Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/20/2015 1:19:41 AM EDT
After reading various posts about how the new Break Free formula sucks compared to the old Break Free formula I would just like to say:  There ain't no difference in performance.  Old, new, it doesn't matter.  Break Free is good to go. Break Free, and yes I mean Safariland Break Free, keeps all my guns running with no worries.

And guess what, FrogLube, G96, Hoppes, RemOil, probably keeps your guns going just fine as well.  

Can we stop the neurotic comparisons of cleaning agent minutia?

That is all.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 2:33:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Sure, we can stop it. But, Slip 2000 makes clp look stupid.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 10:49:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Snake Oil
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 3:08:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Snake Oil
View Quote

That will work in a pinch too.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 12:00:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

First post knocks if the fuck out of the ball park !!!!!

Slip 2000 30weight ftmfw !!!!
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 4:55:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your post made me google slip 2000.  I was then directed to a page on the main slip 2000 website for a free sample.  I cannot wait to get my hands on it and try it!
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:04:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm getting a free sample of Slip 2000 EWL too.  I use Slip 2000 EWG on my semi-auto pistol slides, seems to be pretty good stuff.  Just bought it by chance, never hear of it before.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:34:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

How so?  I've used them both, and can't tell a whole lot of difference so far--but haven't used the EWL for that long.  Both products seem to work pretty well.  I do like Slip's cleaning products, and the fact they are non-toxic.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:55:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
After reading various posts about how the new Break Free formula sucks compared to the old Break Free formula I would just like to say:  There ain't no difference in performance.  Old, new, it doesn't matter.  Break Free is good to go. Break Free, and yes I mean Safariland Break Free, keeps all my guns running with no worries.
View Quote

I like the new formula better than the old.  The teflon was always clogging up my needle oilers with the old formula. Although I've heard the old formula contains a bit more solvent so it probably cleans a bit better. You could probably duplicate it with new CLP by adding a small amount of mineral spirits to up the solvent content, but with the way everybody worries about the health concerns with solvents I'm happy with the new formula.

Nonetheless I am a fan of Breakfree. It's an excellent do it all CLP for a great price with a solid track record. Are there better products out there? Probably. Do I feel I need a better product?.... not really.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 4:01:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm getting a free sample of Slip 2000 EWL too.  I use Slip 2000 EWG on my semi-auto pistol slides, seems to be pretty good stuff.  Just bought it by chance, never hear of it before.
View Quote

Make sure and try their degreaser and carbon killer if you need to clean a serviceable can or have a headache issue.
It is good enough for the Marine Corps.
Semper Fi.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 10:53:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Make sure and try their degreaser and carbon killer if you need to clean a serviceable can or have a headache issue.
Semper Fi.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Semper Fi.

I just ordered the lube, degreaser, and carbon killer. I'm looking forward to trying this stuff out.

They must be out of California, because I got hit for sales tax.
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 11:04:59 PM EDT
[#11]
To be honest, I've been using Froglube for the past year. I found that while at first it works really good I notice that it has a faster drying out time. What I mean is if you clean it, say a month before, and you go out shooting, it doesn't seem to be functioning as well as it should be. The way I got it working is like this: if I lube it the day before shooting, it functions flawlessly. If I let it sit for a while, say a week, then what I notice is the firearm tends to activate the froglube after X number of shots, then at some point above that it completely dries up and basically comes out looking bone dry.

I decided to switch back to my old tried and true formula of Breakfree with grease, Lubriplate 130A. Doesn't seem to dry out as fast and it seems to function better in the long term.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 12:21:21 AM EDT
[#12]
I too have also went back to Breakfree CLP after trying out a different CLP for about a year.  IMHO it gets the job done, doesn't require any special techniques to apply, it's reasonably priced and it has worked for me for years.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 2:24:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
After reading various posts about how the new Break Free formula sucks compared to the old Break Free formula I would just like to say:  There ain't no difference in performance.  
View Quote

Old clean better due to the high solvent content.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 2:31:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
After reading various posts about how the new Break Free formula sucks compared to the old Break Free formula I would just like to say:  There ain't no difference in performance.  

Breakfree is all I have used in the last few years and it hasn't caused any problems. Perhaps the slip 2000 may lube better but for shear convenience factor the CLP is hard to beat. I may go for a free sample of Slip 2000.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 11:34:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Breakfree is all I have used in the last few years and it hasn't caused any problems. Perhaps the slip 2000 may lube better but for shear convenience factor the CLP is hard to beat. I may go for a free sample of Slip 2000.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The new stuff still works. Just not as well as the late 1980s stuff that was 30% solvent and would give you a headache and eat the skin right off your fingers. That's cleaned much better. But it was bad for your liver.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 12:31:33 PM EDT
[#16]
I use Breakfree CLP  & TW25B in all my pistols and most of my rifles, anything running corrosive ammo gets Ballistol.
I've also used Mobil 1 motor oil and Wal Mart bearing grease, they work fine as well but will stain clothes and have a distinctive smell.

If you have a product that works better than any of these, good for you. Like automotive motor oil there's the best, and there's good enough. IMHO anything above good enough is going down the drain after the next oil change/cleaning. I don't need the BEST gun cleaning products, I just have to clean it properly and when it needs it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 1:01:34 PM EDT
[#17]
The new Safariland formulation does not prevent rust as well nor does it meet mil spec.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 1:01:46 PM EDT
[#18]
I also love the smell of the old Teflon flake formulation.

Link Posted: 9/22/2015 5:05:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The new Safariland formulation does not prevent rust as well nor does it meet mil spec.

View Quote

If Break Free CLP does not meet mil-spec anymore what is the military using?

Yep, I'm way out of the loop as I thought the military was still using Break Free CLP.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 5:32:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Still works good for me, what time period did they change formula?
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 8:05:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Yep, I'm way out of the loop as I thought the military was still using Break Free CLP.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

royco or g96 brand clps.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 10:20:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
royco or g96 brand clps.
View Quote

Thanks.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top