Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2015 7:34:09 PM EDT
I am a big fan of the foam bore cleaners, as they allow me to "treat and forget" for moderate periods of time and then I can clean with patches and minimal -if any - brushing. While the product's flexible tube works and fits perfectly in the 5.56 chamber, I have issues with bore sizes 8mm and above.The foam will "backfire" from the chamber and not be directed down the bore. What are some tricks and or adapters you guy use for larger chambers/bores?
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 8:40:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Get a longer  piece of clear tubing smaller then your bore to use as an extension.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 12:28:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Interesting question, I read in the instructions on one can of foaming cleaner that it is NOT to be used in semi-auto rifles. Only reason I can think of is that the foam is going to go up the gas port, into the block/tube, and there's no way to clean it out. Not sure if the issue is crud build up or leaving a solvent in place too long.

What do you guys think about that?

-Stooxie
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 2:17:39 PM EDT
[#3]
That's nuts.  The only bore cleaner I have ever used is forming bore cleaner and 95% of my guns are semi-auto---never an issue.
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 9:00:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Interesting question, I read in the instructions on one can of foaming cleaner that it is NOT to be used in semi-auto rifles. Only reason I can think of is that the foam is going to go up the gas port, into the block/tube, and there's no way to clean it out. Not sure if the issue is crud build up or leaving a solvent in place too long.

-Stooxie
View Quote

That's why they make NCBC....
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 9:03:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Stooxie

This....

If you have concerns after using FBC, shoot some NCBC down the gas tube. It will flush any FBC residue out. Some FBC's can leave a sticky residue behind if left to dry. I think this is where the warning on the can comes from.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 7:02:42 PM EDT
[#6]
What is NCBC?  It may be well known by most, but not me.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 9:20:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

non chlorinated brake cleaner
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 2:24:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

aka the $3 can that cleans firearms just as good as the "Super special, AR specific, aerosol cleaner" that is on sale for only $14.    
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 2:59:00 PM EDT
[#9]
tag for interest as I have never used a foaming bore type cleaner
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top