Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/17/2015 11:01:10 PM EDT
I painted an old QD end plate with Deep Forest Green Camo Rustoleum (foliage green) for sh*ts and giggles. Threw it on the BBQ a few hours after painting to help it cure faster. I kinda made a mistake as far as the temp. (Using the oven in the house for this would piss people off...)  to my amusement the paint start bubbling at about 400 degrees for 10 minutes. I know it wasn't high temp but damn

I'm assuming doing a FSB/gas block with this formula would be a big mistake. Are there any high temperature paints that come in colors other than black/gray?? Ceracoat/Gunkote aside. That stuff is pretty pricey for the small quantity I wanted to use. For those who rattle canned their whole rifle and shot it til it was hot. How did the fsb hold up.

It's nothing a little sand paper/brake cleaner wouldn't fix.

Guess I'll pick up a cheap toaster oven from goodwill/ a thrift store for this purpose either way.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 2:36:06 AM EDT
[#1]
The common "low temp" paints hold up find.

I think you'll have other problems before you get the outer surface of your weapon up to 400*F.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 3:34:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The common "low temp" paints hold up find.

I think you'll have other problems before you get the outer surface of your weapon up to 400*F.
View Quote

Was more concerned about the temps of a gas block that I was thinking of painting. I thought they can get into that range of temp, since they can even get too hot for red loctite of all things to be effective. (max temp for red loctite is 550 degrees iirc)
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 10:10:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Go to your local auto parts store and look for the high heat ceramic base exhaust paint in the rattle cans.  The color selection will not be great; I've only used black so I can't recall seeing "tactical" colors, or even earth tones for that matter.  And I've used Brownells Aluma-Hyde II and Gun-Kote for other parts as well.

Most of these finishes require curing at low temperatures before you can blast them with really high heat.  I have an old toaster oven that I use for small parts.  I have a shed that gets pretty warm during the summer.  I will hang bigger parts there for a week or so in the summer.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 10:41:47 PM EDT
[#4]
This rifle was done with a base coat of norrels moly resin then rustoleum camo ....... it's never bubbled and it's gotten plenty hot plenty of times.

Link Posted: 6/19/2015 2:47:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Would a gas block get any hotter than the barrel?
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 3:03:21 AM EDT
[#6]
I've had Aervoe foliage green turn brown on a barrel from the heat of firing.

Aluminahyde from Brownells holds up decently, it's rated to 250 degrees. I've not had any issues with that.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 8:43:38 PM EDT
[#7]
i just rattle canned a couple AR's with tan, green and brown krylon camo flat paint, barrels and front sights and while i dont do mag dumps i do get them hot enough to not wanna touch. havent seen anything chamge color yet.

even if it does, i just see it as character building.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top