Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2015 11:09:08 PM EDT
I'm giving some thought to trying this. I know, I know, I'm late to the dance. But I have a concern that maybe you can help me with. I was taught to run my AR "wet" and have followed that practice for years. When I read the FL instructions and watch YT vids once the FL is applied and you wipe it down thats it?? I understand the stuff is slick but I just can't seem to get by what looks like a dry bolt. Am I missing something?
Thanks, SC
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:16:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Froglube goes in the trashcan

Ive seen it jack up ar's, 1911's, ak's, 10/22's, you name it.

Get some slip2000, or synthetic motor oil
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:26:41 PM EDT
[#2]
What problems were you having with your original wet lube technique?
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 12:10:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

This man... needs to be heard.

Slip2000  all day every day
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 12:39:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm  a big fan or the original  clp
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 3:00:07 AM EDT
[#5]
I have been using FL for a while now on all of my firearms and the only regret I have is not using it sooner.  I was apprehensive at first however, once you see how it works it will make sense.  FWIW I too also always ran my AR wet until I switched to FL and now I have no need too.  I will still at times use a drop or two on the bolt if I am going to be running a lot of rounds out of my AR. ETA spelling.  I hope this helps.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 3:00:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep.

Mobil 1 or original CLP.

Stay away from the snake oil.

True story.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 4:52:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have been using FL for a while now on all of my firearms and the only regret I have is not using it sooner.  I was apprehensive at first however, once you see how it works it will make sense.  FWIW I too also always ran my AR wet until I switched to FL and now I have no need too.  I will still at times use a drop or two on the bolt if I am going to be running a lot of rounds out of my AR. ETA spelling.  I hope this helps.
View Quote

What have you compared it to?

Literally everyone who shoots for a living recommends something else

Why would you use a lube that requires you to disassemble your firearm, completely wipe off every part, then gently heat up, then apply the solution, then wait? Wtf?

Compared to clp, rem oil, slip2k, motor oil, fireclean, tw25b, g96, and dozens of others that give you equal or superior performance, and doesn't have the side effect of turning your gun into a brick

Ive tried Froglube, and the only thing i don't understand about it is how people still buy that scam
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 4:56:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Why would you use a lube that requires you to disassemble your firearm, completely wipe off every part, then gently heat up, then apply the solution, then wait? Wtf?

Compared to clp, rem oil, slip2k, motor oil, fireclean, tw25b, g96, and dozens of others that give you equal or superior performance, and doesn't have the side effect of turning your gun into a brick

Ive tried Froglube, and the only thing i don't understand about it is how people still buy that scam
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Remember the MILITEC craze?
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 5:02:06 AM EDT
[#9]
http://www.slip2000.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=S&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=60372
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 5:08:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ive heard about it, but otherwise no
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 5:13:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Heat up the metal... apply.

Heat up the metal again and apply.

Then you should have a slick surface that will last under all types of extreme conditions.

I still have a couple of bottles laying around here somewhere.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 1:05:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Clean gun
heat up gun and parts
apply frog lube
allow to cool
wipe excess away

The metal expands when heated allowing the frog lube to penetrate the parts. The lube is literal in the metal now. So when the gun starts to function the lube is escaping on to the parts and lubricating. The problem is when people leave to much of the stuff on the gun and then sit it in the safe to be shot once a year.

This is my common sense theory I have developed on frog lube. People that dont like it seem to think its snake on and relay on mostly old methods. They tell stories of how it gums up guns. I am more of a visual man show me a picture of this. I guarantee a picture if it exists would show an improperly frog lubed gun as in a gun with way to much frog lube on it and further more it probably hasnt been shot in a year.

I dont know any of this as fact I dont even use frog lube I use Seal one which is very similar. I am just theorizing based on common sense, facts and the so called stories. Its very easy to come to this conclusion when you put what little information you have together.

To answer you original question though. Heat up the gun part and put frog lube on the it. allow it to cool and wipe it away. I like to leave a little thin layer of Seal one again its pretty much the same stuff. Now heat the part back up and feel it get slick again.

These "knuckle heads" claiming motor oil works are the worst. Yes motor oil does work and it works well if you keep re applying it every few magazines. I work on cars and I know how capable motor oil is. The thing is though all cars have an oil pump to cycle that oil from the pan up to the top of the motor to keep everything wet. Oil doesnt stick to parts, gravity takes hold and pulls it down so it runs off the parts. I am not saying motor oil doesnt work. I am just saying it doesnt hold on to the gun parts enough to maintain its effectiveness.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:18:01 AM EDT
[#13]
i threw the froglube away. if not applied properly it gums up bad.

M-Pro7 is my go too
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:36:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Clean gun
heat up gun and parts
apply frog lube
allow to cool
wipe excess away

The metal expands when heated allowing the frog lube to penetrate the parts. The lube is literal in the metal now. So when the gun starts to function the lube is escaping on to the parts and lubricating. The problem is when people leave to much of the stuff on the gun and then sit it in the safe to be shot once a year.

This is my common sense theory I have developed on frog lube. People that dont like it seem to think its snake on and relay on mostly old methods. They tell stories of how it gums up guns. I am more of a visual man show me a picture of this. I guarantee a picture if it exists would show an improperly frog lubed gun as in a gun with way to much frog lube on it and further more it probably hasnt been shot in a year.

I dont know any of this as fact I dont even use frog lube I use Seal one which is very similar. I am just theorizing based on common sense, facts and the so called stories. Its very easy to come to this conclusion when you put what little information you have together.

To answer you original question though. Heat up the gun part and put frog lube on the it. allow it to cool and wipe it away. I like to leave a little thin layer of Seal one again its pretty much the same stuff. Now heat the part back up and feel it get slick again.

These "knuckle heads" claiming motor oil works are the worst. Yes motor oil does work and it works well if you keep re applying it every few magazines. I work on cars and I know how capable motor oil is. The thing is though all cars have an oil pump to cycle that oil from the pan up to the top of the motor to keep everything wet. Oil doesnt stick to parts, gravity takes hold and pulls it down so it runs off the parts. I am not saying motor oil doesnt work. I am just saying it doesnt hold on to the gun parts enough to maintain its effectiveness.
View Quote

If by "every couple of magazines" you mean "every 1000+ rounds" you are correct

Why on earth would i want to go through the trouble of properly applying Froglube when i can just put some motor oil or clp or slip 2000?
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:02:54 PM EDT
[#15]
All I use now is Froglube, ive used slip, motor oil, mpro and others and i prefer froglube over them, except maybe Fireclean. applying froglube is just as much work as cleaning the rifle anyways so why not take the little bit of effort.   and it smells minty fresh.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:51:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

+100 on this!

I have tried almost all of them in the last 40 years and M-Pro7 LPX is the best I have ever used.

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top