Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2015 10:27:42 AM EDT
So I like to clean my guns after every range trip regardless of ammo count.

After bending those brass rods that I first used I bought an Otis kit for both calibers I use.  Much better with the cables.

However I am never satisfied with how the actual chamber looks.  And I don't know, dont think, that these Otis kits have anything inside to clean the actual chamber with.

What do you guys do to clean the chamber?  This is messing with my OCD hard.... I just want to take off my barrels so I can clean them better but obviously that's not wise.

On a side topic, how does one clean the inside of the bolt carrier well?  I just use M-pro 7 on a wadded up patch and just run it in and out and then follow up later with clp.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 10:34:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I clean my rifles when they hit 1k rounds

I wipe the bcg down and run a patch down the barrel
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 10:35:40 AM EDT
[#2]
I use an AR-15 chamber brush with short length of rod to clean the chamber

Link Posted: 5/10/2015 10:37:35 AM EDT
[#3]
About every 500 rounds or so I'll spray the guts down with a solvent. Wipe the BCG clean with a scott shop towel, run a bore snake down the barrel, lube and call it good. Cleaning the chamber, scott shop towel and my finger works for me.

So while you may be worried your not doing it "right", your doing more than adequate. There can be something said for over cleaning, so just work on finding a good balance and don't sweat it.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 10:41:52 AM EDT
[#4]
I use a chamber cleaning brushes made for cleaning AR chambers and CLP as a cleaner. I use bronze and nylon brushes, whatever it needs. I also clean after every range trip.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 10:47:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Ya.........give that shit up!

Cleaning to such an extreme , is often more detrimental then just leaving it alone.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 10:56:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Bore snake every 500 rounds and wipe off the BCG.  Chamber brush if I've been shooting lots of wolf.

Which is twice a month.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 10:58:43 AM EDT
[#7]
The chamber brush works....but I stopped cleaning them so often.

If you aren't shooting at 600+, what will be affected by not cleaning it every trip versus the possible wear or damage caused by cleaning too frequently?
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 11:01:02 AM EDT
[#8]
This works very well for the chamber:
Chamber Brush

Link Posted: 5/10/2015 11:01:44 AM EDT
[#9]

A good way to clean the chamber/lug recesses is to put a 12-gauge patch on a .40 or .45 caliber bristle brush (I prefer the nylon type) and use a pistol cleaning rod.  I tried the little chamber-specific pads that are commercially made and they were a disappointment.

I also shy away from the chamber brushes with the steel bristles.  When I used to use them, I can't tell you how many times I saw a steel bristle break off of those brushes and stick in my bolt lug recesses.  Yes, the nylon ones can come apart too...but they do not seem to as easily, at least in my experiences.

Link Posted: 5/10/2015 11:04:14 AM EDT
[#10]

What I use, I haven't needed my bore brush yet. Never fire more than 200 rds at a time though.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 11:16:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

After bending those brass rods that I first used I bought an Otis kit for both calibers I use.  Much better with the cables.

However I am never satisfied with how the actual chamber looks.  And I don't know, dont think, that these Otis kits have anything inside to clean the actual chamber with.

What do you guys do to clean the chamber?  This is messing with my OCD hard.... I just want to take off my barrels so I can clean them better but obviously that's not wise.

On a side topic, how does one clean the inside of the bolt carrier well?  I just use M-pro 7 on a wadded up patch and just run it in and out and then follow up later with clp.
View Quote

Brass chamber brush. that's what it's made for. Dewey rod. Bore snake.

Link Posted: 5/10/2015 11:34:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
About every 500 rounds or so I'll spray the guts down with a solvent. Wipe the BCG clean with a scott shop towel, run a bore snake down the barrel, lube and call it good. Cleaning the chamber, scott shop towel and my finger works for me.

So while you may be worried your not doing it "right", your doing more than adequate. There can be something said for over cleaning, so just work on finding a good balance and don't sweat it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Ya.........give that shit up!

Cleaning to such an extreme , is often more detrimental then just leaving it alone.

This and this.

