Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2015 9:34:26 PM EDT
I had an interesting experience today.  I was at the outdoor range with one of my AR’s having a great time.  After about 20 minutes another member pulled up and asked if we could call a cold range so he could set up his target stands. It was not long and we were both shooting.  

He started having problems with his rifle after about 30 rounds and asked if I could take a look at it for him.  It was a very nice a Christensen Arms rifle and he was shooting Lake City ammo and using Magpul mags.  Everything looked good until I opened it to find the bolt, carrier and chamber filled with oily crud.

I asked him when he had cleaned it last and was told he has never cleaned it and be that he just adds oil (Slip 2000) before every range trip according to what he read on AR15.com.  
The AR15 is one of the easiest firearms to clean.  I understand many on this and other sites discourage cleaning because they don’t know how, but we should not pass this on to new shooters.  

Learn how and pass on the knowledge.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:45:02 PM EDT
[#1]
OK, but, where AR15's are concerned that is kind 'a stupid!  
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:05:25 PM EDT
[#2]
he spent  to much time in GD  learning about trannies
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:10:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Katrina' s most likely right. Less trannies more tech forums.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:20:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
 Everything looked good until I opened it to find the bolt, carrier and chamber filled with oily crud.

View Quote

Huh?

That stuff never gets dirty on my rifles.

Ruger SR-556
Ruger SR-762

I do have to clean my piston adjustment valve and barrel every once in a while though.

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:00:59 AM EDT
[#5]
glad you helped the man. he just did not know.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 5:01:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I've never had a rifle fail because it was too clean. There are those here that don't spend a whole lot of effort cleaning their rifles but they do clean them. This guy seems to be misinformed. Seems he learned a valuable lesson.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 8:27:43 PM EDT
[#7]
To me, when so many people boast of how long it's been since they cleaned their rifles, as if that was a good thing, newbs are bound to pick up bad habits.  Which is why, when I run into legit questions about cleaning, I ALWAYS note that I clean after each range session.  Giving a new user a counter to the "these things never need cleaning" concept is all we can do.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 1:05:49 AM EDT
[#8]
My question is where on AR15.com did he read don't ever clean your AR? Heck in my 18 months on here I can't think of a week that I have not seen someone asking about what everyone uses let alone the "I clean mine every time I go to the range thread that's been popping up once a week the last few months.  I hear you on passing on good knowledge but, really??? I have not heard of the you don't need to clean it since Stoner built the darn thing and they issued kits to the GI's (yes that a bad joke).

Glad you were there to set him straight before he got a bad impression of the rifle and started spouting how the AK is more reliable
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 5:50:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My question is where on AR15.com did he read don't ever clean your AR? Heck in my 18 months on here I can't think of a week that I have not seen someone asking about what everyone uses let alone the "I clean mine every time I go to the range thread that's been popping up once a week the last few months.  I hear you on passing on good knowledge but, really??? I have not heard of the you don't need to clean it since Stoner built the darn thing and they issued kits to the GI's (yes that a bad joke).

Glad you were there to set him straight before he got a bad impression of the rifle and started spouting how the AK is more reliable
View Quote

Many such posts in this thread alone:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_7/671328_I_clean_my_guns_after_every_visit_to_the_range.html
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 6:34:24 AM EDT
[#10]
i go 1-2k in between cleanings, but i still clean it
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:30:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't clean, I just add CLP before range trips, and I sure don't get any buildup of oily gunk.   Maybe he's using a bit of grease in there?
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:46:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Iirc slip has a rep for gumming up.

You don't need to clean after every range trip but do need to clean at some point. Some build up is self limiting, some lube is better then others.

Personally I typically clean after most range trips if I'm not going back for a week or so. But if I'm going multiple times in a week with the same gun I won't do detailed clean until I'm done for the week. Currently I've shot the last 2 days and am at 450 rounds through my 226. All it gets is CLP sprayed down the barrel and a wipe down externally. Tomorrow will be 3rd day in a row and probably another 200-300 rounds. 700'ish in 3 days before cleaning it. I did add a little more TW25b to the rails this evening. That's it. I really want to clean it at this point but... I'm lazy
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:20:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_7/671328_I_clean_my_guns_after_every_visit_to_the_range.html
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess I just read those as people being sarcastic..... But perhaps that was the OP piint. Not everyone reads sarcasm. I mean they say dont clean a cast iron skillet but I dont know of anyone that doesnt atleast wipe it down.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:34:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I don't clean, I just add CLP before range trips, and I sure don't get any buildup of oily gunk.   Maybe he's using a bit of grease in there?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Maybe he's gotten the idea that "adding CLP" means pouring it in and not making sure the old stuff gets wiped off now and then.  CLP can hold onto crap and turn it into nasty mud if you don't get the old stuff out.

