Link Posted: 2/5/2015 6:56:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Tri - Flow works great for me.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 6:57:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Mobile-1 synthetic
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 7:05:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Sewing machine oil with a couple pinches of powdered moly, WTR (Wide Temp Range) grease. Trying Rotella T diesel engine oil on bolt carrier to fight carbon deposits.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 7:24:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Lucas Gun Oil.

Will be looking into a lube for freezing temperatures.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 11:10:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lucas Gun Oil.

Will be looking into a lube for freezing temperatures.
View Quote

That Lucas actually works.  I didn't think it would.

Slip EWL works great in the cold.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 11:46:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I use either LP, CLP or Mobil 1 5W30. Just depends on what I grab while I'm sitting at the bench.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 12:45:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

it really is the only thing anyone needs.  The testing done on this, properties, extreme limits on both ends of the spectrum, protection, availability, and cost make this the absolute best there.

If people knew the testing that mobil 1 did they'd stop spending ridiculous monies on snake oils
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mobil 1 synthetic $6 a quart for a lifetime supply. Have been using it for many years on all my firearms. Never felt the need to chase the "snake oil" gun lubes.

V

it really is the only thing anyone needs.  The testing done on this, properties, extreme limits on both ends of the spectrum, protection, availability, and cost make this the absolute best there.

If people knew the testing that mobil 1 did they'd stop spending ridiculous monies on snake oils

Never mind.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 4:26:27 PM EDT
[#8]
slip 2000 ewl
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 5:32:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Breakfree CLP, it's cheap.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 10:06:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Lucas gun oil. MPro 7.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:52:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Never mind.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mobil 1 synthetic $6 a quart for a lifetime supply. Have been using it for many years on all my firearms. Never felt the need to chase the "snake oil" gun lubes.

V

Never mind.

no pipe up....
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 5:50:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Eezox gun care. Comes in a camouflage tin. Amazing stuff. I have tried clp, hoppes, hoppes synthetic,  Mpro7, and kroil. And kroil is great stuff too. I use that around in the garage. Got the ingredients to mix mix up some of that Ed's Red bore cleaner buy haven't made it yet.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 11:07:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

no pipe up....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

V

Never mind.

no pipe up....

Mobil 1 did very poorly in a test not conducted by Mobil, but Valvoline did significantly better. Royal Purple Racing oil did the best.

http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil%20Tests.pdf

I don't use any of these lubes, but my point would be that your statement about the testing that Mobil 1 did may be just a little bias on their part?

Of 18 different brands of motor oil. The most surprising part is how poorly the Mobil 1 performed. It shown a lot of wear in the test compared to other brands of motor oil.

Take this with a grain of salt, but this is what I found.

Do you have any links where Mobil outperformed everything else. A test on firearms would be a good proving ground.

I decided that I could care less either way and that is why I said "never mind" so I'll leave it to you to pursue this any further if you want.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 11:57:17 PM EDT
[#14]
The link doesn't work
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 12:08:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Slip 2000.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 12:13:59 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Breakfree CLP, it's cheap.
View Quote
All the Test I have seen CLP always top, 3-5 has little odar and also can be used as a cleaner.

Shit got me looking anyone use

Eezox

Link Posted: 2/13/2015 12:23:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Shit now I am getting some Eezox
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 12:41:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The link doesn't work
View Quote

Have you ever heard of copy and paste?
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 6:34:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

V
View Quote

I had never heard of using motor oil before joining this forum, it would seem,to the most readily available and cost effective solution. Any cons?
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 1:01:40 PM EDT
[#20]
The best thing I have found for lubricating ARs is something lubricious. I'd try oil or grease.