I fairly OCD, but I don't clean my weapons too much since a) they will function well beyond several thousand rounds w/o a problem and b) you avoid damage due to over cleaning.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 11:34:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I use a chamber cleaning brushes made for cleaning AR chambers and CLP as a cleaner. I use bronze and nylon brushes, whatever it needs. I also clean after every range trip.
View Quote

This, and I find that after using CLP on the wet bore patches that the dry passes makes it 'squeaky' clean which to me translates to too much friction.  I run Hoppe's no. 9 through the bore once first and find that it eliminates the squeaks thereafter (use in a well ventilated area.)
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 11:44:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I use an AR-15 chamber brush with short length of rod to clean the chamber

http://www.fulton-armory.com/images/products/detail/ChamberBrushAR15.jpg
View Quote

Yep I use a chamber brush. However I also recommend getting this kit:

http://www.amazon.com/Hoppes-5-56mm-223-Calibre-Multi-Pack-Chamber/dp/B00GWA7V4A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431272490&sr=8-1&keywords=hoppes+bore+mop

It has the chamber brush, chamber mop, and a spare brass brush.

The otis kits are awesome. I have a few myself.

Honestly there is no "right" way to clean a AR15. The only thing you "have" to do is clean the barrel and make sure the bolt is clean. Your otis kit should include a bone tool which allows you to clean the carbon off your bolt. You might want to get some good ole fashion Q-Tip and/or dental pick tool to clean some of the harder to reach spot but your otis kit should include all that minus the q-tip.

With good clp, your ar15 should function flawlessly.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 12:13:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Pull, not push.

Even with rods....
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 12:28:06 PM EDT
[#16]
I can't abide a dirty gun. I clean them thoroughly after every outing. They are spotless when I am done with them. I am partial to M-Pro 7. I use cable pulled brushes and pads to clean the barrels and bore brushes. Clean guns are happy guns.

I have to add I really love taking apart and cleaning my BCG. It's very satisfying.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 12:44:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I can't abide a dirty gun. I clean them thoroughly after every outing. They are spotless when I am done with them. I am partial to M-Pro 7. I use cable pulled brushes and pads to clean the barrels and bore brushes. Clean guns are happy guns.

I have to add I really love taking apart and cleaning my BCG. It's very satisfying.
View Quote

My poor guns, they must be awfully unhappy.  

I don't think I've thoroughly cleaned a personally owned gun in a couple years.  

Inspect, maintain, sure - lube, definitely.  Chamber brush and bore-snake every once in a while - and very rarely, do a full up bore cleaning with rods/cable and patches.  

Q-Tipping and dental picking carbon off the bolt tail and locking lug recesses?  I've got better things to do with my time, and my guns have never expressed any unhappiness, quite the opposite, as far as I can tell.  

::shrug::

In my very personal opinion -

The "I can't abide a dirty gun" attitude is a relic of a) a teaching method designed to teach and emphasize attention to detail (like shining brass and buttons) and b) from when both firearms finishes were less durable and highly likely to corrode, and ammunition left more corrosive, caustic residue.  

Modern fighting guns still need maintenance and inspection and to be taken care of - but they do not need every speck of dirt or carbon eradicated to be well maintained.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 12:48:20 PM EDT
[#18]
The only AR failure i have had was on my 20" PSA build and it was a spent case stuck in the chamber.  In the past i would just bore snake it and be done, now i use a chamber brush and then a swab.  Have not had a round stick again.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 1:02:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
A good way to clean the chamber/lug recesses is to put a 12-gauge patch on a .40 or .45 caliber bristle brush (I prefer the nylon type) and use a pistol cleaning rod.  I tried the little chamber-specific pads that are commercially made and they were a disappointment.

I also shy away from the chamber brushes with the steel bristles.  When I used to use them, I can't tell you how many times I saw a steel bristle break off of those brushes and stick in my bolt lug recesses.  Yes, the nylon ones can come apart too...but they do not seem to as easily, at least in my experiences.

View Quote

This is how to clean the chamber.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 1:04:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Bore snake every 500 rounds and wipe off the BCG.  Chamber brush if I've been shooting lots of wolf.

Which is twice a month.
View Quote

Almost exact same cleaning schedule here except i do a more thorough cleaning @ each 1k
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 1:08:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The "I can't abide a dirty gun" attitude is a relic of a) a teaching method designed to teach and emphasize attention to detail (like shining brass and buttons) and b) from when both firearms finishes were less durable and highly likely to corrode, and ammunition left more corrosive, caustic residue.  

Modern fighting guns still need maintenance and inspection and to be taken care of - but they do not need every speck of dirt or carbon eradicated to be well maintained.  

~Augee
View Quote

Some of us carry our rifles around inside our vehicles and black gunk ozzing out of the action causes a mess on clothing and the vehicle interior.

