Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/26/2015 6:21:12 AM EDT
Anyone else ever use the CRC Moly Lube from Grainger's for refinishing. I followed the various directions online, and am not sure I got the proper result. The mags were sprayed and baked, but when I wiped them down after cooling, they came out shiny with some areas darker than others. They aluminum is covered, but the finish consistency is unlike anything I've seen from examples online.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:31:14 AM EDT
[#1]
The CRC Moly is a dry lube not a surface finish.
I have used it to coat lower parts and the action spring after degreasing.
It has worked well in that role for me.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 12:52:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The CRC Moly is a dry lube not a surface finish.
I have used it to coat lower parts and the action spring after degreasing.
It has worked well in that role for me.
View Quote

I knew that, but I've seen some people online use it to restore mags in lieu of Permaslik.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:51:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Online sources can be a great help, unfortunately they can also be a source of unintended consequences.
Back when mags were really expensive I would have them re-anodized.
I never tried to coat them as the hardcoat anodizing was sufficient for my purposes.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:12:06 PM EDT
[#4]
The finish is not anodizing.  It IS a coating similar to what the OP wants to put on them.  I believe Mil-Spec is or similar to "Perma Slik G".
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:44:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I have and use CRC Moly Lube.
I think the OP has discovered that however similar it may be the results were disappointing.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 10:17:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Actually anodizing is part of the finish process with USGI aluminum mags.
It is important for corrosion and wear resistance.
It just is not the last step.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 7:47:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have and use CRC Moly Lube.
I think the OP has discovered that however similar it may be the results were disappointing.
View Quote

Exactly right. Came out looking nothing like what I have seen with Perma Slik. Wiped them down, and although it covered the anodizing, they came out shiny and mottled. Prep was done with Simple green scrub followed by acetone after, so I know grease and dirt were not the issue.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top