B
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 1:50:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Nothing but Mil-Comm products touch all my firearms these days. It ain't cheap, but quality seldom is. Keep the motor oil in your motor, use a product designed to lubricate firearms. Flame Suit on, lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 3:32:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Liberty Gun Lube
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 7:48:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for the reply Alaska511. Do you usually apply a generous amount for cold weather shooting or do you cut back on the amount after a certain temp?
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 8:19:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Slip 2000 ewl
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:31:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Has anyone used or seen xf-7 gun gresse seen it at gun show looked interesting sapposibly used by military but would like some feed back from everything i seen looks like good stuff
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:17:06 PM EDT
[#26]
I am a mobil 1 guy as well but would like to hear about Royal Purple racing oil if it is truly better than Mobil 1.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:29:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Synthetic motor oil.  Specifically the kind designed for extreme duty in direct injection turbocharged commercial diesel and gasoline turbo racing engines.  The detergent additives are especially good to prevent carbon deposits, and the oil survives heat of over 1500 degrees F. as it bathes the turbo bearings.  This is the harshest operating conditions.  

The preferred direct injection turbo synthetic is Shell Rotella T-6 5w40.  Mobile 1 shears badly in the oil analysis in these engines.  Royal Purple even worse.  That's why  I use T-6 in my tuned and high boost turbo Mazdaspeed 3 and in my AR.  And one $6 quart will last a lifetime as AR lube.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 3:52:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Amsoil Premium in my new diesel

I have half my ARs slicked up with Amsoil Signature 0w20, and the other half on Lucas's new gun oil since I ran out of SlipEWL.  I am going to try the coveted Fireclean when my can arrives.

The 3 I listed work great, through thousands of round in many ARs.  No complaints.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 4:10:19 AM EDT
[#29]
I use:

Slip 2000 (for AR-15's)
WeaponShield (for pistols)
Breakfree CLP (for shotguns, bolt actions, lever, misc)

I don't mind using Mpro7, Hoppes or any other oil that comes with cleaning kits--they all seem about the same as CLP to me. But I refuse to use Eezox, because the smell and dr goes away! I use Remington dry lube for my reloading dies, firing pins, and internal mechanical parts that I don't want to gunk up. I don't use Remoil though because it dries out overnight.

Slip2000 seems to stay wet the longest by far, which is why I use it for my AR-15's. WeaponShield seems thicker and slipperier than regular CLP, plus it smells good.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 12:20:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Nobody posted this yet?

Good old ATF, but I do like Nyoil.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 2:21:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Awesome!  Another lube thread.

Everyone has the right to use what they prefer, but you asked so 'I'll give my opinion.

First, for all the non-toxic(Frog Lube, M-Pro 7, etc.) users, remember that lead is toxic.  I understand that your cleaner/lube is non-toxic, but cleaning your weapons inside or around children is a bad idea.  Lead dust and particles are not something I want in my home or around my children.

Second, I'd like to talk about motor oil/transmission fluid use on firearms.   I do not doubt that they will do an excellent job lubricating a firearm.  In my opinion however, they stink.  I don't want to smell motor oil or tranny fluid while I shoot or clean/ lube my guns.  I understand they are less expensive, but if you can't afford $8 for a 4 oz bottle of gun oil once a year, you probably dont need any lube because you can't afford to shoot your guns.

After 20 years of shooting, including 4 years in the military and 12 years as a LEO, I have a collection of half  used bottles of gun oil(Hoppes, Outers, Breakfree CLP, LSA, and FP-10).  They all work in my experience.  I usually grab whatever bottle is closest.  Lately however, I have been using the FP-10 more.  Not because I feel that it is a superior lube.  I just think it smells pleasant.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 2:22:35 PM EDT
[#32]
If operating in extreme temps or conditions(Alaska, Middle East) then I would be concerned about using a specialized lube product.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 2:54:09 PM EDT
[#33]
double tap
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 2:57:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Butch's Bore Shine for solvent
Mobil 1 or CLP for oil
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 5:41:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Try M-Pro 7 LPX gun oil and you will leave motor oil where it belongs, in a crank case.

Sure engine oil lubricates but so does water. Seriously motor oil is designed to be stored in a reservoir and pumped on moving parts.
It is designed to be constantly replaced on parts by direct pressure or sprayed on and its additive package is is tailored to last over 3K miles.

Firearms do not require many of the automotive additives, anti foaming for instance. Gun oil is designed to be applied, used, wiped off and applied again.
If I was broke or stuck some where without gun oil would I use engine oil, sure.

