Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/28/2015 7:24:09 PM EDT
for those of whom who have used it, do you like it? is there anything that is left to be desired from it? are there any issues you've noticed with it? I am currently running MIL-COMM and it seems to be okay but i always see reports of how well fireclean keeps the gun slick during fire so i'm curious to see if its worth trying
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:35:37 PM EDT
[#1]
It's great for suppressor use.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:38:45 PM EDT
[#2]
FireClean is unicorn tears. It's in its own realm. I could get a free lifetime supply offered to me from their closest competitor, and still opt to pay for FireClean instead.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:40:42 PM EDT
[#3]
It is really good as a lube, but not so much a cleaner.
BreakFree CLP is a better cleaner than the FireClean, but it is a lot easier to clean the carbon build up off after you applied FC.

I had shot about 2,200rds of 5.56 brass ammo with no cleaning, no additional oil, no maintenance whatsoever with no failure after I applied FC before I started shooting.
My friend shot a bit over 3,000rds(he told me 2400rds were Wolf and SilverBear) with no failure and no maintenance with no issues after applying FC before he started shooting.
FC proves itself to be a very good lubricate, and I will keep using FC in my AR
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:45:56 PM EDT
[#4]
what other cleaners can i use with fireclean? when i was watching their videos they say to strip off all other lubricants and cl.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:07:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I use a CLP for cleaning purposes as someone stated above but for final lubrication it's all FireClean.  It's so easy to clean your guns after applying this stuff.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:45:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's great for suppressor use.
View Quote

/\ this

it is good stuff
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:47:17 PM EDT
[#7]
It is just ok imo. I found slip 2000 carbon killer to be a far superior product in my suppressors and bolt assemblies.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:46:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Slip 2000 makes it easy to clean, have not tried fireclean but if its anything like slip it makes clp look stupid.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 7:23:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 7:23:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 7:43:19 AM EDT
[#11]
use on ar and 1911, works great no hicups and cleans easy.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 7:53:18 AM EDT
[#12]
It works very well on guns that see alot of use. However, I made the mistake of applying it to a couple of pistols and rifles that I only bring out of the safe about every 4-6 months. The oil had turned into a very sticky substance. I completely removed the fireclean and applied slip 2k to those.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:57:33 PM EDT
[#13]
okay everybody I went with slip 2000 EWL, the price for a 4oz bottle was that of a 2oz fireclean and I have seen very nice reports about slip 2000 so hopefully it works out well
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 6:56:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It works very well on guns that see alot of use. However, I made the mistake of applying it to a couple of pistols and rifles that I only bring out of the safe about every 4-6 months. The oil had turned into a very sticky substance. I completely removed the fireclean and applied slip 2k to those.
View Quote

Are you referring to Fireclean or 2000?
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 8:08:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I am referring to Fireclean. Be careful applying it to guns that may not see frequent use. In my case, every pistol and rifle that doesnt see much use got very sticky with a thick consistency. I believe Larry Vickers has said the same thing on applying to weapons that dont see much use.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 8:09:17 PM EDT
[#16]
I think hes referring to fireclean that gets tacky over prolonged storage
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 6:04:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Rand CLP did the same for me.

I'm trying fireclean now. So far I'm not impressed. Its not a very good cleaner and i dont have lubrication related malfunctions anyway.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 1:55:10 PM EDT
[#18]
well after all of the replies I went ahead and ordered some slip 2000 EWL and I took two of my rifles out to the range, one using the mil-comm I already had and my other rifle was using slip 2000. I must note that both lubricants worked well but honestly slip APPEARED to keep its lubricity better, mil-comm looked like it had begun to dry a bit. but the real difference between both is when i stripped down my rifles and the rifle with slip wiped down much better and carbon came off easier wheras the mil-comm rifle had some more baked on carbon and took a bit of scrubbing to get clean. all in all thank you everyone for your suggestions!
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 8:54:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'm trying fireclean now. So far I'm not impressed. Its not a very good cleaner and i dont have lubrication related malfunctions anyway.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same results with both for me. I'm using Mil-comm products right now but I prefer G96 for a do-all type product.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 7:51:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Have found Fireclean to be a remarkable lubricant in the suppressed weapons that I shoot often (more than once per month). I still use a different cleaner, though.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 2:27:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Fireclean claims to have no cancer causing ingredients in it, yet Fireclean is the only gun lube without an MSDS sheet. Plus when asked what's in Fireclean, they not only don't answer the question, but they will actually erase your question and then block you on Fireclean's Facebook page, plus any other users that questions why they do that.

