Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/27/2015 7:56:52 PM EDT
I bought my son a S&W 15 sport.  We put 120rds through it.  I stripped it down cleaned it.  When i oil the bcg it seems to evaporate  a minute after i lube it
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 8:00:58 PM EDT
[#1]
What lube are you using ?
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 8:09:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Rem oil
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 8:19:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Rem oil
View Quote

theres your problem. remoil is known to dry quick because the fluid part of it is just a carrier for the teflon in it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 8:35:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

theres your problem. remoil is known to dry quick because the fluid part of it is just a carrier for the teflon in it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Rem oil

This..you need a higher quality oil. Preferably before you shoot it again.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 8:38:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I use fully synthetic 5w-30.

Half-full former pickle jar, dunk the BCG in, wait till it's not dripping much anymore, toss it in the receiver and go.  the oil gets to where it needs to go.  no cycling problems over several (6-7) rifles and thousands of rounds.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 8:40:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Go get you some break free CLP in a bottle.

Best CLP there is.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 8:51:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Go get you some break free CLP in a bottle.

Best CLP there is.
View Quote

Yep that's about all i will use.  I have been using some Spike's Spydy lube and it's done a good job so far, but I have used CLP for longer and it's never let me down.

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:02:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Do yourself a favor and ditch the Rem-Oil  .

I've done some half - assed testing of various lubes in the back yard . Just single drops on an steel plate .   Wanted to see for myself which oils lasted the longest when just left to the weather .

Rem Oil was the hands down worst for staying power.  A light sprinkle of rain caused it to totally wash away .

Olive oil would probably do a better job of lubrication.

gd
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:21:52 PM EDT
[#9]
rem oil is junk like everyone is saying. my buddy toasted his gas rings that were liberally lubed with rem oil on his brand new stag after the very first 6 shots with last weekend. i would say 90% of the rem oil was evaporated after those 6 shots. I've never seen anything like that before.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:25:21 PM EDT
[#10]
I used Slip 2000 for roughly 5 years and never had an issue with any of my rifles that weren't ammo or mag related. I've been using Fire Clean for the past two and it seems to do a better job at keeping the carbon from sticking and just wipes right off.

ETA: Prior to using those two brands, I was using BreakFree CLP and Tetra Gun Oil but, ended up switching cause I was given samples of each (Slip 2K and Fire Clean) and they both seemed to stay on the BCG longer than the stuff I used to use.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:37:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I use CLP or Slip2000 for most AR internals. Tetra grease on the small springs and detents when building or happen to have something apart for some reason.

I use Lubriplate from Brownells for inside the buffer tube. Doesn't run, lubes well. I also use this stuff for all my AK's as the main lube. Great stuff.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:55:28 PM EDT
[#12]
50/50    Mobil 1 -  break free CLP
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 11:06:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I've been using a 50/50 mix of CLP and 5W20 full synthetic motor oil, and a 50/50 mix of the older LSA weapons oil and the synthetic motor oil.  Both seem to work very well.  I have always been a "run em' wet guy" when it comes to my AR's.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:19:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Currently I use XF-7 grease and Slip 2000 EWL.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:34:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:50:56 PM EDT
[#16]
I think Rem Oil is actually pretty good for certain things like small pins, trigger groups etc because it's thin and gets into tight places then the carrier evaporates leaving the teflon to do its job.  It also doesn't attract a lot of dust and grit once dried - but fully agree that it's nowhere near viscous enough for an AR bolt carrier group.  If you don't have something else I would and have used motor oil or ATF until you can get a more suitable CLP type oil.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 9:50:14 AM EDT
[#17]
I use Rem Oil all the time and although it's alight weight oil it always runs fine in my BCG's.

Impala
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 11:58:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Royal Purple 10w-30 synthetic.
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 6:34:23 PM EDT
[#19]
+1 for Synthetic Mobile1 10W-30
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 7:46:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Lube Mobil1 Synthetic Grease on sliding bearing surfaces and Mobil1 synthetic 10w-30 for most everthing else. For clean up use a good clp.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 10:03:36 PM EDT
[#21]
I guess Im the oddball......Been usung synthetic wheel bearing grease on mine without issue....not a lot...just enough to put a shiney film on it.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 12:53:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
+1 for Synthetic Mobile1 10W-30
View Quote

+2. I just wipe it on the bolt rings and ridge, lugs, bcg rails, cam pin, VERY light coating on CH, and in it goes. No need to slather it all over. A little synthetic 10w30 goes a LONG way. As soon as you shoot, it will work it's way into everything.
ETA: that's for lubing. For cleaning, I use proper cleaners. CLP's are best at nothing, they are a compromise that does both acceptably (but not great). CLP's are great in the field, so you don't have to carry both types, but you can do better for home/range use. I prefer a proper cleaner, then a proper lube (such as Mobile 1 10w30.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 1:10:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Fireclean and Slip 2000 are much better in guns than Mobil 1.  Gun oils for guns, motor oils for motors.  5.56 for ARs, not for AKs.....
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 8:46:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Fireclean and Slip 2000 are much better in guns than Mobil 1.  Gun oils for guns, motor oils for motors.  5.56 for ARs, not for AKs.....
View Quote

I disagree, having use all of the above I find Royal Purple 10w-30 performs on part with both fireclean and slip 2000 and is a fraction of the price.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 11:39:39 AM EDT
[#25]
rem oil is fine if your going to use the gun that day.

try a syn motor oil.

then you have an industry of full snake oils (gun oils) to try.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 2:52:46 PM EDT
[#26]
For cleaning - Breakfree CLP

For lube - Synthetic motor oil.  Many like Mobil 1 5w30.  I go one step more and use full synthetic turbodiesel formulated oil:  Shell Rotella T6 5w40.

This is the same oil most of us run in highly modified high boost turbocharged direct injection racing engines.  They run super rich air to fuel ratios and have extremely high carbon content in the combustion chamber, baking the carbon on the top of pistons amd valves and tend to contaminate the oil with fuel.   AR15's direct impingement gas system has a similar dirty, high carbon environment.   This synthetic oil and detergent formulation works well for both tasks.   It's about the same price as Mobil 1, about $6 per quart.  It will really reduce carbon build up on your bolt.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 2:54:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Double tap.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top