I get a kick out of folks who buy or build a weapon costing $1k and up and then brag about still using that quart of oil that cost $3 and is still half full after 20 years.
They are probably using Crisco or vegetable oil instead of KY jelly cause it's cheap and lube is lube bro!

As long as I can afford to build and shoot a rifle I will treat it to an oil designed for it. I had just purchased a 16 ounce bottle of Weapon Shield oil before I tried LPX.
Now the Weapon Shield, which is great oil, just sits unused.

Of course this is only my opinion and is not meant to offend anyone happily using motor oil or Crisco.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 6:41:36 PM EDT
[#36]
I've tried every thing imaginable from Slip 2k EWL, Rand CLP, Mobil 1 and about a dozen others.  Everything worked just fine but now I just stick to Breakfree CLP.  It works, it's easy to find locally and cheap.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:54:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Nevermis556 I'll take that bottle of weapon shied off your hands I've been looking for some. If you want to get rid of it let me know. Brad
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 10:11:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Royal Purple synthetic oil
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/9/2015 10:30:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
M-pro7
View Quote

This....    Best I've ever used.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 8:16:20 PM EDT
[#40]
I just ordered Mil-Comm gun oil & gun grease in the .5 oz syringes with reclosable tip. No doubt it is high quality stuff, but I mainly wanted the precision applicator. Once these syringes are empty, there is no telling what I will refill them with (probably Mobil 1 since it seems to have the most votes in this thread).
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 2:38:05 AM EDT
[#41]
Have been running Slip 2000 EWL and Fireclean for awhile but just picked up a bottle of Weapon Shield. $25 for 16 OZ beats the hell out of the prices on the others.

Hopefully I like it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 1:20:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Break-Free CLP
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:16:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Don't know about firearms...but I use Royal Purple in my Harley and F150.    have for years.   After I drain it from my Harley every 4k miles - I use it in my lawnmowers.

Have not had a motor issue in my lawn mower, so  the oil must be doing its job.

I haven't bought gun oil in a while. I was getting low, but got a free bottle of slip 2000 at a gun show and BCM included the same brand in the box when I ordered an upper from them a couple months back, so I'm good for awhile.

actually, I have been using free stuff for the last 3 years.   I guess I will just use Royal Purple if I am ever low. I always have a quart or two in the garage.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:09:27 PM EDT
[#44]
I lube my ARs with Breakfree LP and I have a lot of "luck" with my rifles.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:39:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I checked the site, and didn't see a thread for this, (sorry in advance if there is one and I didn't see it) so I'm making this a thing.  I'm looking to get away from Hoppe's.  All of their stuff is pretty good, but I'm sure there's something better out there.  What do y'all use/recommend?
View Quote

I don't use it on my firearms, but I do use it...

Link Posted: 5/10/2015 8:34:12 PM EDT
[#46]
For what, flogging the eh-uh, you know.

Sorry i know im new but i had to
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 3:02:34 AM EDT
[#47]
ive just starting using froglube, smells like wintergreen dip and seems to clean good. any lube will work perfect, just find one you like!
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 8:37:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Used all of the brands listed. I've never had a lube not lube my rifle. I will say that I have been using Rand CLP lately and have been very impressed. The only thing I don't recommend for hard use are really thin oils like hoppes elite or similar.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 3:11:14 PM EDT
[#49]
15w-40 Diesel oil, usually Rotella or Delo. Whatever is on sale at Costco.

Don't own a diesel, but my Jeep 4.0 prefers if (solid lifters need the high ZDDP) and it keeps my high mileage Ford 4.0 V6 nice and quiet. Fill up a handful of oilers with it and never run out. If I forget it, I know where to find some more if my car is nearby.

I run diesel oil in every single gun I own now, from ARs to AKs to bolt rifles. No need for anything else. Works great, barely drips off over time, and oh yeah... LOVE THE SMELL.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 3:47:28 PM EDT
[#50]
I use G96 Gun Treatment, if its good enough for BCM its good enough for me. When I purchased my upper from them, it had this smell to it that was very nice. Found out what it was and had to order online. None of the LGS carried the stuff. It seems to work well and has a pleasant odor, so the wife doesn't mind me cleaning.
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top