What's up with that? Every other gun lube company are open with what their lube is made of and all have MSDS sheets. I know Larry Vickers recommends them. and he is a quality guy with alot of credibility to me, which leaves me even more puzzled about this.

eventually someone from FIRECLEAN directed me MSDS sheet found on Brownells:
http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/MSDS/100-011-426_FIRECLEAN%20ANTI-FOULING%20CONDITIONING%20OIL,%202%20OZ.%20-%20C67_default.pdf

but their "MSDS" sheet only says Fireclean is a liquid and has a flash point of 250 degrees.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 10:59:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Your Google skills are weak.

Here is the patent application for Fireclean.

Fireclean Patent
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 8:30:08 AM EDT
[#23]
I have used CLP,  Ballistol, Frog Lube and FireClean and a bunch of others over the years.  The problem now is remembering which is lubed with what product.  I have experienced the gunkiness issue on some of my guns that do not see a lot of use.  I had a couple blued and parkerized guns that sat in a safe for 8 years only sprayed down with CLP that stayed pristine.
To make my life easier, I think I am going to mix up a batch of Ed's Red lube and cleaner using synthetic oil and ATF and call it good.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 3:56:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
FireClean is unicorn tears. It's in its own realm. I could get a free lifetime supply offered to me from their closest competitor, and still opt to pay for FireClean instead.
View Quote

While I was a huge fan of Fireclean...I can't help but wonder if it's not just Crisco. The patent data, the spectrum analysis, the burn-off temp, the cold-weather pour temps, they are all the same, except FC costs me $7oz and Canola Oil and Vegetable Oil, I could buy a gallon for $7. Did a little burn-off test myself. It was interesting...

FireClean vs. Crisco
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 3:59:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Slip 2000 makes Fireclean look stupid.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 8:48:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Slip 2000 makes Fireclean look stupid.
View Quote

and Synthetic Royal Purple make them both look stupid.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 12:35:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

While I was a huge fan of Fireclean...I can't help but wonder if it's not just Crisco. The patent data, the spectrum analysis, the burn-off temp, the cold-weather pour temps, they are all the same, except FC costs me $7oz and Canola Oil and Vegetable Oil, I could buy a gallon for $7. Did a little burn-off test myself. It was interesting...

FireClean vs. Crisco
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FireClean vs. Crisco

Link to spectrum analysis test?  
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 8:32:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

FireClean vs. Crisco
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FireClean vs. Crisco

Thanks for posting that - it was very telling.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 10:38:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FireClean vs. Crisco

Not published.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 12:20:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Basically Wesson Oil with some Pam added

Weapon Shield vs FireClean

Link Posted: 7/24/2015 12:21:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Basically Wesson Oil with some Pam added

Check out George Fennel and his You tube videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abBKYE8lP7o
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 8:02:16 PM EDT
[#32]
I was a big time Fireclean convert. After moving and not being able to shoot very often.... I am switching to something else.

In about a month the Fireclean on my rifles has changed to a dark color, and it is now very thick and tacky. It feels like old cooking oil that you leave out and it gets thick.

After watching some videos.... It was brought to my attention the bottle says use within a year? Sounds like Crisco, acts like Crisco, Smells like Crisco..... I'm sure there might be other additives but I am over the hype.

Now to sell my unopened bottles.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 7:24:56 AM EDT
[#33]
After watching several Weapon Shield videos, I'd be more interested if he actually did some live fire shooting instead of using one machine that inevitably demonstrates the superiority of his product over Brand X.  

Like in the WS vs Froglube video- Heat in the bolt carrier causes expansion and stoppages?  
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:32:33 AM EDT
[#34]
I will say this about FIREClean. I have multiple weapons lubed with it, some of which have not been shot in 1+ years. None have "varnished" or "gummed" like Froglube or Rand CLP did. I do believe that FIREClean has a make-up of vegetable oil, but there has to be SOMETHING else in it. Then others say it has gummed up on them. Run what works for you, is my .02.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:56:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I will say this about FIREClean. I have multiple weapons lubed with it, some of which have not been shot in 1+ years. None have "varnished" or "gummed" like Froglube or Rand CLP did. I do believe that FIREClean has a make-up of vegetable oil, but there has to be SOMETHING else in it. Then others say it has gummed up on them. Run what works for you, is my .02.
View Quote

I don't think anyone is saying that FireClean doesn't work, it's just that paying $7/ 2 oz is a bit steep for what is in essence, vegetable oil.

