Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/17/2014 6:48:55 PM EDT
Hi,
  New to Ar15. Been running my DPMS 16" 5.56 1.7 twist. Lubed from new with Slip2000, always run wet. Started getting fails to extract and fails to eject.

Stripped down only to find BCG would fall off the bolt doing the drop test.

Only fired 1500 rds. I have seen other posts on AR15 archives with folks having similar problems as me, on a wide range of makes.

The common factor seems the use of slip2000.

Anyone else out there had similar issues.

I am now switching to mobil 1.    
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:56:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Interesting. Tag for a discussion hopefully. My PSA premium bcg fails that test after 1k rounds but the AR still works flawlessly, I don't have any issues with it at all. I use slip 2000 as well.

ETA: 200 to 2000, fat fingers...

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:05:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Not the Slip at issue here...could be a bur/gouge in the carrier, or just that set of rings....crap happens.  I had a brand new Spikes BCG that puked the gas rings at under 700rds.  I replaced those a few thousand ago with DPMS rings and its still fine.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:15:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Hi,   New to Ar15. Been running my DPMS 16" 5.56 1.7 twist. Lubed from new with Slip2000, always run wet. Started getting fails to extract and fails to eject.
Stripped down only to find BCG would fall off the bolt doing the drop test.
Only fired 1500 rds. I have seen other posts on AR15 archives with folks having similar problems as me, on a wide range of makes.
The common factor seems the use of slip2000.
Anyone else out there had similar issues.
I am now switching to mobil 1.    
View Quote

I agree with the last post, it's probably not the Slip2000 at fault, probably a burr/rough inner bore ate the rings. Look up filthy14 used by Pat Rogers at EAG, and all that was used on that rifle was slip2000, at last count was 44,835+ rounds (a BCM middy) and back in BCM's hands now I believe. I really like Mobil1 as a lubricant, but I also use Slip 2000 with fine results.

There are sometimes weird coincidences that lead us to strange conclusions (I've done it), I do not think Slip2000 can be blamed for gas ring failures with regular use. Look for Filthy14 data, is an interesting read.

Edit to add--> I looked for info on Filthy 14 and corrected my number, as of last week the round count was 44,000+ per Pat Rogers. Linky referring to Filthy14

OP, have seen rings go fast in a few newer BCGs, first set. Maybe you received soft rings, or slightly rough bore on the carrier. Maybe a bad batch of Slip2000, but unlikely. I am big on using Mobil1, it works. But I still believe Slip2000  is a good lube that stays pretty wet in my uses. Good luck with figuring this out.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 3:05:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks Guys. Yes I have seen that happen, burrs usually either break a ring or gouges them, I checked for burrs when I got as I know it can be an issue. My rings were worn down and the first an last ring were burred over on their edge as if they were dry running in the BCG. What I did notice was when I cleaned the bolt was always very dry,  the Slip 2000 was just non existent. Unlike the Mobil 1.
Just my observation.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:56:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Presuming your rings look OK, the test is if the bolt falls out of the carrier.
Weapons with a few hundred rounds can have the carrier fall off the bolt.
You should check your gas key and look for other gas leaks or blockage.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top