Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/11/2015 9:49:55 AM EDT

I recently purchased the Hornady hot tub 9 liter ultrasonic cleaner because
it was on sale for a good price and I liked the idea of being able to use it to
clean gun parts and the fact that it is big enough to handle a 16 inch upper.
One of my AR's is a full camo cerakoted gun. I am wondering if anyone has any
experience with ultrasonic cleaners harming a cerakote finish? If so is it the
cleaning solution or the ultrasonic action? Any advise is appreciated.

Link Posted: 4/11/2015 7:15:56 PM EDT
[#1]
It's primarily the cleaning solution, but eventually ultrasonics will damage most paint type finishes.

Cerakote is a really tough epoxy based coating so an occasional cleaning with a mild detergent shouldn't do any harm.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 7:17:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I recently purchased the Hornady hot tub 9 liter ultrasonic cleaner because it was on sale for a good price and I liked the idea of being able to use it to clean gun parts and the fact that it is big enough to handle a 16 inch upper. One of my AR's is a full camo cerakoted gun. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with ultrasonic cleaners harming a cerakote finish? If so is it the cleaning solution or the ultrasonic action? Any advise is appreciated.

View Quote

I would sell it.

Link Posted: 4/22/2015 11:02:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Not sure about the paint on the upper but I stick my Bolt Carrier and Bolt inside the ultra sonic cleaner with some 40:1 diluted Hornady Brass Cleaner and Distilled Water and it does a pretty good job of cleaning the Bolt Carrier Group, firing pin, and other small parts from the AR15.  

I do worry about the finish on the bolt and Bolt Carrier though.  I'm not sure what type of factory finish they put on the metal of the Bolt and Bolt Carrier but when it comes out of the ultra sonic cleaner it's dull looking and brassy looking in color.  The bolt is clean though.

I sent a email or message to Ambush Firearms Warranty Department asking about this as I found a chip inside the upper receiver part of my Ambush Firearms.  It looks like a small piece of the aluminum has chipped off the upper chamber area. The Bolt Carries slides by this area of the upper chamber.

I know that the Barrels metal is finished with a Salt Bath Nitride type solution.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top