It seems to "condition" much like how I season my carbon steel wok.  

If you read the patent app, they do seem to rely on Oleic Acid as being the key ingredient.  This is the same ingredient in Ballistol, which is also rather inexpensive.

I'm going to try the Royal Purple I've heard about.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 11:46:27 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

FireClean vs. Crisco
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FireClean vs. Crisco

Link Posted: 9/14/2015 11:17:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FireClean vs. Crisco

Accurate quote, but also note that Froglube burns off similarly, so I sought further testing, as well as hearing from people I trust that Crisco does not = Fireclean. So, I dug deeper. I discovered that I could not even forcibly mix the two liquids. Thus, with more knowledge, I retracted my statement. Unlike some, I am quite comfortable admitting when I am wrong or have been mislead by my own devices. I try to look for facts, and then I adjust my beliefs so that they are thusly supported.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 9:05:27 PM EDT
[#38]
I put 4000 rounds through my 240L when I was a gunner in one day and only put about 10 drops on it that entire day.  I used FIREClean on that same 240L for multiple live fires (Platoon and Company) and never had a single malfunction with live rounds (thats all I shot through it...no blanks).  Cleaning was a chore for the other guys running transmission fluid.  My gun could be wiped down with a rag for about 90% of it with a light scraper tool for the other 10%, usually the gas cup and piston.  I run it exclusively on my M4 now and since suppressors are what we're running almost constantly these days, FIREClean is essential at keeping the gun running after shooting a bit.  This stuff is great and anybody that bashes it really hasnt tested it for what it can do.  Try shooting 1200 rounds of 7.62 through a 240L at a rapid rate of fire with frog lube or Slip.  It wont happen without a bicep workout.  
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:56:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Slip 2000 claims that with EWL, up to 2,000 rounds can be fired before scrubbing is necessary.

Look, FireClean is by no means an inferior product.  But it's not the absolute best thing out there in every way, either.  There are upper tier products (Weapon Shield, Slip 2000 EWL, FireClean, FrogLube), and then there are "meh" products (Break-Free CLP, etc....)

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:10:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I put 4000 rounds through my 240L when I was a gunner in one day and only put about 10 drops on it that entire day.  I used FIREClean on that same 240L for multiple live fires (Platoon and Company) and never had a single malfunction with live rounds (thats all I shot through it...no blanks).  Cleaning was a chore for the other guys running transmission fluid.  My gun could be wiped down with a rag for about 90% of it with a light scraper tool for the other 10%, usually the gas cup and piston.  I run it exclusively on my M4 now and since suppressors are what we're running almost constantly these days, FIREClean is essential at keeping the gun running after shooting a bit.  This stuff is great and anybody that bashes it really hasnt tested it for what it can do.  Try shooting 1200 rounds of 7.62 through a 240L at a rapid rate of fire with frog lube or Slip.  It wont happen without a bicep workout.  
View Quote

First post- Check
Correct capitalization on Fireclean- Check
Combat story- Check
Nothing is as good as- Check

You either work for them or are just a paid shill
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 2:14:08 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
for those of whom who have used it, do you like it? is there anything that is left to be desired from it? are there any issues you've noticed with it? I am currently running MIL-COMM and it seems to be okay but i always see reports of how well fireclean keeps the gun slick during fire so i'm curious to see if its worth trying
View Quote

Been playing with it more. It definitely curbs corrosion better than Rapeseed/Canola oil. Still working well on my weapons. The spectrum analysis data looks skewed from Tuohy. Going to have to say it seems more like a "hitpiece" than real science, and Fireclean still is doing well for me.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 2:18:51 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

First post- Check
Combat story- Check

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

First post- Check
Combat story- Check

Or maybe they stumbled across this thread on a Google search. I've joined forums like that before. This site is absurd in how "everyone works for someone". So far...

I work for a shit ton of companies according to this place, but I don't think it would hold up on my background check if I put all of them on a resume, lol!
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 9:21:31 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Or maybe they stumbled across this thread on a Google search. I've joined forums like that before. This site is absurd in how "everyone works for someone". So far...

