Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/26/2015 10:31:28 PM EDT
I just used my new Geissele roll pin starter tonight after installing my new Criterion barrel. The whole operation took about 1 minute to correctly install the pin. No stress at all. Great precision product.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 12:16:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't have Geissele roll pin starters, but I do have generic roll pin punches.
It can be done without them, but having the right tools does make the job a lot less stressful.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 8:43:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I just used my new Geissele roll pin starter tonight after installing my new Criterion barrel. The whole operation took about 1 minute to correctly install the pin. No stress at all. Great precision product.
View Quote

Checking Geissele's website, that tool is labeled a Gas Block Roll Pin Tool. So, it is made only for 5/64" roll pins; which on an AR, the gas block / front sight base is the only item using this size roll pin.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 5:43:16 PM EDT
[#3]
The correct tools make it easy.
The Kitchen Table Gun Plumbers Union would frown on this, however.
If the ol' lady doesn't have it in the kitchen junk drawer, you don't need it.

Link Posted: 5/30/2015 5:30:44 PM EDT
[#4]
It's a good tool.  For those on a budget or not wanting to wait for shipping a short piece of brass tube and a slightly longer piece of spring steel rod available at most hardware stores works pretty well.  The brass tube should have an ID slightly larger than the roll pin you want to start and the steel rod should fit in the brass tube.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 9:10:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The correct tools make it easy.
The Kitchen Table Gun Plumbers Union would frown on this, however.
If the ol' lady doesn't have it in the kitchen junk drawer, you don't need it.

View Quote

Speaking of which, my multitool and my small brass gunsmith hammer has worked fine for many builds so far
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 9:12:32 PM EDT
[#6]
this - much cheaper.

Link Posted: 6/1/2015 11:21:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
this - much cheaper.

View Quote

That's the kit I use.  It's been good so far...
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 3:59:55 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought and recently used these

$17 + free shipping
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 1:46:01 AM EDT
[#9]
First time assembling an AR, I bought these:

http://www.squirreldaddy.com/Hollow-End-Starter-punch-p/sd20-206.htm

and they made the Wheeler roll pin punch set I bought at the same time look like a pile of crooked toys.  I have a garage full of tools and the Wheeler punches are the ugliest pos I actually paid money for.  Already looking for their replacements.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 11:55:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Small hemostat. Been using them for years with no issue. It allows one to check proper alignment before one realizes the pin was going in crooked.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 8:00:42 AM EDT
[#11]
ebay has generic ones on the cheap. they are helpful for those little pins. the one I bought is double sided for two size pins with an outside diameter of .223 so you can slip a shell casing over it to protect it from hammer blows. i think it was around $5.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 2:13:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I just use a piece of 1/4" brass stock and drill the end to the size of roll pin needed.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 8:14:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I just use a piece of 1/4" brass stock and drill the end to the size of roll pin needed.
View Quote

I did exactly this but used a pc of Type 1 PVC rod.  I even drilled out the opposite side to hold my roll pin punches.  It's like a long punch so I don't have to worry about hitting the reciever with the hammer.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 10:36:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
this - much cheaper.

View Quote

Thats the kit i bought 25~30 builds ago they are pretty beat up now idk if i got a bad set or if the steel is just soft in them.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 1:52:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
this - much cheaper.

Me too, works well for me
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:08:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Checking Geissele's website, that tool is labeled a Gas Block Roll Pin Tool. So, it is made only for 5/64" roll pins; which on an AR, the gas block / front sight base is the only item using this size roll pin.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The charging handle latch pin is also 5/64x5/16.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 1:23:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Or.... you could simply use roll pin punches and run scotch tape around both the punch and pin.
Sometimes unique tools are just.... well..... silly
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 8:14:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 1:12:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Can anyone tell me the roll pin sizes for the bolt catch and forward assist?
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 1:42:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Can anyone tell me the roll pin sizes for the bolt catch and forward assist?
View Quote

Another option for the bolt catch is .094 x .438.  Sometimes the .500 length is just a tad too long on some lowers.

There is a seller on Ebay that sells the stainless coiled roll pins cheap.  The coiled roll pins are so much easier to install.  

Trigger guard - .125 x .625
Bolt catch - .094 x .500
Forward assist - .094 x .625
Gas tube - 5/64 x 5/16
Front sight swivel - 1/8 x 7/16
Gas block/ CH latch - 5/64 x 5/16
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 1:43:13 PM EDT
[#21]
I grab a roll pin about 1/4" from the starting end with a pair of needle nosed pliers and pinch the heck out of it before tapping it with a small hammer to get it started.  Once it's started I use a regular roll pin punch of (hopefully) the correct size vs. the pin.  Seems squeezing that starting end makes it start easier.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 5:06:34 PM EDT
[#22]
430 channel locks with a bit of tape make trigger guard pins and bolt catch pins stupid simple.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top