Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/4/2015 1:39:12 AM EDT
I currently use Kano Kroil to clean all of my guns. Barrel, bolts, slides, receivers...
I love how great it works. But it has a very strong odor and pretty much smells up the whole house cleaning just one gun.

Can you guys recommend me an equally good (or better) cleaner that cleans barrels and cuts through carbon & grime that has very little smell or ideally NO SMELL?
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 2:53:47 AM EDT
[#1]
MPRO 7 cleaner is pretty good
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 4:02:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

That's what I use as well.

FrogLube is a pretty good cleaner, sucks as a lube though IMO. While it does smell, it smells very good....nice and minty.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 5:09:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Best "cleaner" I have used is Purple Power or the orange variant. Blow dry or leave in the sun. Spray with WD40 and then
use what ever oil.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 5:16:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's great stuff.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 8:26:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I like the smell of kroil
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 1:11:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is what I use. Almost no smell and it cleans nice.

I've also recently used Hoppes Elite and that doesn't smell either.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 2:17:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same stuff actually.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 2:21:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Mpro7 as a general cleaner, Boretech Eliminator for the rifle bore that works great on both carbon and copper, and lube w WeaponShield that works amazing and smells great.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 5:29:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm not so worried about the smell of lube. I have Hornady One Shot for pistols and Mobil 1 for rifles.
It's jut the Kroil and Ballistol that stink while cleaning.
But whenever I clean the guns in the house, I get an earful from the old lady about the smell.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 10:23:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Moro 7 has the least smell but slip 725 is close and cheaper. 725 smells like windex to me.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 10:48:03 PM EDT
[#11]
If you use a decent lubricant, "cleaning" most of the time can consist of wiping off surfaces with a paper towel and some Q tips for the cracks and crevices.

Pro Shot Copper Remover IV has little odor and will clean your bore to sparkling.

Then reapply lube.

If you need to scrub, Dawn, hot water and an old toothbrush works pretty good.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 12:44:59 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm doing alot of short-barrel suppressed shooting - so the fouling is often beyond a dry paper towel or q-tip wipe down. .

Everything on the upper is either anodized aluminum or melonite/nitride, so I suppose I'll give the old soap+water a try.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 6:44:51 AM EDT
[#13]
http://www.slip2000.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=S&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=60372

Try this kit, The Carbon cutter has a nice citris smell. The 725 degreaser and the EWL has no smell. Trick with this stuff is to wet the part being cleaned and let it soak for at least 15 mins. The EWL lube is a CLP so it cleans if the job isnt to bad.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 12:31:47 AM EDT
[#14]
I mostly use M Pro 7, no odor cleans good enough.  Also time to time use Slip 2000 725 degreaser, also little to no odor.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 7:15:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Hopped.Elite or Breakthrough work well without odor
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 9:27:32 PM EDT
[#16]
I have no personal experience with it but Fireclean supposedly does a very good job with carbon, both in cleaning and preventing buildup.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 3:37:19 AM EDT
[#17]
M-Pro 7. Great cleaner, very little smell. If you stick your nose right over an open bottle it has a weaker smell than unscented dish soap.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 3:45:28 AM EDT
[#18]
water and dawn.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:45:38 PM EDT
[#19]
I like the M Pro 7 gel
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:26:01 AM EDT
[#20]
I've seen it often on the shelf at Walmart. And after reading this thread I thought, ah what the hell, I'll give the M-Pro 7 cleaner and oil a try. I have to admit, the cleaner does a pretty good job. The oil seems to stay where I apply it and I look forward to seeing how things look after a range session.

Could it be, after all these years of using BF CLP, that I've found a replacement? We'll see!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 12:55:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Same stuff actually.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same stuff actually.

I think the company that makes Mpro-7 actually says it's similar, but slightly different.

I really like the Mpro-7, and have a like 10-year-old bottle that is still working great.  I think they say the stuff gets old though, so I should probably get some newer stuff.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 4:15:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Froglube solvent for me.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 4:17:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 11:04:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

My wife can't stand the smell of most cleaners so MPRO 7 gets used when we clean up after a range trip together.  I could use Hoppes as a an aftershave though, for some reason I think it smell glorious..
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:37:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Fireclean has no smell....
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 8:25:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I mostly use M Pro 7, no odor cleans good enough.  
View Quote

It is not superior, but does clean good enough.  From my experience, it does not do so well in near or sub 0F conditions (only a drawback if you live in a cold area).
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 6:55:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Without any doubt....... SEAL1!

Cleans great
lubes great
protects great
Completely non toxic
Comes in paste, liquid, pre treated patches, and liquid for sonic cleaning.
SMELLS LIKE BUBBLEGUM.

Edit due to Sam_ _ ng tablets crappy auto spell correct making typos that didn't exist.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 3:03:53 AM EDT
[#28]
whatever works for you, just started using froglube. i like the smell better than breakfree
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 4:27:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I think the company that makes Mpro-7 actually says it's similar, but slightly different.

I really like the Mpro-7, and have a like 10-year-old bottle that is still working great.  I think they say the stuff gets old though, so I should probably get some newer stuff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same stuff actually.

I have been using Hoppes Elite for my 1911's for a while now. I recently went to get more but it was out of stock so I tried the Mpro-7. I was disappointed in the M-pro after using the Hoppes when it comes to hard build up or brass kisses. The Mpro seems weaker. Like those vacuum cleaner commercials where the Dyson picks up dirt that the competitor left behind, the Hoppes was able to pick up stuff that the Mpro left behind. Perhaps if I was patient enough to wait 20 minutes for the Mpro to soak in like the directions say to do then I might feel differently but sorry I rather be done with that gun and on to the next or the next instead of finally getting to clean the first one. So now I have a full bottle of Mpro just sitting here.

As for lubes, I prefer Wilson Combat Ultima Universal. It has no odor and is thick enough to stay put for the majority of the year here in the desert. FP-10 is another decent lube but is a tad bit thinner and I found that it will run down the rails and over the dust cover on my carry guns during the spring and summer.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top