Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2015 8:40:26 PM EDT
if i were to liberally apply lube to the exterior and interior of my upper and lower receiver and let it soak for a few hours and wipe off the excess is it beneficial for conditioning the metal for corrosion resistance or am i just wasting lubricant?
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 9:15:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm no expert but in my AR I put a coat of oil on the inside wipe the excess lube my BCG and call it a day. I would think leaveing it soak wouldn't make to much of a difference. on the exterior i just put a decent amount and wipe. on my blued pistols i just oil the exterior often
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 7:48:26 AM EDT
[#2]
That would be a waste of lube, and I used to do it for some reason.    The exterior of the upper/lower gain no benefit from being covered in lube.   Corrosion should not be an issue on the aluminum receivers.   The steel parts on the gun usually get a light coat of lube for storage.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 7:58:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
if i were to liberally apply lube to the exterior and interior of my upper and lower receiver and let it soak for a few hours and wipe off the excess is it beneficial for conditioning the metal for corrosion resistance or am i just wasting lubricant?
View Quote

Jamesdean12345,

If moisture is a problem in your hood then I would do the same in your case as well. Is your rifles finish parkerized? If it is then you can oil the rifle until the parkerizing soaks up all the oil and holds it  to become a barrier for corrosion/rust. That's how parkerizing works on tools. I would also do the same for your bore if it's not chromed.

Impala
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 2:52:24 PM EDT
[#4]
That would be a waste of lube

Apply with an oil soaked patch.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 11:16:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That would be a waste of lube, and I used to do it for some reason.    The exterior of the upper/lower gain no benefit from being covered in lube.   Corrosion should not be an issue on the aluminum receivers.   The steel parts on the gun usually get a light coat of lube for storage.
View Quote

It's not so much the receivers as it is every piece of steel on an AR. Here in FL I have to wipe my duty weapon down (the exterior) at least twice on month or rust will begin forming. It's actually a big pain in my ass because I get in and out of a vehicle multiple times a day and the condensation takes its toll.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 11:39:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
That would be a waste of lube

Apply with an oil soaked patch.
View Quote

This

I live on the gulf coast, where it can get very humid, and nothing on my ar has rusted
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 11:14:31 PM EDT
[#7]
my rifle is anodized and the barrel and bolt carrier are QPQ. note to self, conserve lube for SHTF haha
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 1:23:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Would make it look nice and shiny it couldn't hurt but soaking and letting or sit sounds a little overkill.  I wipe an oil patch over mine from time to time after cleaning before storage.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 3:54:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Absolutely zero amount of oil will "soak" into anodized aluminum or nitrided steel. Your proposed exercise will just make a big mess and waste oil and cleaning supplies.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 7:27:02 AM EDT
[#10]
When I am not shooting my AR's or handguns I give the actions and bores a few shots of Break Free CLP  as a preservative until the next time I plan on going to the range.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 4:01:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
When I am not shooting my AR's or handguns I give the actions and bores a few shots of Break Free CLP  as a preservative until the next time I plan on going to the range.
View Quote

Do your firearms have non-corrosion protected bare steel bores?  Otherwise you're just making a big mess and introducing a huge amount of fouling.  I would never do what you describe to any gas operated firearm.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 1:32:28 AM EDT
[#12]
I think I'm the most minimalist oiler here on the forum I just put some Mobil 1 on my finger and swipe the BCG rails, cam pin, bolt lugs and rings.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top