Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/13/2015 1:55:48 AM EDT
I'm fairly new to the AR platform. I shoot mostly steel cased ammo, so I try to clean my chamber thoroughly with a chamber brush and bore cleaner while I'm cleaning the bore. One area in concerned I am not getting the bore dry enough from the oils after I am done. Any tricks ineed to know? I thought about buying some chamber swabs and using brake cleaner on the swabs.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 1:58:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Run a bore snake through it a couple times. Don't overthink it too much.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 2:08:22 AM EDT
[#2]
I do finish with a dry bore snake. But i notice that any cartridge that goes in the chamber comes out oily feeling. I know that is not supposed to be good.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 2:15:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I do finish with a dry bore snake. But i notice that any cartridge that goes in the chamber comes out oily feeling. I know that is not supposed to be good.
View Quote

Any residue left behind after running a properly sized bore snake a few times won't be a problem at all. Shoot away and don't worry about it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 6:42:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Buy a chamber brush. screw on to a short piece of cleaning rod. Dip in a good bore solvant and twist into the chamber. just three or four twists.
Cleaning the chamber is probably more important than the bore. The sealant from military ammo between the bullet and case can build up there.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 12:29:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Bore snakes are ok to use on chrome-lined barrels?
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 2:12:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Bore snakes are ok to use on chrome-lined barrels?
View Quote

yes.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 4:49:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm fairly new to the AR platform. I shoot mostly steel cased ammo, so I try to clean my chamber thoroughly with a chamber brush and bore cleaner while I'm cleaning the bore. One area in concerned I am not getting the bore dry enough from the oils after I am done. Any tricks ineed to know? I thought about buying some chamber swabs and using brake cleaner on the swabs.
View Quote

.30 Cal or 12 ga bore patch.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 5:20:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Run a bore snake through it a couple times. Don't overthink it too much.
View Quote

I never do anything special to clean my chamber. I don't use bore snakes, purely rod/patches/brushes. Whatever my barrel sees oil wise or brush wise, that's what my chamber sees, nothing more. 1000's of rounds and abuse, never a problem
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top