Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/14/2015 1:13:58 AM EDT
Ok, I hate to be "that guy" who asks the same question that's asked daily. But I'm stumped over this "oil vs grease" thing for AR's. It seems grease is gaining traction with the AR crowd. I'm not a fan of grease with AR's mostly because oil is easier to clean up (and I clean my AR's often, unlike my AK's). I love the idea of grease though, as it stays put very well (unlike oil, which will run over time). I use white lithium grease on my AK's, but they do not require bolt cleaning often at ALL (as in, hardly EVER). The AR, on the other hand, I like to keep very clean, so prefer oil since it wipes down/cleans easier (I use Mobil 1 10w30).  Also, even within the "grease" crowd, there are different "camps" as to WHERE to grease (ex: one camp omits the gas rings, the other greases them, etc).
If grease is so great on AR's, why doesn't the military suggest/use it?
I'd like to switch to grease, but would not look forward to the (slightly) messier clean up.
Help me here... sell me on grease!

Again, I'm sorry to be "that guy", it just seems like two different camps are both claiming theirs is better without claims of why (other than oil runs, and grease doesn't, or one works in sub temps and the other doesn't).
Help me out here.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 1:24:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Gotta disagree....oil is messier...cuz it drips all over.  Grease is an ez clean up.  IMO
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 1:58:24 AM EDT
[#2]
I like grease! I just use my finger to spread a very light coating on the contact points on my bolt and on the front bearing surfaces of the carrier. When I clean the bolt I use Eds red, and it all cleans very easily. Then re apply grease. I've never had a malfunction. But I keep my gun clean.
I do occasionaly use a drop of light oil on the extractor hinge pin and the ejector.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 3:50:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Ive found grease is alot easier to manage when cleaning and applying. Doesnt drip at all really.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 4:16:43 AM EDT
[#4]
OK, so all I'm really getting is "oil runs". Which is one aspect I already knew. However, that's also an advantage (a few drops of oil can be dripped into the bolt port holes. Grease can not.). It seems grease is a great lube, but oil is more friendly "in the field" where minute application can be applied. It would seem that when grease is done... it's done (breakdown time), where oil can simply be reapplied (added w/o cleaning) to keep it running.
Again... other than "oil runs, grease doesn't" which in itself is a pro AND con, what else is better about grease?
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 4:44:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OK, so all I'm really getting is "oil runs". Which is one aspect I already knew. However, that's also an advantage (a few drops of oil can be dripped into the bolt port holes. Grease can not.). It seems grease is a great lube, but oil is more friendly "in the field" where minute application can be applied. It would seem that when grease is done... it's done (breakdown time), where oil can simply be reapplied (added w/o cleaning) to keep it running.
Again... other than "oil runs, grease doesn't" which in itself is a pro AND con, what else is better about grease?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That's pretty much it. That's the purpose of grease. To remain where it's placed in any condition. It might be more water repellent as well, and might be able to hold more extreme anti pressure additives. Grease is really just oil with a thickener, the base. In lithium grease it's not the lithium soap base that is the lube, but whatever the lube itself is.

A copy and paste from I think, ask.com,
Greases and oils both lubricate similar materials, but some applications favor one type over the other. For example, oil is easy to pour, which makes it convenient to use in car engines. Additionally, as the oil gradually undergoes chemical changes while lubricating the engine and collects bits of debris, it must be replaced periodically. This is easier to accomplish with a liquid that can be drained easily, as opposed to a grease, which does not flow well.
By contrast, greases are better suited for applications dealing with sealed containers or components that are hard to access. For example, bearings and gears frequently rely on grease as a lubricant, rather than oil. Unlike oil, greases do not carry heat away from moving parts and are unsuitable for use as a coolant. Additionally, because grease does not transport heat well, it is used in lower-speed applications than oils are. Eventually, most greases turn into a full liquid or a hard deposit.

Firearms aren't the only place you'll find this argument... fishing reels, bicycles, plenty of machinery in general. It's kind of funny in a way.
http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/923/grease-oil

Link Posted: 8/14/2015 7:17:31 AM EDT
[#6]
I've thought that oil was better in DI guns since it can "float away" the carbon/residue, one of the reasons for running them "wet".  Grease would trap and hold it.

The general thought/rule is "If it slides, grease it.  If it rotates, oil it" but not with AR bolts because of the dirt/carbon etc.