Might be a balance somewhere between OCD cleaning for just cleaning sake and keeping a filthy gun from mucking up everything else.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 1:09:41 PM EDT
[#22]
The only time they should be spick and span is when they are new.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 1:11:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 8:43:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
A good way to clean the chamber/lug recesses is to put a 12-gauge patch on a .40 or .45 caliber bristle brush (I prefer the nylon type) and use a pistol cleaning rod.  I tried the little chamber-specific pads that are commercially made and they were a disappointment...snip...
View Quote
 Thanks, Pop.  This is my method exactly.  First a .375 or .45 size nylon brush and a large patch, wet with Kroil to remove the fouling, then alcohol and dry patches to remove the oil.  I use a pistol cleaning rod for this task.

Semi auto rifles tend to foul their chambers as much as their bores.  Because you want the cartridge brass to grip the inside of the chamber upon firing, you don't want a bunch of gunk or oil coating those surfaces.  The lugs in the AR barrel extension are much less of a problem and don't accumulate dirt like the chamber itself. - CW
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 3:03:42 PM EDT
[#25]
OP; get this brush kit from Brownell's. Chamber brush and bolt carrier brush are also included, and all made from safe nylon bristle with brass wire armature. Typically I put a thin synthetic patch on a nylon bore or chamber brush and wet it with my 'CLP du jour'. That's all I do to bore or chamber and it works great. You'll need a rigid cleaning rod for these brushes although the bore brush can be used with an Otis cable. The bolt carrier brush also doubles as a brush for the A2 flash hider and muzzle crown. I also use some of these brushes in my 7.62X39 AK or SIG556R. The bolt carrier brush makes a good AK chamber brush for example. I have added other rifle caliber brushes and pistol caliber brushes to this set, so I only use nylon brushes at this time.

AR Brush Set
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 5:24:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/products/p_084424003_1.jpg

What I use, I haven't needed my bore brush yet. Never fire more than 200 rds at a time though.
View Quote

M4, where did you buy that mop?
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 11:40:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Cobalty2004,

On any new rifle I get I give it good cleaning inside and out but after that I concentrate on the BCG mostly cuz it's the heart of the rifle. When it comes to bores if your bore is chromed then usually I just spray some gun scrubber inside including the chamber and wipe it down with a patch first before I patch the bore to dry. If it's not then typical bore solvent is in order and more waiting time. When this happens I let the solvent do it's job by letting it sit for about 1/2 hour and brush and wet patch it out.

To clean it BCG I take it apart and spray some type of oil like Breakfree or Rem Oil. and scrub it with a tooth brush and wipe it using oily patches. Put the BCG back together and oil it according to the instructions.

Impala
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 1:39:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Which is twice a month.
View Quote

Im about the same when I get out to shoot.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 2:12:39 PM EDT
[#29]
I clean mine when I'm bored, sometimes that's after 50 rounds, sometimes it's after 500.

Cleaning after every range trip is pointless.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:36:42 PM EDT
[#30]
This is just my personal opinion. You can use the standard AR bore brush. If that dosnt clean to your spec there is foaming bore cleeaner or you can buy the spray cleaner like bore shine
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:55:13 PM EDT
[#31]
BCGs get torn down and tossed in the ultrasonic cleaner. Bore snake a few times after I chamber brush, hit it with Slip2000, take the BCG out and dry, lube, and reassemble.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 3:30:24 PM EDT
[#32]
My cleaning consists of a boresnake through the chamber/bore, break down bcg and wipe off what I can easily get, and and a quick wiping down of the inside of the upper Reciever and locking lug area. For the lower all I've found necessary is wiping down the face of the hammer.

I then oil up the bolt/cam pin and sliding rails on the carrier, and one drop in each friction area of the lower and that's it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 9:52:55 AM EDT
[#33]
I use a 45 cal brush on a cleaning rod. Put it in my low rpm electric drill.

I found that putting a small cloth over the brush and wet it with your choice of cleaner helps to clean and remove and residue left.

a 12ga bore brush works good on the locking lugs using the same method. the bush bristles go through the cloth and the cloth catches all the crap scraped away.

Also like to spray CLP down the bore and let sit for a while. run a bore brush through a few times then some patches and finish up with a swab.

Link Posted: 6/4/2015 9:23:05 PM EDT
[#34]
I got one of these Dewey chamber cleaning kits at a local gun shop awhile back.  Makes it a lot easier to clean the chamber.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/163348/dewey-rifle-lug-recess-and-chamber-cleaning-kit-ar-15-223-caliber
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top