Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2015 12:13:38 PM EDT
I built my first AR a few months ago. Unlike many I like to shoot my guns as much as possible. Most of my build came prom PSA, it has a Dissipator uppe w mid length gas system and a PSA nickel boron BCG. Ive got over a two thousand rounds of various ammo through it (no steel case though)

I always heard ARs like to run wet from the infinite wisdom of being on this forum for years BUT it seems my AR runs just fine with very minimum amount of oil. "Running wet" just seems to make a caked mess inside the receiver.

So my last range trip all the lube I ran was on the 4 points that make contact with the inside of the upper receiver (wet q-tip with Mobile 1), and a single drop on the gas rings on the bolt. Needless to say the gun fired flawless and cleanup was a breeze.

What says the guys who shoot more than I?

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 12:15:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Wetter is better.  Some lubes stay put longer than others too.  CLP<Slip 2000<Fireclean in my experience.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 12:16:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 12:18:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 12:45:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Just to show. These are the four points that the bolt rides inside the receiver.

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 12:50:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Mine is practically dripping with oil, and works fine. I'd say get as wet as you can if it doesn't cause problems.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 12:54:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Mine is practically dripping with oil, and works fine. I'd say get as wet as you can if it doesn't cause problems.
View Quote
Mine has failed once and it was when I sprayed PLC into the receiver. I stripped it at the range and wiped it all down and she ran fine for a couple hundred more rounds.

Maybe my shit just likes to run dry?

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 1:03:47 PM EDT
[#7]
AR's generally like to run wet.  However, wet is not always better especially in a very dusty dry environment.  The amount and type of lubricant generally depends on temperature, dust, and humidity/water.  Of coarse there are several lubricants that work well in many different environments.  There's numerous thread in here on the best lube.  I prefer Slip 2000 EWL.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 1:23:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Wet is and has been the general rule with the AR since the 70's. But with modern lubricants and coatings there is no general rule that is going to apply to every rifle out there. You simply have to decide what works for you and your needs and nobody can do this except for you. As for me, ever since I switched everything over to Mil-Comm products I have been able to cut back on the amount of lubricant used, oil or grease, don't matter. This is the very best lubricant that I have used, and I have used most of them at one point or another. YMMV???
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 2:25:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Better to over-lube than under-lube.  You'll learn to like the smell of certain oils when they burn.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 4:11:53 PM EDT
[#10]
But if you look at the pic I posted....There is only a small amount of contact made inside the receiver. As far as the bolt itself I can see where a little bit of lube might be needed, and of course the bolt face may need a light coating.

When you guys say you run it wet, what exactly are you lubing? Spraying lube right through those holes in the BC to get the bolt itself wet?
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 5:29:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
But if you look at the pic I posted....There is only a small amount of contact made inside the receiver. As far as the bolt itself I can see where a little bit of lube might be needed, and of course the bolt face may need a light coating.

When you guys say you run it wet, what exactly are you lubing? Spraying lube right through those holes in the BC to get the bolt itself wet?
View Quote

Mainly the bolt, cam pin, and carrier contact points.  After the first few shots, most of the excess lube will be blown away anyway.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:00:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Parkerized steel needs a coating of lubricant.
I primarily use grease on the metal to metal contact areas.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:56:27 AM EDT
[#13]
I use 6 drops of oil on the carrier spread by finger. 3 drops on the bolt. 2 drops onto the cam pin while BCG is assembled.

I used to use grease, but fireclean made me a oil convert.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 12:32:52 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm using Mobile 1 engine oil combined with a Nickel boron BCG. Just wet a Q-tip and oil all the friction points (forgot to mention cam pin in earlier post)

This system has worked for me up to 300 rounds and I usually clean the rifle again.

Ive heard good things about this Slip 2000.... any advantages over what I'm currently using?

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 4:44:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm using Mobile 1 engine oil combined with a Nickel boron BCG. Just wet a Q-tip and oil all the friction points (forgot to mention cam pin in earlier post)

This system has worked for me up to 300 rounds and I usually clean the rifle again.

Ive heard good things about this Slip 2000.... any advantages over what I'm currently using?

View Quote

Besides the non-toxic aspect, I say no.

I use synthetic motor oil ( Redline 5w-20 ) and I run the bolt pretty wet and put a healthy amount of oil on the BCG rails. The rest of my ARs are pretty dry.

I sometimes think people interpret "run it wet" to mean oil slinging off with every round

The above has worked for me with up to 600 rounds/session/gun with no issues or need to relube.

