Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2015 6:51:32 PM EDT
I have a vise to compress the ejector. Wooden screw type vise with a .250 hole on one jaw for the tail of the bolt.  .250 hole in the other jaw in alignment with the other jaw.  Insert tail of bolt in one jaw, insert empty case and put the neck into the hole in the oposite jaw.  It easily compresses the ejector.

I can't budge the roll pin.   I have a 1/16 roll pin punch and a small brass hammer.    Nothing doing.

Suggestions?

The bcg is a psa 'seconds'  it hasn't got more than 200 rounds on it.  It's never been in weather.

Wonder about drilling it out, but I dont know if I can drill it on my benchtop drill press without messing up a bunch of carbide bits.  I assume you'd use a couple sizes smaller than 1/16, maybe drill in from either side?

Ultimately I'm trying to set up to do headspace checks, but hard to do if you can't get the ejector out.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 8:07:36 PM EDT
[#1]
let it sit in a pan of penetrating oil for a few days. If that doesn't work, I would apply some heat to it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:43:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Potentially you are compressing too far, back it off a smidgen and try again.  Or one of the ends of the tool pin has been flatten and won't push through.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:04:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Soaking now.

I did try backing off on the clamp pressure in case I was bound up on the ejector notch.   I tried it with very little compression all the way to to pretty firm clamp.  I did try it from both sides.

I'm hoping I haven't buggered the ends of the pin and made a handy spring steel rivit.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:54:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Make sure the ends of your punch haven't flared out. If they are, the punch would be too big to fit into the hole to drive out the pin.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 7:33:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have a vise to compress the ejector. Wooden screw type vise with a .250 hole on one jaw for the tail of the bolt.  .250 hole in the other jaw in alignment with the other jaw.  Insert tail of bolt in one jaw, insert empty case and put the neck into the hole in the oposite jaw.  It easily compresses the ejector.

I can't budge the roll pin.   I have a 1/16 roll pin punch and a small brass hammer.    Nothing doing.

Suggestions?

The bcg is a psa 'seconds'  it hasn't got more than 200 rounds on it.  It's never been in weather.

Wonder about drilling it out, but I dont know if I can drill it on my benchtop drill press without messing up a bunch of carbide bits.  I assume you'd use a couple sizes smaller than 1/16, maybe drill in from either side?

Ultimately I'm trying to set up to do headspace checks, but hard to do if you can't get the ejector out.
View Quote

Check the holes very carefully.  On some AR bolts, the holes for ejector roll pins are designed to only let the roll pin come out of and go into one side.

HighSpeedSteel
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:53:20 PM EDT
[#6]
The soak got it done.  2 days in a jar of eds red and the pin came out relatively easy.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 2:33:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Can the same ejector roll pin be used again or must it be replaced once removed?
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 11:58:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Kroil penetrating oil, a drop of two most of the time no need to soak overnight.  I was shown this stuff in an armorers class (thanks Sully).
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 12:00:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can the same ejector roll pin be used again or must it be replaced once removed?
View Quote

If not damaged can reuse.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 11:11:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

If it goes it easy, don't reuse it.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top