products work well.  To me, it's worth the price.
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 2:53:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Really? I never heard of SLIP2000 until 2006 then SlipEWL came out after that.  I prefer the amber Slip2000 to the clear SlipEWL, seems to clean better.

Made in California too
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 8:07:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Really? I never heard of SLIP2000 until 2006 then SlipEWL came out after that.  I prefer the amber Slip2000 to the clear SlipEWL, seems to clean better.

Made in California too
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Made in California too

Yeap,as I remember it was around 2000 the Gun Lube came out.
The Mil-X formula T&E was early to mid 2000's(I had a sample sent to me at about that time by Greg Conner at Slip2000 to check out) and then the EWL came out commercially as a result.I also agree the regular Slip2000 GUN LUBE is the best overall for my preferences.Much prefer the viscosity being slightly higher than the EWL makes it stay put better IMHO,but also cleans better for some reason.The GUN LUBE is also the one that was tested at Aberdeen for Type II CLP requirement or whatever it was, and ultimately assigned an NSN as a result of passing requirements,if I remember correctly.Regardless the GUN LUBE, IMHO, has a excellent performance history every since it was released..I personally think and will say the Slip2000 is GTG, from my personal experience.Take it for whatever that is worth,but thats how I remember it and my opinion..
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 9:28:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Slip is all I've used on my ARs for several years.  

Good shit.

Doesn't gum up, everything wipes off easy, doesn't smell, doesn't stain clothes.
View Quote

this

I've been using it for about 10 years
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 7:01:56 AM EDT
[#10]
I've switched over to Slip2000 EWL for all my guns.   What many do not realize is it IS also considered a CLP.

The biggest notice I had after switching over was in rimfire guns.  Makes cleanup simple and not near as messy when using Breakfree CLP.

Remember there's always Crisco!   lol
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 1:00:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Compared to many gun lubes out there... Slip2000 is cheap. (compared ounce for ounce, when you buy the larger bottles)

I can order a 16oz bottle for $20-25 online.

The EWL version does cost more...  $40-45

The EWL has more additives that lower friction and hold up to high heat better. It was designed for belt fed firearms.

The standard gun lube cleans better because it has more cleaning additives than the EWL. Trade offs of improved lubricity of the EWL.

For the majority of shooters, the standard stuff if more than good enough, but those that like to stretch their cleaning schedule out close to 1000rds or more, or those shooting suppressed, will be better off with EWL.

I clean, and protect with the standard, and lube with EWL.

I just like that it works well, and has been proven to work well in harsh conditions... It won't gum up over time, won't dry out with time, doesn't drain away quickly like other lubes when applied and left in storage, and it handles cold Temps better than bio based lubes...

And most of all...  No special procedure to apply and use.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 1:24:25 AM EDT
[#12]
I've been using it since it hit the market.

I can't say I've done much comparisons, but I can say I've never been compelled to search for a new lube/protectant.

My shit gets stored in bore stores for years at a time, in relatively humid climates. I used to credit the bore stores, but maybe I need to also credit the oil I use.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 10:44:24 AM EDT
[#13]
I use the slip 2000 ewg on the bolt lugs and the contact point of the BCG, seems since I've been using it, my BCG's slide like a hot knife through butter in and out of battery.  For cleaning I CLP and wipe down leaving as little film as possible before applying the EWG.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 10:49:54 AM EDT
[#14]
They have been using it at TBS in Quantico VA for a while now

There are no real issues with it and it works as advertised, but gun people tend to get way too wrapped around the axles about lube. It is not really important which one you pick just pick one and use it
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top