Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/15/2015 7:57:55 PM EDT
Looking to start a new build with stripped upper and new barrel. What grease should I use. It's appears to be aeroshell 33m. Is this correct or is there other options available? Thanks in advace for any help.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 8:05:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Grease is for an M1/M14, not an AR.

Buy some Fireclean and don't look back.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 8:10:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Just use hookerspit.

For the barrel installation aeroshell 33ms is what you want. For anything else just use CLP and she will run like a raped ape.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 8:12:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Just a little aero shell or moly grease on the BN and Upper threads and you are GTG.

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/15/2015 9:20:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Assembly not firing.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 9:47:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I use the sticky red tractor grease
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 9:50:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Assembly not firing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Assembly not firing.

Sorry, I thought he was coating the inside of the receiver in grease.

Carry on.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 10:58:27 PM EDT
[#7]
You do not need some expensive "snake oil" lubricant. Just go your local auto parts store and buy a tube of synthetic chassis grease and you will be GTG. An excellent oil for AR's is Mobil 1.

Vince
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 11:40:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Never built an upper but I use chapstick, Burts Bees specifically, when assembling the castle nut on a buffer tube. Costs pennies, always available and works well. Any reason why it couldn't be used assembling an upper?
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 11:46:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Never built an upper but I use chapstick, Burts Bees specifically, when assembling the castle nut on a buffer tube. Costs pennies, always available and works well. Any reason why it couldn't be used assembling an upper?
View Quote

Because the grease is to keep the threads from galling. Grease holds up to the high heat of the barrel. I don't think your beeswax would holds up well in that area.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 11:51:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Molly grease. A few years ago, I found a caulk tube of molly grease at walmart. I have barreled 8 or 9 ARs and still have 80% of the tube left.

Stay away from graphite and copper anti seize.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 11:57:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Because the grease is to keep the threads from galling. Grease holds up to the high heat of the barrel. I don't think your beeswax would holds up well in that area.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks. Makes complete sense for a barrel assembly.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 12:06:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Beeswax flashpoint 400F
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 1:08:03 AM EDT
[#13]
My 2 cents, This is what I use and never had any problems removing nut and barrel.

Mystik® JT-6® Hi-Temp Grease with Moly EP #2

Got it at my local Farm n Fleet for about 3.00. Used about an ounce of the 14 in the cartridge.

Happy building.

JBL
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 4:50:27 AM EDT
[#14]
I use ARP molylube since I have on hand for my car's head studs.  You might find it at your local parts store or speed shop.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 9:41:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for all the input! I have on hand Lucas Red and Tacy #2 that I use in my shop currently. I may use it or take the leap and purchase some aeroshell 33m. I can always use a good lubricant around the shop. Thanks again guys.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 9:48:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Copper based anti-seize is what I used. Right or wrong, idk.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 11:29:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 5:16:19 PM EDT
[#18]
You can buy some of the  aeroshell grease on ebay for like $1  

It's a small container but you can do a couple builds with it

Edit : looks like they're no longer $.99, around $3-$4 now
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 7:44:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You can buy some of the  aeroshell grease on ebay for like $1  

It's a small container but you can do a couple builds with it

Edit : looks like they're no longer $.99, around $3-$4 now
View Quote

There's a member that sells a small quantity on the EE as well. I think it's in the miscellaneous ar parts section.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 8:36:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Aeroshell 33ms. If you can't find small quantities on the EE, try ebay.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 8:49:08 PM EDT
[#21]
I use anti seize paste on my uppers and barrel nuts.  One tube lasts years.  4 bucks at auto parts store.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 5:00:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I use anti seize paste on my uppers and barrel nuts.  One tube lasts years.  4 bucks at auto parts store.
View Quote

Yep. Mechanics use it on steel sparkplugs threaded in to aluminum cylinder heads. It is also used on oxygen sensors which is a high heat application.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 9:10:50 AM EDT
[#23]
I used aeroshell on mine
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 9:54:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Speaking as a certified AR15/M16 Armorer, a little bit of anti-seize on your barrel extension before barrel installation and on the threads of your barrel nut.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 3:41:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

You might want to consider sticking to the "newbie" forum. Just sayin.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 2:43:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Aeroshell 33MS...  Here is small quantity (Enough for a few barrel nuts) in a convenient package

Aeroshell 33MS
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 2:44:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Aeroshell 33MS in a convenient package (Enough for a few barrel nuts)

Aeroshell 33MS

Sorry for the Dupe
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top