I work for a shit ton of companies according to this place, but I don't think it would hold up on my background check if I put all of them on a resume, lol!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

First post- Check
Combat story- Check

No, I've read your stuff and it reads nothing like his post. I'm not buying it but whatev.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 9:54:30 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Reading this thread now just makes me giggle a bit at the people burning money to squirt Crisco in their guns...

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/09/13/yes-its-true-fireclean-is-crisco/
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 11:15:53 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Maybe it has something to do with the humidity (not sure if AR is less than here) because I've had the opposite results. When I tried it, my guns sat for about a month. When I broke them down they were very sticky/gummy. That's why I don't use it. When firing it does work as advertised but I just don't shoot my weapons enough and I don't want to deal with a gummy mess when I do.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 1:54:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Maybe it mixed with another lube that was already there?
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 2:17:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Maybe it mixed with another lube that was already there?
View Quote

Definitely not. I cleaned with Milcomm MC25 then did an alcohol wipe down. I even shot with it, cleaned with FC and reapplied FC. It was a gummy mess after about 3 weeks in both my daily carry gun and my rifles put up in the closet.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 3:28:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Well that rules out me trying both FrogLube and FireClean.  Weapon Shield still has my interest, though.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 6:41:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

No, I've read your stuff and it reads nothing like his post. I'm not buying it but whatev.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

First post- Check
Combat story- Check

I'm just reserving judgement. I've never known the fireclean brothers to shill. Honestly, I feel like they suck at PR too much to shill. Deep down they really are good guys, I think, but PR just isn't their thing and they have the sense to stay off the forums because of it, imo. I have nkt seen PR handled so...awkwardly ever before regarding this latest canola is fireclean thing. I love their product and feel thay it's being dragged through the dirt by people who know better, and it's being parroted  by those who dont, hence why I got so vocal over it. I like the product in spite of clashing hard with them initiwlly. It is almost as hard core as if I suddenly switched all of my mounts to larue. Thats about how hard we've clashed initially.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 6:51:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Maybe it has something to do with the humidity (not sure if AR is less than here) because I've had the opposite results. When I tried it, my guns sat for about a month. When I broke them down they were very sticky/gummy. That's why I don't use it. When firing it does work as advertised but I just don't shoot my weapons enough and I don't want to deal with a gummy mess when I do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I actually just got back from a hunting trip. The weather was 40-50*F, and rainy. I spent around 20 hours outside, over the course of 3 days or so, and did not clean my weapon the entire time. I first went outside on Thanksgiving, and got around to cleaning my weapon Sunday night. It was directly rained on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday morning as I sat in the stand.

It was fired 1 time at a deer, and about 50 times by kids who had never shot a suppressed rifle (on Saturday night).

It was constantly in and out of the house (75*F or so), so condensation I am sure happened.

When I did take it down to clean it, I did not note anything untoward. Now, this is far shy of your month-ish, but it is an observation of how it does over a weekend getting rained on.

As a side note, certain things that did not have lube on them, got rusted. The outside of the forward assist, the bolts on my DDM4 Lite rail. The bolts on the underside of my X300U. The outside of my barrel. The QD swivels on my sling (no...no...not the one in the EE! lol). And oddly, the outside edge of the QPQ'ed cam-pin's "hat" which was worn shiny, and I presume no lube was left on after it was shot that saturday night. So I KNOW it got humid INSIDE that weapon.

Anyway, it functioned great and was not sticky or goopy when I took it down in any way.

As to you mixing lubes, I have found that some lubes DO NOT come off with Alcohol. Lucas Extreme Gun Oil is literally immune to it. Also, even just a small amount of lube will cause issues if it mixes with the Fireclean. I will typically wipe my suppressor off with whatever CLP I am using. Well, when I tested out Lucas, I did. Then, when I went back to Fireclean, I had shot the gun 100+ times, and wiped the suppressor off with a paper towel, and thought it was dry/no lube on it. When I added Fireclean, it made my suppressor feel like a post-it-note in short order. Bio-based products really are pretty darn sensitive to petroleum based products in my experience. It's not going to stop your weapon in a firefight or something, but it is something to be aware of for typical use. Yes, I wish it were not so, but I have yet to find anything that performs half as well as fireclean. I can clean my rifle with a paper towel, and it doesn't spray everywhere because it does best with some ridiculous small/thin amounts.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top