Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/13/2015 9:13:37 PM EDT
After being given a can of this stuff at work for our Lubing purposes, and being told that this stuff is a 10 times better than WD40. Me being a gun guy thought well this sounds pretty good for guns. anybody use this stuff or have an experience with LPS-1 or other dry film lubes. or is this bad for guns or why don't people use dry lubes on guns logically it sounds like a good idea.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 4:43:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I only use WD40 as a gunk remover and first pass at hand cleaning.   I buy it by the gallon.  WD-40 is NOT a good lubricant.  It's a water displacing, steel surface rust preventative that dries to a thin film.  Originally intended to keep thin sheet steel rocket bodies from rusting without having to paint them.  

I have LPS 1, 2, 3, and electrical contact cleaner on the shelf.  Each has its use.  Not sure it's rated for the temperatures you might see in various places in a firearm.  I don't use it there.  LPS3 was intended to be a thick. waxy surface film protectant for steel exposed to the elements.  I use it for bicycle chain lube.  

One advantage of the LPS products is that they are NSF approved for use on food handling equipment.  Inert, not poisonous iirc.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 8:46:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Spikes sells a buffer tube that has a Dry film lube on it is it similar to LPS-1 or something else entirely and does it make a big difference. Does anyone apply anything on the buffer tube to make it more smoother when collapsing it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 8:51:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Spikes sells a buffer tube that has a Dry film lube on it is it similar to LPS-1 or something else entirely and does it make a big difference. Does anyone apply anything on the buffer tube to make it more smoother when collapsing it.
View Quote

How much smoother do you need it?  
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top