Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/10/2015 9:46:23 PM EDT
I have left CLP, in pretty good amounts in the barrel and chamber area before and haven't ever seen any damage however, I have recently read that it can cause damage.  I know it is recommended to swab out the barrel before shooting if CLP is present but what does the Hive say and who has actually seen barrel damage from too much CLP left in it and being fired?
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 10:16:49 PM EDT
[#1]
It will be more resistant to corrosion and possibly pick up more dust if stored for a long time.    It will certainly not hurt  it.  

Link Posted: 9/10/2015 10:38:40 PM EDT
[#2]
... What?

I never wipe it out anymore... My 1st shot is just more smokey than the subsequent ones
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 10:47:34 PM EDT
[#3]
It'll be fine.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 10:49:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I usually leave a light coat of clp in the barrel. I never had issues though you'll probably smell your clp as you shoot. Sometimes that leaves a pleasant smell though with froglube I remember it leaves a horrid smell like burnt turd. It left a bad taste in my kitty for days.

Edit: kitty is suppose to be mouth but I thought the auto correct was funny to leave
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 9:23:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Why not run one patch through before shooting?
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 9:30:03 AM EDT
[#6]
A video on lubrication that includes shooting with more than a light coat of oil in the bore: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9bOT_d60LM

Nothing catastrophic happens in this example, but probably not a "best practice" approach.

Link Posted: 9/11/2015 10:03:14 AM EDT
[#7]
I wouldn't' want to fire a bullet through a barrel that has to compress the lube to exit.  I may store a barrel after real wet patch but it wont be fired until a dry patch goes thru.  I wonder then if that doesn't fry the existing lube to the barrel. Borescope would be handy.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 10:15:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Well that Vid of Larry was pretty slick, but i'd like to see a 1 moa known gun do a series of groups instead of an oil change and popping of a few rounds and being happy that it wasn't catastrophic.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 10:16:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It'll be fine.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/11/2015 10:54:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Heavy coating of oil in the chamber can cause a hydraulic effect. The oil can get caught between the case and the chamber. Upon firing the case expands and can trap the excess oil, forcing it into the metal of the chamber, causing a ring to form. Rare? Probably but I've seen pics of the results...

Whatever is left in the barrel after running a dry patch through should be plenty to prevent corrosion in the barrel and chamber.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 11:49:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
A video on lubrication that includes shooting with more than a light coat of oil in the bore: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9bOT_d60LM

Nothing catastrophic happens in this example, but probably not a "best practice" approach.

View Quote

Just the video I was thinking about when I read the OP. While the video is certainly not a best practice to say the least having a light coat of oil in the barrel should not make your AR blow up in your face.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 9:45:09 PM EDT
[#12]
One danger of lube in a barrel is the way rifles seal the chamber during firing.

When the round is fired the case expands and for a fraction of a second it adheres to the chamber walls.
As the pressure drops after the bullet leaves the barrel the case returns to almost the original size and can be extracted.

If there's any lube in the chamber it will prevent that momentary adherence of the case to the chamber walls.
This allows the case to slide backward in the chamber and that can cause extreme pressure spikes against the locking lugs.
This is hard on the rifle and can cause ruptures or even failure of the action or bolt.

The most common problem with oil in the bore is the same thing as "Shooting the lead out" of a pistol barrel to clean lead build up out.
If there's leading or a heavy coat of oil or grease in the bore, the bullet passing down the barrel has to push the leading or lube in front of it like a boat pushes a bow wave in front.
If there's just a little too much leading or lube the bullet can't push it out of the way fast enough and the pressure spike can blow a ring or bulge in the bore.

Most people seeing a ringed or bulged barrel just assume someone got a bullet stuck.  In fact a more common cause is firing it with just a little too much leading or lube in the bore.
This is why you see strict warnings about not leaving lubes in a gun barrel when shooting it.
Always run a patch down the bore and chamber first.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 10:22:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Lube in the chamber is a known way to raise the back thrust on the bolt, maybe near to HPT levels.
If you have done that a lot you may want to be checking the lugs for cracks.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 11:36:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Iam amazed at what they show.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 12:49:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Leaving it in the barrel protects and keeps the cleaning process going. But run a dry patch through last and get the excess out.
Too much left in the barrel can raise chamber pressure.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 8:39:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

I soaked some ammo in oil to test the primer penetration theory but during the test there's no doubt that more than a "light coat" of oil was in the barrel the whole time FWIW:

Link Posted: 9/26/2015 6:13:52 PM EDT
[#17]
When I clean the barrels on my pistols or AR15 or any of my other rifles I always put a couple of drops of light weight oil on a cotton patch and run it though the barrel one time.  I like to keep a light coat of oil on the metal inside the barrels to prevent rust.  

I look inside the barrel after doing the oiled patch and don't see anything blocking the bore or the barrel.  All I see is shiny metal inside the barrel.  I do this to make sure that the barrel looks clean on the inside and it free of any obstructions.  

Should I run another dry patch though the barrels after this?  I don't carry a cleaning kit with me when I go to the range.  

Also at times I've run a Hoppe's BoreSnake though the barrel a couple of times and I apply a couple of drops of gun oil on the end of the Bore Snake to lubricate my barrel.  I wash the BoreSnakes after using them with some laundry detergent and hot water in the sink and then hang them up to dry for a day or so before putting them back in the box and into the cleaning kit.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 9:42:18 PM EDT
[#18]
The best way to protect a bore during normal storage is to run a patch with lube down the barrel a time or two, then let it spread for a minute.
Then run a dry patch through once and out the barrel in one smooth pass.

This will remove the excess oil but leave a very thin coat to protect.
In an emergency you can still fire the weapon safely.

However, it's always best to run a dry patch through the bore again before firing, making sure the chamber gets wiped out and dried too.
Read the above about "bolt thrust" caused by lubricant in the chamber preventing the case from momentarily adhering to the chamber walls.

The famed "Box O' Truth" has a nice test of the old story about lubes penetrating primers and "killing" the primer.
Nothing they tried affected the primers.

In any case, a few years ago the American Rifleman did an article on primers.  They said that it is almost impossible to really "kill" a primer.  As soon as whatever contaminated the primer dries out... the primer comes back to life.

Box O' Truth and "dead" primers:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-truth-39-oil-vs-primers/
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top