Quoted:
Iirc slip has a rep for gumming up.

You don't need to clean after every range trip but do need to clean at some point. Some build up is self limiting, some lube is better then others.

Personally I typically clean after most range trips if I'm not going back for a week or so. But if I'm going multiple times in a week with the same gun I won't do detailed clean until I'm done for the week. Currently I've shot the last 2 days and am at 450 rounds through my 226. All it gets is CLP sprayed down the barrel and a wipe down externally. Tomorrow will be 3rd day in a row and probably another 200-300 rounds. 700'ish in 3 days before cleaning it. I did add a little more TW25b to the rails this evening. That's it. I really want to clean it at this point but... I'm lazy

Slip 2000 doesn't gum up if you make sure the gun is clean when you put it on.  It's not their lube, it's the stuff left in the gun that gums up.  I use their 725 Degreaser to clean with, then either Slip's Gun Lube or something similar once I've wiped everything dry.  I won't say I clean my weapons immediately after I get in from a range session, but I do clean them after each session.  My favorite range can have anything from Mideast-like dust to soupy mud, so I keep stuff clean.  It's not just a habit from my service days, it's something that lets me examine and inspect my weapons to make sure they're doing well.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:56:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Brilliant!

I Cant believe the OP read it on ARFcom.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:59:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Clean your rifle.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:15:07 AM EDT
[#17]
I didn't know shit about guns.  Lurked here, and a few other sites,  and learned what I needed.  That was 15 years ago.

Everyone said get a cleaning kit mags and ammo by the case.

Did that.  Still true.  I tell others to do the same.

PS... If you buy a fancy amateur radio... You need an antenna too.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 3:59:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Do you change the oil in your car or do you just keep adding as needed?
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 4:09:47 PM EDT
[#19]
The number of people posting the, "no need to clean just soak it in oil" dribble are fewer than those providing sound advice. Sounds like the guy at the range chose to listen to what he wanted to hear and took the lazy way out. Fortunately his learning experience happened on the range and not when he needed his gun.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:06:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I didn't know shit about guns.  Lurked here, and a few other sites,  and learned what I needed.  That was 15 years ago.

Everyone said get a cleaning kit mags and ammo by the case.

Did that.  Still true.  I tell others to do the same.

PS... If you buy a fancy amateur radio... You need an antenna too.
View Quote

You'd think that anyone spending the time and effort to buy an amateur radio would not need to be told that, but...  Excellent example there.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:48:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Much like most things in life.  There's a gray area.  I don't always clean my rifle after shooting, but I also never ignore it.   This attitude that it has to be cleaned even after one shot is kinda funny to me, equally funny is the guy who is proud never to clean his weapon.   There has to be an in between.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 1:30:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Much like most things in life.  There's a gray area.  I don't always clean my rifle after shooting, but I also never ignore it.   This attitude that it has to be cleaned even after one shot is kinda funny to me, equally funny is the guy who is proud never to clean his weapon.   There has to be an in between.
View Quote

I couldn't agree more however, I do not find humor in those who never clean their firearms. I do not think those who advocate it should not be allowed to do so in this forum.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 6:06:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Here we go again. Another "no need to clean" thread.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_7/678084_so_the_ar_15_scraper_tool_by_avid__.html

Why do we have a cleaning and maintenance forum? Obviously anyone who would choose to spend a whole 20 minutes out of their day to clean a rifle is crazy.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 12:23:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Cleaning an AR is stupid easy. Why do so many people skip this? It's just silly IMO
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 10:26:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Whenever I have a new build I just lube it and shoot it until failure.  For me it's just to test the reliability.  I like to know how long that particular rifle will go before needing a cleaning.

After that test I've been doing a soak and wipe down every 500 and deep cleaning every 1,000.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top