I'm sure either works well (as evidenced by people's experience on here), but that was my understanding for using oil rather than grease...
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 9:51:36 AM EDT
[#7]
I only use CLP on the AR's.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 10:23:01 AM EDT
[#8]
I am in Houston and can run grease year round.
I use XF-7 applied IAW the instructions.
I can’t tell it collects carbon, etc. any worse than CLP.
If I am doing a lot of shooting I tend to add a few drops of Slip EWL along the way.
I like grease for my purposes, someone else may or may not.
SEI recommends XF-7 for their weapons.
If you think you may like it, try it.
It’s not like it is an irreversible decision.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 1:20:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Also to me grease wins because oil tends to go where it shouldn't and attract dirt like down in the lower trigger pocket.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 1:25:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Oil for me clean up is dawn dish soap and water
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 2:10:47 PM EDT
[#11]
OK, I'm going to try white lithium grease for a bit (I use that on external piston rifles) for my DI. I'm thinking that, since it's less "sticky" than some other greases, it may clean up fairly easy.
While I love to lubricity of Mobile 1, I am (like prior poster mentioned) getting tired of it running all over the place (stored barrel up, it WILL run down into the buffer tube instead of staying put on the carrier). I'll give it a go.
Thanks for the feedback guys!
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 2:26:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Bro, do you even FROG LUBE?
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 2:44:48 PM EDT
[#13]
TW-25B
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 5:59:25 PM EDT
[#14]
I use both.
Some parts get a light coat of grease: Bolt carrier rails, cam pin and cam cut in the bolt carrier, front face of the hammer, bolt locking lugs, trigger contact points.
Most other areas get CLP Breakfree, especially the gas rings on the bolt.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 7:18:43 PM EDT
[#15]
OP try switching to a more viscous form of CLP to see if that will work for you.  Some CLP's are just too runny, I agree but there are a few out there that for the most part stay where you put them and don't burn off too quickly.  I can't sell you on grease bro because I have no experience with it.  I didn't even use grease in the military but that doesn't mean it isn't/hasn't been used before.  I have been shooting this platform for about 20 years and can say that CLP evolution has came a long way from what I can tell giving us a lot to choose from.  Good luck and report back your choice/results.  I hope this helps.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 9:51:16 PM EDT
[#16]
I notice, among the grease crowd, that some grease the gas rings, while others do not. Can someone clarify as to why, or why not, grease the rings?
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 9:59:27 PM EDT
[#17]
I do a little bit of grease swabbed on with a qtip.

As for cleaning it, any solvent breaks it down and a wipe takes care of it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 10:17:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I notice, among the grease crowd, that some grease the gas rings, while others do not. Can someone clarify as to why, or why not, grease the rings?
View Quote

I have used both over the years and can’t say I noticed any difference.
Considering the pressures I would think either just gets blown out pretty quick.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 10:22:44 AM EDT
[#19]
I have tried lots of products over the years.  Recently, I bought a liquid grease from Wilson Combat.

This stuff is absolutely amazing.  It goes on as a liquid, stays exactly where you put it, and is slick as snot.

My Slip2000 now sits on the shelf.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 5:16:46 PM EDT
[#20]
I've started using Mobile 1 synthetic grease on the cam pins of my AR's, so there's that.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 7:54:33 PM EDT
[#21]
I use a little grease on the cam pin and carrier but thats it, in the winter grease is a big no around here.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 8:15:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Grease stays put, but it also holds crap.  I use a little grease inside the pin bores for triggers and hammers, but for regular lubrication, I use Mobil 1, Slip 2000, or sometimes CLP.  Oil has the ability to flow away from places that it's picked up foreign material and gunk, and it's easy to add a little oil when something's running a bit slowly - can't really do that with grease, and if you tried, you'd just wind up having it hold more gunk and helping to wear your parts.

Finally, what "the AR crowd" does doesn't interest me in this area.  A lot of us are notional, insufficiently cautious and even plain flakey.  When it comes to maintaining something in working order, I stick with proven materials and procedures.  Like OIL for primary lube in an AR.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 8:45:19 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Considering the pressures I would think either just gets blown out pretty quick.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

i would think any petroleum product on gas rings would just add to carbon build up.

Link Posted: 8/15/2015 8:45:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I've thought that oil was better in DI guns since it can "float away" the carbon/residue, one of the reasons for running them "wet".  Grease would trap and hold it.

The general thought/rule is "If it slides, grease it.  If it rotates, oil it" but not with AR bolts because of the dirt/carbon etc.

I'm sure either works well (as evidenced by people's experience on here), but that was my understanding for using oil rather than grease...
View Quote

I've found that grease is much easier to clean up.  Just wipe it down and reapply.  Sometimes I'll give a wipe down with CLP there in the middle for the C part.

It tends to suspend the carbon rather than running off and leaving a poorly lubricated part that carbon adheres to.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 9:39:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Recently started using a little grease in certain areas, but oil is mainly what I use. Which would be Mobil 1 leftovers from oil changes.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 8:34:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
i would think any petroleum product on gas rings would just add to carbon build up.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would not be my experience with XF-7, but there are many types of grease out there.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 1:15:32 PM EDT
[#27]
i had an interesting experience with using Slip 2000 grease that i use in my AK's.

i tried it in a LWRC 12.5" piston upper that had been cut down from 16". i didnt open the gas port because it was over gassed as a 16" and cycled great a 12" with the same port size.

that is until i tried grease, then it failed to cycle fully 100% of the time. when i would switchback to oil and it was fine. i tried this twice with the same results and using fed xm193 ammo as well.

Link Posted: 8/24/2015 6:36:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
i had an interesting experience with using Slip 2000 grease that i use in my AK's.

i tried it in a LWRC 12.5" piston upper that had been cut down from 16". i didnt open the gas port because it was over gassed as a 16" and cycled great a 12" with the same port size.

that is until i tried grease, then it failed to cycle fully 100% of the time. when i would switchback to oil and it was fine. i tried this twice with the same results and using fed xm193 ammo as well.

View Quote

That's an unreliable gun. It should cycle dry, let alone greased.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 6:51:41 PM EDT
[#29]
A grease and Mobil 1 thread.

Nice op.

CLP/ Slip 2000  is all I use
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 8:44:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I only use CLP on the AR's.
View Quote

CLP and Shooters Choice FP-10 Lubricating oil.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 2:04:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Seal1 to clean and various mix of Mobil1 oil and Mobil1 grease for lube. General rule of thumb. If it slides it's grease, if it rotates it oil with a few exceptions.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:41:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Second the earlier recommendation of TW25B, but not as a replacement for oil.  I use MC2500 and TW25B, and both have their places.

Something else that hasn't been noted in this thread, grease is a handy way to stick parts together temporarily for assembly!
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top