Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/5/2015 11:00:18 PM EDT
Is M1 Garand grease (The dark colored stuff in a small container with the yellow lid) good to use on my AR15 internals?
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:23:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Grease has no place on the internals of an AR15.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 6:57:22 AM EDT
[#2]
My understanding is that you want oil so it can float off the crud that you get around the bolt/carrier.  Grease would trap the crud.  That is my understanding on why you should use oil and not grease on an AR.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 7:01:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Is M1 Garand grease (The dark colored stuff in a small container with the yellow lid) good to use on my AR15 internals?
View Quote

Lubriplate

I tend to follow TM 9-1005-319-10, it's just how I was raised....
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 7:18:28 AM EDT
[#4]
I've used slip 2000 grease on an AR. It tends to stay where you put it unlike liquid lubes.

B
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 9:34:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

works fine.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 9:50:59 AM EDT
[#6]
I have seen more than one AR fail at the worst possible times, and it was discovered that the owner was using grease.  This slowed the bolt carrier down to the point there were malfunctions during cycling.

A wipe out with a paper towel, and the application of CLP, and the guns were back in the competition.

Don't use grease.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 3:46:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I use Lubriplate during installation, on any pins, detents or springs that once the weapon is assembled, would not be easily accessible to lube. I also apply Lubriplate to the FCG pins.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 4:36:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I started using a tiny amount of Mobil 1 synthetic grease on the cam pin in my AR's
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 8:36:20 AM EDT
[#9]
I use moly grease on AR barrel nuts and trigger engagement surfaces, all other lubricated parts get Slip 2000 or Mobil 1 10W-30.  I used to use moly grease on the receiver rails etc. of my M1 Garand.  That M1 tradition got started with GIs because the grease will stay put and keep working for a week in the field through multiple firefights.  The problem for civilians is, the grease eventually dries out e and we don't have weapons inspections every other Saturday that forces us to remove the unused grease.  So these days, both my Garand and my ARs get a light coat of Slip 2000 on the action parts before each range session. - CW
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 10:35:42 AM EDT
[#10]
If it turns, oil it
if it slides, grease it

At least that's  what we we taught back in the dark ages.

That being said, on my AR 15 I just clean with CLP and lube with Mobil 1
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 2:57:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought tow ALG ACT triggers last week and directions said to use grease if possible on the lube points, otherwise a high quality oil...
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 7:54:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If it turns, oil it
if it slides, grease it

At least that's  what we we taught back in the dark ages.

That being said, on my AR 15 I just clean with CLP and lube with Mobil 1
View Quote

Exactly what I was taught !

Lubriplate I would buy it for my shop in 5 gallon pails.....so I use it a lot

Break Free CLP I would buy it for my shop in 1 gallon contaners

I have been experimenting with Super Lube it seams to work better at high temperatures 450 degrees and is clear.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top