Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/16/2015 7:42:17 PM EDT
What is a good temp range for this application?

I have access to Molykote SK-623 (30-302°F), will this work or should I find something 500° or higher?
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 9:02:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Aero Shell 33 MS meets the mil spec
Small jars are available from Umbrella Corp or on Ebay.
Tubes from aircraft maintenance supply houses.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 2:39:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 2:24:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I use High Temp Royal Purple it's drop point is 600 degrees. Works great and it's free from my work! (power plant)
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 2:29:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I use High Temp Royal Purple it's drop point is 600 degrees. Works great and it's free from my work! (power plant)
View Quote

Royal purple makes good stuff, I ended up using supertech wheel bearing grease. a member here just made a video on suppressor temps and done readings of the barrel and Gas block area.

Thanks for the replys!
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 3:42:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Thanks!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

Amazon has it too
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:14:58 PM EDT
[#6]
According to the spec sheets on Aeroshell and Royal purple high temp it looks like the RP may be better for barrel nuts. I will look again. I know Aeroshell is the "Mil-spec" just for a grease comparison in this specific application.

Don't burn me at the stake, All Ye Apostles of Aeroshell
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:05:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Does the Purple meet MIL-G-21164 standards?  The TM calls for that kind of grease, whoever makes it.  The spec calls for a white lithium-based grease with about 5% molybdenum disulfide, with particular viscosity and temperature characteristics.  These greases are used specifically for high pressure and temperature applications where aluminum and steel are fastened together.  Most importantly, the barrel nut is not a moving part requiring the kind of lubrication Royal Purple is so very good at.  It requires an assembly grease.  A better substitute would be a product like Dow's Molykote G-N, which is formulated for assembly rather than moving part lubrication.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 1:58:55 PM EDT
[#8]
My last build, an Aero Precision M4E1, I used some 30+ year old high temp wheel bearing grease.
Am I going to die?
Seriously, it is to prevent galling during assembly and not lubrication during use.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:10:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Motoguzzi,

You may not die but your barrel will probably just fall off one of these day!

I use High Temp Royal Purple. I'm sure my barrels are going to snap off any day now!
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 7:16:36 PM EDT
[#10]
not allowed in a technical forum, warning issued. - Roadhawk
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 10:25:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just grab some Aeroshell 33 off ebay, I got 6 30 ml small containers of aeroshell shipped for like $5, and I only used small container after assembling 3 ARs.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top