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 9:19:49 PM EDT
[#16]
I run mine wet always have. Even when I was in the sandbox... If I started having problems,I'd pull my BCG,wipe it down wipe down the inside of the receiver,spray the BCG down slam it all back together and get back into the fight... Rarely had a problem though.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 9:41:01 PM EDT
[#17]

The biggest fallacy around these parts is that the AK will run if you bury it in the dirt for 87 years and the AR can only run if you baby it.

If you use this gun for the punching of paper versus the preservation of life, then only lube it up when it has a failure if that is what you are in to.  Who cares.

If you use either gun for protection of life, then maintenance is important.  Maybe, MAYBE, the AK will be more forgiving to improper maintenance.  I would never bet my life on this though, especially given how easy it is to clean and lubricate properly.  Hell, skip the clean part and only lubricate.  It takes 30 seconds for either gun.

Keep it wet enough, whether it is an AK or an AR.  I can never understand how peoples' time is so valuable that 15 mins worth of maintenance every 4 months is like pulling teeth but posting on ARFCOM for 5 min/day about 'proper' cleaning is acceptable...
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:54:30 AM EDT
[#18]
My duty weapon is lightly lubricated.  But, I am only issued 60 rounds for it so if I need to use it, a light coat of oil is plenty for 60 rounds.  

When I'm training with the rifle, I lube it well.  Reason being, I might be shooting hundreds of rounds through it and I want it to keep running.  Also, shooting it wet makes it easier to clean later.

FWIW:  I used to use Militec and liked it.  Was given some free Slip EWL and started using it when I ran out of Militec.  It works fine too.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:04:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Mobil 1.....shits dripping in it
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:11:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Throw the Mobile 1 at  it until everything is nice and wet.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 9:29:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Straight Mobil 1 5w30 motor oil?
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 10:12:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Run it wet or it will fail, guaranteed.

Link Posted: 3/12/2015 10:22:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I use Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 0w40.
Tomac
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 2:57:24 AM EDT
[#24]
I am DEFINITELY not a "wet" guy. I use Mobile 1 applied by finger tip to the four bcg rails, bolt gas rings, bolt ridge, cam pin, bolt lugs, and that's it. NO more. Dripping is waste and a dirt trap. I honestly think people that drench their whole bcg are fudds who have no idea where the friction areas are, but to each their own (more doesn't hurt, but it doesn't help either. It's just a mess). YMMV
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 3:07:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The biggest fallacy around these parts is that the AK will run if you bury it in the dirt for 87 years and the AR can only run if you baby it.

View Quote

My Romanian (run of the mill) AK is well over 1500 rounds without cleaning OR lubrication. Do not compare an AK to an AR as there is no comparison for maintenance. An AK runs cool (receiver parts) and clean (piston system) while an AR ... no.
It is not a fallacy. I love my AR's, but sorry they DO require more maintenance.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="zqL0dtIeTT8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 10:10:46 AM EDT
[#26]
I run my bcg somewhere in the middle.  On select areas(rails, bolt and cam pin) a run a few drops on  other areas I run very little if any.  Mpro has been working well
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 10:11:22 AM EDT
[#27]
double post
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 11:33:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I am DEFINITELY not a "wet" guy. I use Mobile 1 applied by finger tip to the four bcg rails, bolt gas rings, bolt ridge, cam pin, bolt lugs, and that's it. NO more. Dripping is waste and a dirt trap. I honestly think people that drench their whole bcg are fudds who have no idea where the friction areas are, but to each their own (more doesn't hurt, but it doesn't help either. It's just a mess). YMMV
View Quote

Been running AR's since 85, always used amsoil or mobile1 5-30ish, It is obvious where the wear points are if you look at your bolt and upper...that said...I do exactly as said above in the Quote. Visibly wet but not dripping. At the range I give the fire breathing dragons a quick clean and re-lube after 3 or 400 rounds. After the shooting seccision I strip and soak assembled BCG in a tub of Mobile1 for some time (10-15 min) and for the most part wipe clean.

This is what works best for me...your mileage may very.

Oh...my older brother likes his wet and sloppy with Rem Oil and that has work for him. But then again...I'm right he's wrong......
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 6:24:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

bigbore's recommended lube points

One drop on the top of the charging handle
One drop on the gas rings
One drop on the body of the bolt
One drop on the cam pin
One drop on the firing pin
Two drops on the bottom rail of the carrier
Two drops on the top of the carrier

Quoted:

... That's it. Thats all I ever use, whether I'm plinking at the range for a few minutes, or an all day carbine class. 99% of my shooting any more is suppressed, and that is still all the lube I have ever needed. I dont lube in the receiver, I dont lube my buffer/spring.

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top