Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/7/2015 8:25:07 AM EDT
I ordered up Ballistol yesterday. I intend to still use Butchs bore shine in the barrel. What can expect to get in the way of cleaning from the Ballistol, or did i waste my money?
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 3:23:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I ordered up Ballistol yesterday. I intend to still use Butchs bore shine in the barrel. What can expect to get in the way of cleaning from the Ballistol, or did i waste my money?
View Quote

I curious to see what others think because I just drank the Ballistol Kool-Aid too!  However, so far I have been impressed....
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 5:19:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I got my ballistol and cleaned two AR's one had a 22LR conversion kit in
it with only 50 rds of 22LR thru it. They other AR was also fairly
clean. the Ballistol cleaned carbon fairly fast, it also appears to have
cleaned the small amount of lead deposits on the 22 conversion. Shined
up the two barrels nicely. But for me it is too soon to tell if it will
be worth buying more when this bottle runs out. Smells like crap, like
Hoppes smell way better. The first words out of my wife's mouth was the the Ballistol actually smelled weakly of shit.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 9:14:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Ballistol is a very good cleaner, and does a good job preventing rust. Decent general lube for most stuff, revolvers, pumps, and the like. It's great for black powder guns, and anywhere you might be shy of getting your lube on fragile plastics or wood finishes. Not harsh on leather or hardly anything really.

I use something more viscous for pistol slides and AR bolts and such.

The first time my former boss handed me a rifle he had built, It had Ballistol all in it. It was a bolt-action with a beautiful hand made stock. I was like "awesome gun, but what is that SMELL?" Smelled like rotten ASS. Oddly enough you get used to it and it doesn't seem unpleasant at all now.
Don't spray the aerosol version inside the house though, when that foul stuff first comes out of the can it could choke a maggot.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 9:44:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Great product with lots of applications.  However, it does not hold up well at high temps.

Link Posted: 7/15/2015 10:23:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Smells like licorice because it's main ingredient is derived from Anise, the popular substitute for licorice flavoring, the smell fades fast though.

It is great for storage and regular maintenance.

Link Posted: 7/16/2015 11:02:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Great product with lots of applications.  However, it does not hold up well at high temps.

View Quote

Same experience Ive had and it smokes like crazy when it does flash off.Only time Ive seen this though is when running a carbine hard.That said its not an issue,just relube frequently as you would with Break Free CLP,which also flashes off rather quickly.My primary use for Ballistol is the edged weapons, black powder guns and milsurps.For the Ar I prefer Weapon Shield CLP or something like Slip2000 etc..Reason is those lubes stick around on the parts much better in heavy use.

As for the odor,I like it,but Imve been using it for 15 years and its just in my memory now as a gun smell,kinda like Hoppes No.9.The smell is mostly the alcohols used in the Ballistol that stinks initially and once they evaporate the sweet anise scent is all that remains.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 11:35:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Before Balistol, I would completely disassemble my BP revolver, scrub it with soap and water, spray it with WD 40, and then warm it in an oven to completely dry it before hitting it again with WD.

With Balistol, even with it mixed with water, I have no fear or evidence of rust on my BP firearms.  I scrub it with the mix, wipe it dry, and then hit it with full strength for final wipe down.  Revolvers and Sharps long range rifle are what I use it on.

The stuff doesn't smell quite so pleasant for the women folk around, but I just deal with it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 4:19:41 PM EDT
[#8]
i may be an oddball but i actually like the smell of ballistoil.  wife thinks it smells like feet, i get a nyquil tye smell.  great cleaner, i guess an acquired smell.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 10:14:58 AM EDT
[#9]
I will try the ballistol out on a Sig P226, and a P227 today. I will see how it cleans pistols.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top