Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2015 8:44:54 PM EDT
I went a little overboard when I got my first AR15 and ordered a bunch of stuff. Most hasn't been used, but as I cleaned my rifle for the first time today, after about 1,100 rounds, I am glad I bought the CAT M4. It actually made short work of the carbon accumulated on the bolt tail. Couple of twists and all gone. Well, a few more than a couple. Anyway, it was easier than using a pick or a patch soaked in solvent. But the price is a little steep. C'mon now. $35? Really? Well, it works, and I guess $35 is cheaper than replacing the bolt after all.

Anyway, thought I'd share my experience.

Link Posted: 6/5/2015 8:59:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Good tool.  I use to fret about the residue in the bolt carrier.  Now I just use the CAT M4 tool, give it a few passes, and call it a day.

Link Posted: 6/5/2015 9:15:39 PM EDT
[#2]
You dont have to scrape the carbon off.

Carbon scraper tools are the equivalent of gas tube cleaners
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 9:40:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Wish you would have told that to my armorer.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 11:19:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

Maybe but its not like it can hurt to keep it clean. And at some point it could certainly keep things from operating as they should. The CAT makes quick work of it. I like mine.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 11:57:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

While true, the M4 took takes 3 seconds to twirl twice.
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 12:10:25 AM EDT
[#6]
not necessary... if you really want to scrape off the carbon, a cheap paring knife works well.
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 12:14:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Maybe but its not like it can hurt to keep it clean. And at some point it could certainly keep things from operating as they should. The CAT makes quick work of it. I like mine.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You'll break your bolt way before that is a problem
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 5:26:10 AM EDT
[#8]
This thing is no magic bullet.  It happens to fit nicely into the bolt carrier.  A few turns, followed up with a patch at the end, and a lot more carbon is removed than other methods.  There is still carbon, but not a significant build up.  Saves time.
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 8:25:05 AM EDT
[#9]
have used the the tool for 6 or7 years, good tool to have.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 4:22:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I use a free pen knife, but the carbon is self limiting and does not need removal, but i do anyway.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 6:14:14 PM EDT
[#11]
I use the Kley-Zion CRT tool.  Works like a charm.  For those of you in a race to build up carbon, go ahead.  I have no need for carbon in a tool that I trust my life with, especially if I can do something about it in 15 seconds.  Though I will say, wish my drill sergeant knew about this carbon thing...
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 9:05:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I use an Otis BONE tool.  Works good for me and like another poster said it's not a magic bullet but it works well enough and keeps carbon buildup to a minimum.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 12:19:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I went a little overboard when I got my first AR15 and ordered a bunch of stuff. Most hasn't been used, but as I cleaned my rifle for the first time today, after about 1,100 rounds, I am glad I bought the CAT M4. It actually made short work of the carbon accumulated on the bolt tail. Couple of twists and all gone. Well, a few more than a couple. Anyway, it was easier than using a pick or a patch soaked in solvent. But the price is a little steep. C'mon now. $35? Really? Well, it works, and I guess $35 is cheaper than replacing the bolt after all.

Anyway, thought I'd share my experience.

View Quote

I agree and here it is for $33 shipped.      Review Below:

Link Posted: 6/12/2015 10:02:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Not trying to derail but is it true that leaving the carbon will cause pitting in that area?
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 11:52:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Not trying to derail but is it true that leaving the carbon will cause pitting in that area?
View Quote

Yes, it has been known to happen.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 6:57:28 AM EDT
[#16]
While this tool can be useful, I use only solvent.
I soak the entire bolt carrier in Ford Motorcradt carburetor cleaner. Have been using the same $5.49 can for right at five years.
The solvent dissolves the carbine to the point a paper towel is all that is needed to remove the remaining debris. Follow up with a
rinse with isopropyl alcohol then clp.

Link Posted: 6/17/2015 9:25:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For clarity, the pitting is a result of rust.

The rust can occur when the carbon deposit holds moisture in the concentrated deposit area.

If you displace said moisture with oil, it will not bean issue.

Wes
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 3:48:55 PM EDT
[#18]
My go to carbon scraper. I use the CAT M4 when I'm away from home.

Link Posted: 7/9/2015 9:11:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

had taken a few years (about 10) but it does happen.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 9:58:36 AM EDT
[#20]
regular old chamber brush works well.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top